Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dim Multiple Lights at Once?  (Read 5110 times)

kevinvinv

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Dim Multiple Lights at Once?
« on: December 21, 2008, 11:19:58 PM »

How do i get multiple lights to dim at once?   Currently,  when I invoke my Dim for Movie macro-   all the lights dim one after the other... not all at the same time...  Any ideas?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Dim Multiple Lights at Once?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 05:57:52 AM »

How do i get multiple lights to dim at once? 

It was building my Home Theater that got me into X10! I thought controlling the lights by remote would add a real coolness factor... and it did.

However.... the only way I can think of (off the top of my head) to dim all your lights at the same time... is set them on the same House/Unit code.

What I finally settled on was a lot different than I originally thought I would do. The only time I turn the can (ceiling) lights on full bright is to vacuum up the popcorn. I use an AHP macro to set the ceiling lights to a pre-dimmed condition... and to turn off and.. dim to off as the movie starts...... triggered by pushing a "watch a movie" button on the remote. I think this best allows for viewers eyes to adjust... and not feel as though someone switched the lights off.

Then when the movie ends (I have to press the END button on the remote) I use a completely separate set of lights (cabinet lights) to re-light the room. The soft indirect lights doesn't hurt peoples eyes. The same END macro/function turns on hall/stairs lights for safe exits.

I also added a short set of rope lights concealed under a bar/counter that I leave on during the movies. It doesn't distract from the screen and yet provides just enough light so viewers can see to go to the restroom, refresh a drink, get some more popcorn... whatever.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:09:47 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

kevinvinv

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »

Well- the funny thing is that about a year ago I set up a macro for "movie dim" and it dimmed ALL my lights at once...  then I had to re-install AHP and I lost my AHP macro file and now that I recreated everything (from memory)- it dims the lights one at a time....

The funny thing is that somehow I had it working the way I wanted it... but now _ I cant figure out how to do it.

I know it should be possible b/c using a Maxi controller- I can do it manually... just sent multiple addresses....  THEN the dim command... and it works fine.   How to do that in AHP though- has escaped me so far...

Does this jar any ideas ?

Thanks!!

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:32:02 AM »

Well- the funny thing is that about a year ago I set up a macro for "movie dim" and it dimmed ALL my lights at once...  then I had to re-install AHP and I lost my AHP macro file and now that I recreated everything (from memory)- it dims the lights one at a time....

The funny thing is that somehow I had it working the way I wanted it... but now _ I cant figure out how to do it.

I know it should be possible b/c using a Maxi controller- I can do it manually... just sent multiple addresses....  THEN the dim command... and it works fine.   How to do that in AHP though- has escaped me so far...

Does this jar any ideas ?

Thanks!!

Kevin,

Yes you can do this the same way using Macro's in AHP.  The trick is that the Dim% must match exactly.

Macro Example -
Set A1 Dim 30%
Set A2 Dim 30%
Set A3 Dim 30%

The above will be sent as (activity monitor)-
Transmit A1 (address units)
Transmit A2
Transmit A3
Transmit A Dim 30% (dim all addressed units)

Using a different dim % would result in individual dimming:
Macro
Set A1 Dim 30%
Set A2 Dim 30%
Set A3 Dim 31%

The above will be sent as (activity monitor)-
Transmit A1 (address units)
Transmit A2
Transmit A Dim 30% (dim A1 and A2 addressed units)
Transmit A3
Transmit A Dim 31% (dim all addressed units)

kevinvinv

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:51:58 AM »

Interesting...  good hint... still doesnt work for me though...

My Macro says

Turn Family Room 1 on and dim to 1%
Turn Family Room 2 on and dim to 1%
Turn Stairs on and dim to 1%
Turn Entry on and dim to 1%

(Note that all the dims are equal)

The activity monitor says

A1 (Family Room 1)
A Bright 100%
A Dim 99%

A2 (Family Room 2)
A Bright 100%
A Dim 99%

etc...

Any thoughts on what I am screwing up here?

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »

In my family room I have two lamps that I can dim (concurrently) with a macro when we are ready to watch movies.  I use an HR12A remote to activate a macro (L10 Off) to dim Lamps (L4 and L5) to 40%.  These are Set Absolute.   Both lamps dim concurrently.  And then I activate a macro (L10 On) to turn the lights on (Set Absolute) at the end of the movie.   kevinvinv -- the only difference I see in your setup and mine is that I already have the lights on and then set them to an absolute setting.  Whereas, you turn on your lights and them use a dim setting.  Try using a Set Absolute setting.

kevinvinv

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »

Been messing with that a bit....   but how do I do that?   How do I set an absolute DIM... I clicked that set absolute button and not much changes....   

I did try turning them ON first and THEN doing the DIM but the activity monitor outputs dont change much-- really not at all as far as the dim sequence goes.  I wonder if using a different module in AHP would help.  I wish I could just write some manual code here!!

I'll keep trying...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:47:36 PM by kevinvinv »

Boiler

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 01:22:20 PM »

Been messing with that a bit....   but how do I do that?   How do I set an absolute DIM... I clicked that set absolute button and not much changes....   

I did try turning them ON first and THEN doing the DIM but the activity monitor outputs dont change much-- really not at all as far as the dim sequence goes.  I wonder if using a different module in AHP would help.  I wish I could just write some manual code here!!

I'll keep trying...

Kevin,

I just created the Macro you described using V3.236 - doesn't work for me either???

I downgraded to V3.204 and things again function as they had before.  I don't know if downgrading is an option for you.  Apparently X10 fixed something that wasn't broken with the V3.236 release (If memory serves, that's called an enhancement).

Here's a link for V3.204 (you shouldn't need to re-register): ahp_updt_204.exe

kevinvinv

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:43:12 PM »

I was seriously starting to wonder about the version upgrade that came when i last downloaded Smart Macro's... I'll downgrade immediatly!!!

Thanks!!

I tried almost everything I could think of and was really running out of ideas.

Thanks again!  I'll try to downgrade ASAP.

kevinvinv

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »

Yep-  I confirm that downgrading fixes the problem... THANKS so much for all of your help here!!!   I am actually very very thankful.  I'll do my best to return the favor to someone else.

KV. :)%

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.