Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help Needed -- Upgrade From Activehome To Activehome Pro Failing  (Read 22607 times)

jharris2

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Help Needed -- Upgrade From Activehome To Activehome Pro Failing
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:33:18 AM »

Why can't Activehome Pro and CM15A control the same devices like Activehome and CM11A?

Been using Activehome for years without issue.  We use it to control a few lights (especially Christmas lights this time of year) and the water pump for the hot water system.  The important part is the water pump so that we have hot water when we wake up in the morning.   ;D

Got a new computer (XP Pro, SP3) that doesn't have a serial port, so needed to go to USB support.  No problem, updated to Activehome Pro and CM15A interface.  Installation went smoothly, and the software and hardware talk to each other fine.  The CM15A is on more than 20 feet of USB cable, using the cable supplied in the box plus a 16-foot Vantec CB-USBARC repeater cable.  Plugged the CM15A into the same outlet where the CM11A was, across the room from the computer.

Tested the CM15A and old modules using the Intro Wizard.  All worked fine, so ready to move to the next step.  This is gonna be a breeze!

Imported the old timers from Activehome to Pro -- they seemed to import fine, then downloaded the timers to the CM15A.  So far, so good.  But, none of the timers worked -- nothing turned on or off at its appointed time, meaning that the CM15A is not controlling the devices using timers.  Using the computer to generate manual commands and using RF both work perfectly -- devices turn on and off as they are supposed to.

After a lot of searching and investigation, I found some posts on the forum and in the knowledgebase that indicate that the AHX file could be corrupted, so I created a new home file and rebuilt the timers.  Made sure to use the advanced interface to ensure that "repeat" and "store in interface" are checked.  Cleared the CM15A memory and downloaded again.  Same issue, the CM15A does not turn devices on or off.  Tried it while connected to the USB cable and while disconnected, no difference.

Activity Monitor does not show any commands being issued by the CM15A, although it records all RF commands and those issued manually from the software.

It doesn't make sense that the CM11A and the old software would work, while the CM15A and new software don't.  The CM15A is in the same outlet where the CM11A was, so we can eliminate many variables associated with a new installation.

What am I missing? 

Thanks in advance for the advice and patience!

jharris2

Re: Help Needed -- Upgrade From Activehome To Activehome Pro Failing
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 01:43:54 AM »

One other interesting symptom -- I just used Tools - Hardware Configuration to look at the CM15A again.  The memory usage box showed dashes for all categories, as if the interface was empty.  I re-downloaded the timers and now there are numbers there (95.44% available memory).  Maybe the timers didn't successfully download?  Guess we'll find out if we have cold water in the morning!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 04:08:04 AM »

Imported the old timers from Activehome to Pro - [then saved the file?] -  then downloaded the timers to the CM15A. 

An early mistake I made (not saying you made it) was I simply forgot to save the file [by name]. Without a saved file... I had no timers to download to the interface (that would explain the early no memory used).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 09:32:13 AM »

I recall a checkbox I missed the first time I used AHP that has to be checked to download that command to the CM15A.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

jharris2

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was optimistic this morning, but alas the water pump didn't do as programmed.  The Activity Monitor has no new entries for the time when the timers should have been sent out.  So it's clear that there is something awry.

So as to not make any assumptions, I followed your suggestions.  First, I ran the Intro Wizard again and all works fine.  Everything passed with flying colors, although it seems odd that when it creates the 60-second timer, what is reflected in the Activity Monitor is a macro.

Next, I created a new timer for a new module as a test.  Tried to clear the interface memory, but it still showed as having 95.44% available.  Downloaded the timers and macros, then Hardware Configuration showed 94.77% available memory, so something was stored.  Timer did not execute.

Then, I created a new house file with a single module and timer, saved the file, cleared the interface (it showed as empty), and downloaded the timer to the CM15A.  No joy and no change in symptoms.

To eliminate the length of the USB cable as a factor, I moved the CM15A next to the computer via a short USB cable and used an extension cord to connect the CM15A to the outlet.  No joy.  Manual control through remotes and through the AHP software work fine.

For some reason, the CM15A seems to be able to store timers and macros but does not independently execute them.  That isn't normal based on my experience with the CM11A.

Any other ideas?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »

Hmm... Not sure what else to try.

Are you making sure macros are not  set to run from PC?
(Macros run from PC aren't downloaded to the CM15A and require the PC to be on and running AHP.)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

jharris2

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 03:06:20 PM »

(Macros run from PC aren't downloaded to the CM15A and require the PC to be on and running AHP.)
How do you check that?  I have "Store in Interface" checked.  Have also tried unchecking then rechecking it.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »

How do you check that?  I have "Store in Interface" checked.  Have also tried unchecking then rechecking it.

