Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: x10 home security reliability  (Read 25374 times)

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: x10 home security reliability
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »

It seems to me that the term 'physical access' appears an awful lot with regard to disabling a wired alarm system.
This is very true, but...

What would be the purpose of disabling an alarm (wired or wireless) if 'physical access' were not the intended result?  ???

It is possible to disable any alarm (wired or wireless, monitored or unmonitored) with little to no 'physical access' but the actual theft of property would neccessitate said 'physical access' unless theft from outside the property was the intention. If the thief is after something that you left outside (hence no 'physical access' required), then he/she probably wouldn't need to disable the alarm in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something, but I looked fairly hard for it

But this is all  >*< - someone has a set opinion and it looks like this will not change regardless of logic or argument.

I believe the original question was about reliablity of the X10 equipment.

My X10 security system was put out to pasture when we moved and the antenna got broken off the dialler box thingie. It worked as reliably as I would expect from a $100 MIY alarm system, but I definitely would not install these for customers - I am a security professional (in the mechanical security field) and would not like to have my name associated with a system that requires the user to know how to reconfigure the entire system whenever the batteries need changing, or requires the installer to go back (at no charge) when something goes wrong.
I still reliably use the X10 door/window contacts to monitor garage door positions and to switch on my desk light when I open my computer keyboard drawer. I still use the X10 motion sensors to let me know when the wife or kids go into my workshop. Both of these functions, and a few others, are monitored by AHP. I no longer use the X10 security system as a security system, but I do use many of the components as reliable safety devices - It's nice to know when the garage got left open again and I like to shout at the kids *before* they remove their fingers/noses/legs with some of the tools that I should probably lock up properly  :D.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: x10 home security reliability
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 05:41:30 PM »

...I believe the original question was about reliablity of the X10 equipment....
...I still reliably use the X10 door/window contacts to monitor garage door positions and to switch on my desk light when I open my computer keyboard drawer. I still use the X10 motion sensors to let me know when the wife or kids go into my workshop. Both of these functions, and a few others, are monitored by AHP. I no longer use the X10 security system as a security system, but I do use many of the components as reliable safety devices - It's nice to know when the garage got left open again and I like to shout at the kids *before* they remove their fingers/noses/legs with some of the tools that I should probably lock up properly  :D.
To bring things back to the original topic and sum up my experience and opinions... While I'm an avid user of X10 products to enhance convenience and security, I would not rely on X10 to replace my alarm security. e.g. I have X10 controlled outdoor lights and my alarm flashes my lights via an X10 powerflash module but I don't depend on X10 to detect an intrusion or call for the correct emergency support. i.e. I believe an alarm should know the difference between a fire alert and an intrusion.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.