Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 wireless reliability??  (Read 4858 times)

X10Hopeful

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 wireless reliability??
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:57:11 AM »

I've been reading some discouraging comments (posted way back in 2005) about the poor quality wireless camera-side of X-10 but I haven't read any pros OR cons concerning the non-video security system components.  I plan to use a very basic non-video camera system without even the voicedialer feature (as I don't have a phone line in my home).   I have plans of just making use of 5 indoor (white) motion sensors, 7 magnetic window sensors, and glass breaking sensors if available, and probably a couple or three Powerhorns (alerting my neighbor of a problem).  May I ask the learned community what you have to say about the RELIABILITY of this basic system.  I'm concerned with two things..... of course, I want the system to respond well to any real problem.....AND equally as important, because I am sometimes gone for a couple of weeks at a time, I don't want the system to be going off falsely during the night, driving my neighbors crazy!   ::)   Would this basic X-10 system be considered reliable enough to depend on considering the fact that I am away sometimes for weeks?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 01:11:50 AM by X10Hopeful »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: X-10 wireless reliability??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 11:37:23 AM »

I've used mine at my cottage for over a year now with only one false alarm (sensor two sided tape gave way) I fixed this by permanently fastening magnetic sensors with screws!
The one thing  you might want to reconsider using motion sensors as a mouse will even trigger them I've stuck to the door/window sensors!
I don't have any additional power horns in my setup so I'm not sure if they will reset or continue to blast as lights will stay on if you add controls for them!
Perhaps someone using additional power horns in their setup can shed some light on this! ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10Hopeful

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 01:50:28 PM »

Many Thanks for your comments Tuicemen,

And on Christmas!!   :)%   

I guess like many, I would like to find out before I waste time and money and energy to know if the system is meant for me or not.  After I posted, I found several posts from tom j.  The first that I saw was was posted in 2007.  He had mixed emotions about the reliability of the system, but then in 2008 added that he thought X10 had corrected many problems ........like the false alarms with the MS10a's  and the zone sticking problem.  Then, I'm kind of interested again but he goes on to say that after 5 years though, they are failing???   and now he only recommends the system as a backup unit only!!  I appreciate his candor...It makes me very uneasy as that's not a good recommendation for a security system, is it!!    Like, only use it as a last resort if your "reliable unit" fails???      Possibly his best suggestion is when he states that he would recommend using the "professional" Powermax or GE Simon which he thinks is X10 compatible right out of the box???   from the Home Security Store.  Someone also recommended using the Honewell as a main unit.  I guess they are saying they don't have confidence in the Protector Plus Dialer?? and because the X10 modules are very inexpensive compared to the other pro packages, mix the two systems and you get a better (more reliable) end result???  I'm getting dizzy!    >*<    Does that make logical sense to anyone else?
Bottom line for me is, if I have to pay more for reliability, I will but the Scottsman side of me loves the X10 prices!! 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:35:18 PM by X10Hopeful »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 02:06:08 PM »

I don't have any additional power horns in my setup so I'm not sure if they will reset or continue to blast as lights will stay on if you add controls for them!
Perhaps someone using additional power horns in their setup can shed some light on this!

The powerhorns sound only as long as the "on - off" signals keep pulsing.... I think about 4 minutes... then they turn off and wait for the next time time.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:02:13 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 06:11:50 AM »

Yes the Powerhorns sound for about four seconds after the On-Off sequence stops. I just did a six minute test and as long as the On-Off sequence is being sent the PH508 Powerhorn. It continues to sound.
Added Data:
I tired a SH10A small Powerhorn and it also stayed active until the On-Off sequence was stopped. The sending of a stream of On commands to the unit does trigger a four minute sounding even if the On commands stop or an Off is sent.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:59:38 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.