Having "Store in Inteface" checked would be correct.

What is the version number of your AHP software?

What kind of module are you trying to control with the timer?

Have you tried in "Tools" setting all house codes to "transceived"?  There was some sort of issue way back when where timers and macros didn't work unless the house code was checked to be tranceived.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

jharris2

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »

Having "Store in Inteface" checked would be correct.

What is the version number of your AHP software?

What kind of module are you trying to control with the timer?

Have you tried in "Tools" setting all house codes to "transceived"?  There was some sort of issue way back when where timers and macros didn't work unless the house code was checked to be tranceived.
Thanks -- we'll get this one sorted out yet!  AHP version is 3.236 dated September 3, 2008, with the Smart Macros, iWatchOut, MyHouseOnline, and OnAlert plug-ins.  All of these were downloaded last week, but using just the base software for now.  The CM15A is also new, having arrived from X10 just a few days ago.

The modules are 3-pin appliance modules (AM466) and lamp modules (LM465).  We currently have 6 appliance modules and 4 lamp modules to control.  After Christmas it will be 1 appliance module and 2 lamp modules.

The monitored house codes is set to A.  The transceived house codes field was originally set to "Auto" but I have since tried specifying A and specifying all without success.

It also seems strange that if I clear the interface memory, the Hardware Configuration dialog does not show it as empty, even after restarting AHP.

Boiler

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »

Thanks -- we'll get this one sorted out yet!  AHP version is 3.236 dated September 3, 2008, with the Smart Macros, iWatchOut, MyHouseOnline, and OnAlert plug-ins.  All of these were downloaded last week, but using just the base software for now.  The CM15A is also new, having arrived from X10 just a few days ago.

The modules are 3-pin appliance modules (AM466) and lamp modules (LM465).  We currently have 6 appliance modules and 4 lamp modules to control.  After Christmas it will be 1 appliance module and 2 lamp modules.

The monitored house codes is set to A.  The transceived house codes field was originally set to "Auto" but I have since tried specifying A and specifying all without success.

It also seems strange that if I clear the interface memory, the Hardware Configuration dialog does not show it as empty, even after restarting AHP.

JHarris,

As others have attested, it sounds like you've got all your settings correct.  V3.236 is the latest version as well.

When in doubt - pull the batteries from the CM15a and unplug it for a few minutes. 

jharris2

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »

JHarris,

As others have attested, it sounds like you've got all your settings correct.  V3.236 is the latest version as well.

When in doubt - pull the batteries from the CM15a and unplug it for a few minutes. 
Funny that when I saw your post, I had just done that!  Gives me confidence that I'm on the right track.  Unfortunately, it didn't help.

So the next step I took was to uninstall and reinstall the software from scratch.  This time around, to reduce complexity, I installed just AHP and not the additional plug-ins.  No change in behavior.

Thanks for the help so far.  Open to any additional ideas.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »

Yes, as Boiler stated, everything sounds correct.

Some people have been unable to get timers to work in 3.236.

I'm running out of ideas.

Are you clicking the little clock on the module icon to create the timer, or some other route?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Boiler

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 08:34:18 PM »

Funny that when I saw your post, I had just done that!  Gives me confidence that I'm on the right track.  Unfortunately, it didn't help.

So the next step I took was to uninstall and reinstall the software from scratch.  This time around, to reduce complexity, I installed just AHP and not the additional plug-ins.  No change in behavior.

Thanks for the help so far.  Open to any additional ideas.

JHarris,

Congratulations - your first day on the Job and you've already found a bug.

I can confirm that the AM466 interface is seriously whacked when using a timer (haven't tried a macro yet).

Please try the AM486 (2 PIN appliance) interface - should work a bit better for you.

BTW - that rates a helpful.  Had you not been so methodical in your testing, this might have gone uncovered for some time.  You've already helped several forum members by doing this.

Boiler

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 08:52:44 PM »

JHarris, Congratulations - your first day on the Job and you've already found a bug....
Ditto on the congradulations!

...I can confirm that the AM466 interface is seriously whacked when using a timer (haven't tried a macro yet)....
I'm pretty sure the timers I have set for my AM466s are working but the timers were setup before  I updated. I'll have to keep an eye on them and see.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

jharris2

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »

Yes, as Boiler stated, everything sounds correct.

Some people have been unable to get timers to work in 3.236.

I'm running out of ideas.

Are you clicking the little clock on the module icon to create the timer, or some other route?
I'm clicking the little clock to create the timers.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.