Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help me understand something about multiple NINJAs please.  (Read 3412 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Help me understand something about multiple NINJAs please.
« on: December 21, 2008, 12:12:32 AM »

I am using a NINJA to pan a microphone not a camera. AFAIK, The switched power supply (XM14a) that came with the NINJA is not being switched with one NINJA, but the remote is talking directly to the NINJA.

If I get another NINJA to pan another microphone, The NINJA power supplies need to be shut off so only one is active as a panner at any one time.

Is this because all the NINJAs respond to the remote at the same RF remote "address" or frequency, or is it because no more than 1 video stream can be tolerated?

If they all respond to the same frequency, then I could see why they would need to be turned on exclusively.

Thanks in advance,

:Ron

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Help me understand something about multiple NINJAs please.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:03:54 AM »

The NINJA power supplies are turned on and off by a X10 Power Line signal. They work in groups of 4 Unit Codes and the same House Code.
So you use Same House Code and Units 1-4;5-8;9-12 and 13-16. Turning on any one in the group is supposed to turn off the other three. Any other unit not in the group or with a different House Code will stay on. Also when powered up they default to on.
The RF pan and tilt signal directly controls the base. So if more than one is on all will follow the remote.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:35:32 AM »

The RF pan and tilt signal directly controls the base. So if more than one is on all will follow the remote.

Which would mean... since bitman will actually be controlling "microphones" [and not cameras]... a normal camera setup wouldn't be optimal.

If you only need to adjust the position of two microphones:  Try plugging the addressable power supply of the 1st Ninja/microphone to be adjusted into an appliance module (or adaptor modified socket rocket). That would allow you to turn that ninja off (thus freezing its position) while you then adjust the position of the 2nd Ninja/microphone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »

OK Thanks.

I really just wanted to use the ninja power supply on another unrelated device and plug a standard wal wart into the ninja but I see with more than 1 ninja that can't happen and still attain exclusive panning.

Boy, the XM14a power supplies are scarce as hen's teeth. They are really neat devices. Looks like I'll have to call x10 now again.  ::)

Thank you gentlemen.

:Ron

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 09:13:23 AM »

If he uses the C1-C4 buttons to select a camera and the addresses on the supplies match the remotes. They should cycle on and off as each camera is chosen. Even though there is a microphone on the base. That is if the power line signals are reaching the supplies from the RF transceiver being used to receive the commands.

bitman. What X10 transceiver are you using to process the camera on and off RF commands from the remote?

bitman

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »

CM15A.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:09:45 PM »

I believe you have done other CM15 tests in other threads.
Can you verify the remote can actually reach the CM15's receiver.
Maybe you can send a signal locally from the CM15 to the Ninja bases address and see if it can control them. If not we may have a power line signal issue.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.