Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: lm15a with activehome problem. pls help  (Read 6463 times)

neupane00

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
lm15a with activehome problem. pls help
« on: January 02, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »

Hello, i just got activehome pro and EVERYTHING is working perfect. I have one question tho.. My LM15a (screw in lamp module / socket rocket) is NOT working properly on other room. In the same room where i have my usb activehome setup, its working fine.. But when i take the same lamp with socketRocket installed to kitchen (about 50-80 feet away) its not working. Whats going on?
I guess socketRocket doesnt get enough strong signal on different room? How would i solve this problem? Can anyone please help? If i install additional Transceiver Module like TM751 near my kitchen/ other room, would it help? Please help me with this.

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: lm15a with activehome problem. pls help
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:15:00 AM »

Hi neupane00 and welcome to the Forum.

All X10 signals work almost the same way.
The socket rocket gets its signals through the power lines.
If yours worked nearby and sporadic at a new location then a phase issue comes to mind first - the signal has to cross the other side of the panel to reach its destination, phase coupling would be considered.
There is allways noise makers and suckers - electronic equipment that is weakening the X10 signal the socket rocket or even any other module on the same circuit.

Start here to help diagnose your problem as well as a leaping point for help in X10.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=7951.0

Try unplugging things like cordless phone, cell phone, laptop chargers packs, or Large LCD TV or other possible noise makers. If the socket functions better then filters should be in list of things to have. Mapping your home curcit is also something to keep in mind, knowing where every single branch on your home wiring is going and what it is attached too is essential and I do mean everything, from lights(CFL's maybe), equipment, fixtures, HVAC and so on. Knowing where everything is in your network will make finding problems very essential.
The X10 world is no where near perfect, so is many other brands of automation out there not as bad at times thou. For the price and the fun to had, there is no comparison by far but it will need to be babied a bit or maybe allot depending on your outlook for automation. Don't ever give up, many here did or came close too but in the end like me, we just cant get enough of this stuff now and all we can do is try to help and convince you it does work and yes its a blast.
Good luck in solving the problem, you can be assured for help when needed here in the forum. Do some Advanced searches and sit back a read and fill the mind with X10 knowledge, its geeky kinda but damn cool at the same time.

cheers.

g1956j

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »

I am also having a problem with my socket rocket.
I have it in my front porch light and it was working fine until the other night.
I thought it may have been the bulb being burnt out so I put in a new bulb and it still does not work so I tested the bulb I removed and it is working fine.

What could have happened to my socket rocket?

Please help, GJ

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:43:07 PM »

GJ; Have you added anything to the home. Even something you may not have thought of. Cell Phone charger moved any electronic devices to a new location?
Try moving the Socket Rocket to another location as a test. If it can be controlled there could be a noise problem on the original area.
Also kind of off the path but if you turned off the AC to the light when you changed the bulb and when you powered it up some X10 traffic was on the power line. Maybe it got programmed to a new address. We have seen that when someone had a motion sensor that was sending while the Socket Rocket was in the f30 second program timing.
It you can't control it in any place it may have failed. Though many times it is stuck on from a failed triac in the switching circuit.

g1956j

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »

I put the socket rocket into another socket and was able to control it with activehome, put it back outside and it is working again.

Just another one of X10's quirks or problems I don't like.

Thanks GJ

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »

Glad is is now working.
It may have locked up from some noise. The power down and restart cleared it and it again was working. We have seen other modules get lost [not just X10 ones either] and a power down lets it restart from a known point.

g1956j

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:35:57 AM »

Well it did start working again but it didn't last the day.

I have it set on a timer to turn on at night for when I get home from work, it didn't come on and the activehome doesn't switch it now either.

I will try to do it again and see what happens, the cold weather shouldn't have anything to do with this does it?

Thanks GJ

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »

Well it did start working again but it didn't last the day.

I have it set on a timer to turn on at night for when I get home from work, it didn't come on and the activehome doesn't switch it now either.

I will try to do it again and see what happens, the cold weather shouldn't have anything to do with this does it?

Thanks GJ
No, since the socket rocket has no moving parts, cold should have little effect.

As Brian pointed out, you may have a noise or possibly a phase coupling problem. the forum is packed with information on the subjects. Search for :"noise", and "coupling" or go here
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=11766.0
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.