Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Doesnt the CM15A run independent from the computer?  (Read 10952 times)

tsttm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Doesnt the CM15A run independent from the computer?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »

I'm guessing the fish light is on a mechanical time and not X10? Why not put it under X10 control also and it will stay in sync with feeder. i.e. If both the light and feeder are under control from AHP then they'll remain in sync even with the time change.
The light is on x10 control. The feeder is it's own unit that runs on batteries..so there's no way to connect it to x10.

really, it's no big deal. I just have to adjust the timer in AHP. It's not worth doing something complicated or having 2 ahp files i think.

it's just that the fish get conditioned- light comes on, food comes..so they probably get confused when daylight savings hits.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 06:50:27 PM »

...it's just that the fish get conditioned- light comes on, food comes..so they probably get confused when daylight savings hits.
I think your fish must be smarter than mine if they make the connection. Mine are just happy when I remember to shake in some flakes light or no light. ;D

BTW... Since I have my tank is plugged into a UPS, I just use a mechanical timer plugged into one of the surge outlets of the UPS for my lights. The UPS backs up the 2nd heater that is set a bit lower than the first. If all else fails, I have a battery operated air pump that runs on 2 D cell batteries when the backup power fails.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »

The light is on x10 control. The feeder is it's own unit that runs on batteries..so there's no way to connect it to x10.

I see potential for "Forum Fun Design Contest"

Lets couple the feeder to X10  so X10 AHP can control the light!

1. Buy a second feeder so we can destroy the first. :D
Since the feeder runs on batteries it will be easily to couple it to a "Power Flash" module. This will be great fun, as it requires screw drivers, disassembly, and soldering!
2. Solder two wires to the motor or solenoid that causes the feeder to dump its food.
3. Connect these wires to the Power Flash input.
4. Set the Power Flash to the desired HCUC.

Now everytime the feeder runs the Power Flash will send a HCUC "ON" command. When the motor stops, the HCUC "OFF" is sent. Use either command to fire macros and timers to control your lights.  In my aquarium days I used similar setup to turn OFF the air pump and filters so the food would float on surface for a longer period of time.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »

...The feeder is it's own unit that runs on batteries..so there's no way to connect it to x10.
There's always a way. Granted it may turn out to be more expensive and less practical but there's always a way to interface X10.  ;D

I see potential for "Forum Fun Design Contest"...
...Since the feeder runs on batteries it will be easily to couple it to a "Power Flash" module. This will be great fun, as it requires screw drivers, disassembly, and soldering!...
Might even be able to plug in a wall wart to an appliance module and eliminate the batteries all together.  -:)
Of course the original battery operated system might prove more reliable. Think happy blotted fish when the X10 feeder doesn't shut off.  :D

Note to dave w: Reread your post. I first thought you were suggesting a way for X10 to control the feeder. Actually your idea is to have the feeder signal X10. A much more reliable approach! I like it! Almost has me wanting to buy a battery operated feeder.

Note to tsttm: Don't let our "extreme automation" scare you away from X10. Sometimes some interesting ideas come from brainstorming. Dave_x10_L's automated chair came from a top of my head thought.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:27:17 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 03:15:40 PM »

Note to tsttm: Don't let our "extreme automation" scare you away from X10. Sometimes some interesting ideas come from brainstorming. Dave_x10_L's automated chair came from a top of my head thought.

That is absolutely correct! steven r thought of The Automated Chair... then it was a race to see who could get it done first. Of course being both retired and a regular YouTube contributor... I had some advantages.

It seems to me.... just about anything can be automated in some way or another. It can be fun to try out some new setups and some can prove to be of real value. Not everything I try... turns out to be a keeper... but none have been a waste. I am always looking for ways to expand and improve my home automation setup. Little by little my setup continues to better reflect my lifestyle and my automation expections.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Willyv

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 03:39:08 AM »

WOW! You guys make want to go out and buy fish now. This X10 stuff is addicting!!! >!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »

.. This X10 stuff is addicting!!! >!

Yes it is... but it's perfectly legal.

And.. [I have found] even socially exceptable... as some parts of most setups also saves energy. So we get the convenience, safety, and security and often even save a little on the electric bill to boot. Not that my Home Automation... dependence.. has saved me money it hasn't. But the safety and security has value too.

There are so many aspects of the Home Automation lifestyle that I enjoy. I won't go into it here... but it does at time seem very much like the early stages of an addiction.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.