Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Motion Sensor not sending off signal  (Read 10405 times)

jsnone1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Motion Sensor not sending off signal
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

Ok, got the motion sensor hooked up, it triggers the camera that it is suppose to and starts recording like it is suppose to, it even turns the lights on in the room like it is suppose to.......

The problem I am having is that the sensor is suppose to send an off signal so that the lights turn off....I have it set at the default setting of 1 minute. So after motion stops it is suppose to wait 1 minute then send the off code....your help is appreciated.

USdangerboy

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Motion Sensor not sending off signal
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 07:28:20 PM »

I had the same problem, but one minute was not enough time, I found.  Try putting the idle time to 4 mins and see if it fires the off command.  I think the system is still "thinking" within the 60 second window and it's just not enough time for it to process. 

Not completely on topic, but close, is that I made a scanning macro for my security cameras.

C1 ON -> wait 15 seconds -> C2 ON -> wait 15 seconds ... etc.

This then scans all cameras in order, and displays the picture on the screen.  I had all kinds of problems with 15 second delays.  SO, the FINAL solution was to "clear" them out first.  For example, it works ONLY if one of the cameras has not been activated by an RF code, like a sensor.  SO, I had to put C1 OFF, C2 OFF, C3 OFF, etc. to turn them all to OFF state, put flags on all my camera sensor macros, THEN the ScanMacro runs perfectly at 30 seconds (fifteen was too fast, I found). 

As an aside, I highly recommend a dedicated monitor with an auto RCA switch box and repeater (if you want another monitor in the house, like in the bedroom or study).  The auto switch box will switch when signal is received and put that image on the screen.  I just wiped out all my settings due to some corruption, but when I get it all back up and runnin, be glad to share the file with you.

Hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

jsnone1

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 08:48:58 PM »

sounds good, pm me it when you get it.......and Ill try a 2 minute delay

jsnone1

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:34:27 PM »

:(  Ok changed it to 2 minutes.........still no luck....anyone else have any ideas?

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »

What model is it?

I have a ms12a in the garage as a parking "detector" and every so often the light it turns on wont turn off. But that fault is not very often.
I have an ms16a on the deck that has been 100% reliable.

Try minimizing your system down to just a skeleton and see if that works. also move the receiving units to other ac sockets and see that it isn't some weird wire issue (noise, phase, signal suckers). I realize that if x10 can turn something on, there is no apparent reason why it should not turn off but this stuff can be weird.

It is important to verify that indeed your detector is failing to send an off command. You can monitor this at the transceiver by using activehome's  monitor where you can see on and off commands coming through your transceiver.

Divide and concur!

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

USdangerboy

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »

Are you seeing the "OFF" code in the Activity Monitor?  

Try this ... (I'm assuming you're using AHP and Macros)

With AHP running, press the F2 key, this brings up your Activity Monitor.  Then select File and select the Clear Window menu option.  Then move in front of your motion sensor, wait two minutes and see if you get an "OFF" command from the RF Motion Sensor.  Then make sure you have two macros, one for the "ON" state and one or the "OFF" state and they are both on the correct RF code (seems simple, but I made this mistake once :-)  

Are you using a macro or is the light/camera/sensor all set to the same code?  If you can layout what you have, I might be more smarter helpin :-P

jsnone1

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 11:44:04 PM »

I am using the Vanguard software.....no Active home pro

USdangerboy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 12:01:10 AM »

DOH ... I don't have that, maybe I should have asked first :-) 

Is there an Activity Monitor in the Vangaurd SW? 

Seems like something, somewhere is eating up your OFF code.  Since the ON code is obviously being sent, just the OFF code is never getting sent or rec'd. 

You could try replacing the batteries in the EE as low batteries can cause odd "sends" from the units.  Also, you could try putting all the components on the same power strip (temporarily) to see if the bus is the problem.  RF Rec'vr/camera/light module all in the same strip, then the EE a few feet away.  Activate the EE and see if all goes well.  If so, then you just need a repeater or phase coupler to help the signal along. 

Sounds like a signal loss issue to me if all your codes are properly set.  That is either battery, phase issue, distance issue or a bad unit (if you have another EE you can use to test temporarily?

USdangerboy

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 05:47:50 AM »

I'm heading off now, but if you need a little application to scan and show the codes going on the wire, I can write a little console app for you.   You'll need AHP or the SDK insalled though and some way for the computer to sniff the line; can you send macros from the PC?  If so, this should work.  I'll make one this week for you, if it works great, if not, then I did my besssss :-)

jsnone1

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »

Got a download link for one of thes:  AHP or the SDK ?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 07:58:46 PM »

Did you ever give us the motion sensors model number?

The one odd ball sensor I know of is the DM10A REX-10 Sensor. It only sends On signals never an Off.

Also remember most motion sensors; also have a Dusk Dawn feature that is the motion address +1 unit code. So in a camera setup; it is possible to turn on the camera on the motion address +1 at dusk. If that address is in the group of four. 1-4;5-8;9-12 and 13-16.

USdangerboy

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 09:10:18 PM »

AHP Download is a request form here: http://www.x10community.com/software_download_request.html

You need your order number to get it sent to you right away.  Then, if memory serves, you need the act code to get it to run, FYI.

The SDK download is here: http://www.activehomepro.com/sdk

FYI: The SDK is the ONLY way to fly.  I been messing with it a couple days now and it is FANTASTIC!  I already debugged and fixed a TON of stuff.  I even found out there was a "bounce" effect off the transmitter plugged into a socket in my kitcen next to the disposal!!  That module was repeating signals back to one side of the house when the CR13A sent it signals (I was near to self termination for a while there). 

SO ... I just built an alert system on variable types/values in the app and it played a file very loud for me so I could run around the house and just plug/transmit, plug/tranmit and when the computer started yelling, I knew it was a bad spot!  And MUCH more coming ... fantastic tool!!

Good luck!!

jsnone1

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 09:14:07 PM »

I have eagle eye sensors.......I will download SDK tonight of tomorrow and see how it goes form there.....

jsnone1

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 09:50:48 PM »

AHP Download is a request form here: http://www.x10community.com/software_download_request.html

You need your order number to get it sent to you right away.  Then, if memory serves, you need the act code to get it to run, FYI.

FYI: The SDK is the ONLY way to fly.  I been messing with it a couple days now and it is FANTASTIC!  I already debugged and fixed a TON of stuff.  I even found out there was a "bounce" effect off the transmitter plugged into a socket in my kitcen next to the disposal!!  That module was repeating signals back to one side of the house when the CR13A sent it signals (I was near to self termination for a while there). 

SO ... I just built an alert system on variable types/values in the app and it played a file very loud for me so I could run around the house and just plug/transmit, plug/tranmit and when the computer started yelling, I knew it was a bad spot!  And MUCH more coming ... fantastic tool!!

Good luck!!

Looks like I cant get AHP....when I request a link it gives me a link to download Vanguard...and it looks like SDK is just some kind of add on of some kind for AHP

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 11:03:37 PM »

Good luck!!

Looks like I cant get AHP....when I request a link it gives me a link to download Vanguard...and it looks like SDK is just some kind of add on of some kind for AHP

For AHP go to  http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.html.  You can get AHP and the CM15A for under 50 bucks.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.