Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help modifying an SR227 to prevent CFL from flicker when off  (Read 8571 times)

GS|FON

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help modifying an SR227 to prevent CFL from flicker when off
« on: December 21, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »

Hi,

What can I do to modify the SR227 to prevent the CFL from flickering. I assume there is some current sense leakage current and I want to get rid of it. I've seen the tutorials for the appliance module but never seen pictures for the SR227.

Please help!

Thanks,
GS|FON

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Help modifying an SR227 to prevent CFL from flicker when off
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 09:01:54 PM »

If you have a lamp plugged into a the Controlled outlet on a SR227, try a cube tap into the outlet, then on one side the lamp and the other a night light.  That should kill the flicker when off.  This trick also works with appliance modules controlling a CFL.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

GS|FON

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »

I did see that posted and thought it was a neat idea. Just wondering if there was a way to modify the SR227 because i'm quite handy with electronics and i shouldn't settle for a quick fix :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »

... Just wondering if there was a way to modify the SR227

I haven't even seem any modifications where anyone has even opened a SocketRocket.... and put it back together.

The SR227 is the switched receptacle, not the socket rocket.

The SR227 is essentially a re-packaged appliance module.  A quick Google search turned up a post on how to remove the local control from the SR227.  However, that will not solve the CFL flickering problem because the unit must sense the position of the relay.  That puts a slight current into the load.  It is not possible to remove that portion of the circuit without causing the unit to malfunction.  FYI, here is the thread:

http://www.x10community.com/marko/2006/06/disabling_the_local_control_fe.html

While many people advise against it, we have used the ordinary lamp modules with CFLs since they were first introduced.  These lights are never controlled manually, and are only switched ON and OFF by the Ocelot.  As long as you have the older type of lamp module that does not have the ramp on/off, it should work fine.  None of our CFLs flicker when off.

Jeff
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 09:41:14 AM by JeffVolp »
X-10 automation since the BSR days

ThegateII

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:33:07 PM »

Just in case some are still searching for that (or need a validation it's working)... I modded two of my sr227 used to control CFLs in my inhouse hydroponic garden and it works perfectly now. There's TWO IN4004 DIode on the sr227 board, locate the one just near the big bleu capacitor (black wire side of the board) and snip snip,  :' same as the AM486.

I can join a pic if requested.

Thegate.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 07:31:44 AM »

Do you know if the NEW AM486 can be done that way. They where completely redone to reduce the Local Control Sensing problem and used a modern Surface Mounted chip on the solder side of the PCB.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.