Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How To Tell Between Different Eagle Eye Locations  (Read 6137 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
How To Tell Between Different Eagle Eye Locations
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:11:04 PM »

Hi want to setup a few more Eagle Eyes but because the chime has only one tone how do you guys tell the difference between various locations? I did hear of a way but I don't want to say right now because I'm looking for possibly new ideas on how to do this. I mean if you have say several Eagle Eyes with one or two chimes with only one tone just seems like this would represent a problem. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks!

Tom j.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 07:13:32 PM by tom j »

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: How To Tell Between Different Eagle Eye Locations
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »

You can mod the chime to change the pitch or frequency hold on, I need to go to my bookmarks.....
Ah yes here it is.

http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/index.htm

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »

The larger a system grows the more notifications a person seems to have.

I am big fan of BVC (Bill's Voice Commander). Of course as the name implies... I use Speech Recognition to control my X10 devices and macros. But part of the program also allows my Home Automation computer to "listen" for X10 signals and tell me what is going on.

You can see some in the video embedded in my BVC fan Site. Or in this very short video where a camera is triggered on by movement. The latter sound is also broadcast to the outside.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:08:26 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »

You can mod the chime to change the pitch or frequency hold on, I need to go to my bookmarks.....
Ah yes here it is.

http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/index.htm

Thanks Guys say bitman I think I do remember reading something like this. just that you need multiple chimes. What I also heard was that you could send various dim commands to it resulting in a different sound for each dim command, the voice thing might also be an option down the road.

Tom j.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:53:52 AM »

The only X10 module that I know of that dings and dongs, is the small Powerhorn SH10A.
First you send an on or off to its address. Then a dim gives you a Dong and a Bright gives you a Ding.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:56:32 PM »

Don't forget the Universal Module (UM506) makes its own distinct sound. I had used one myself... before BVC. Which then makes one think.... if your using a Universal Module anyway.... you could complete the contacts on just about any doorbell, buzzer, siren, [speaker and radio]....you might think of.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 02:59:36 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:06:05 PM »

Tom J
FWIW
I have used a version of Dave X10's  idea since 1993 and it works well to let me know which motion sensor has triggered and to get the attention of whomever set it off( if it was a "whom-ever" and not a "what-ever").  :D

If you you use CM15A, AHP, and BVC you can have your system verbally announce the motion sensor that was triggered, and using X10 appliance modules to selectively power wireless speakers, you can "steer" the announcement to the home's interior room you are in AND to a speaker near the triggered motion sensors location. Whether an innocent visitor or a prowler, or a raccoon, you have their undivided attention when a voice comes out of the blue and says something like (as my system) " This is the voice of Home Control...I have detected movement at the (insert: 'front', 'side', ' back', etc. here) of the house.... I will monitor".   A combination of lines from my two favorite old sci-fi movies: "The Forbidden Planet" and "Colossus: The Forbin Project". If you can find wireless speakers cheap (surplus) it is not expensive to do.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:00:41 PM »

.... If you can find wireless speakers cheap (surplus) it is not expensive to do.

X10 has a cheap wireless sound solution too. And I should point out that dave w was an inspiration for the voice announcement I use. It would be unfair to call it my idea.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:52 PM »

X10 has a cheap wireless sound solution too. And I should point out that dave w was an inspiration for the voice announcement I use. It would be unfair to call it my idea.

So The Forbidden Planet and Colossus are your favorite movies too? I knew we were related. :D

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:56:11 PM »

So The Forbidden Planet and Colossus are your favorite movies too? I knew we were related. :D

No... back some time ago (a year or two).. you and TTA had joked about my BVC notifications. But (likely because of your own experience) you misunderstood that the camera ON message could be heard by a tresspasser. I thought your idea was so good I then altered the broadcast message and installed the outside speaker. You really had a great, original idea that I think could add greatly to the security to most Households.

I should note [for readers of this post] that my BVC notifications normally are only heard inside. But when the perimeter detection system detects a trespasser an outside speaker is turned on for a few seconds only [via a macro].
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:55:00 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »

I got this idea back in 1992 or so. I had an "Interlogic 1400" controlling the X10 stuff (all programming done in a bastardized Basic on a PC and uploaded to the inerlogic). PCs did not have a voice yet, so I conned my wife out of an old MAC which did have text to speech. I used a Mac automation program called "Xtension" which had text to speech and would control X10. I used a third computer tied to a second InerLogic unit just for an activity monitor. Gosh it was a lot of fun, a little difficult managing the timing since the InterLogic controlled the speakers but the Mac supplied the voice. WAF was very dynamic changing on a daily basis and usually in the negative numbers. ;D

Once while hacking the Interlogic I accidentally blew out the Dallas clock chip, so the system was down for a week or so. That is when I knew the WAF was actually much higher than displayed. By the third day she was asking when the house would get fixed and why they could not FedEx the parts. Cool, I won.  :)%

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »

.......... I knew the WAF was actually much higher than displayed. By the third day she was asking when the house would get fixed and why they could not FedEx the parts. Cool, I won. 

Yes, my wife also likes the talking house part. Besides perimeter detection I also have the talking clock, and garage door announcement/reminder, current weather, and normal announcements as X10 devices turn ON/OFF.

But it is certainly easier now-a-days! Although I use BVC... I am sure you could get the announcements with PC companion also. Both are third party software (found here at the forum). I run a HA Computer 24/7. Mine is an old (rescued from the trash) P3. It needed more DRAM so I purchased some (used) at a flea market. I have 2 sets of ($4.99) PC speakers and a couple others that were in my junk box. Because I talk to my setup (Voice Command) I use a microphone setup of baby monitors (they're hidden) that cost me $17 a set.

Just like I have a big plastic tub of X10 stuff for back-ups and spares... I keep a back-up computer for Home Automation too. Actually... I always hated discarding old computers. I always knew the old dust collectors had a useful purpose. Keeping the old computer in service "watching the house" seems like a natural to me.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »

Because I talk to my setup (Voice Command) I use a microphone setup of baby monitors (they're hidden) that cost me $17 a set.

Dave you might think the announcement steering using wireless speakers was a good idea, but your idea of using baby monitors for whole house audio input is the pinnacle of innovation and "junk box" thinking. Genius.

Until I read your baby monitor idea, I was going to plant cheap mics in the ceiling of every room and string wires and buffer amps all through the attic.  However I have been procrastinating because Homeseer (my current automation program) tends to false too easily. When I get that licked I am scouring the second hand stores for used baby monitors. I have hijacked this thread and will quit babbling but maybe newbies will pick up some good ideas.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 10:39:54 PM »

.... your idea of using baby monitors for whole house audio input is the pinnacle of innovation and "junk box" thinking.

The Safety First Crystal Clear Monitors (available everywhere, but I got mine at Walmart) have worked great for me. But I really like the idea of two-way VOX intercoms too. You should try out the BVC trial DL.

tom j

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »

Tom J
FWIW
I have used a version of Dave X10's  idea since 1993 and it works well to let me know which motion sensor has triggered and to get the attention of whomever set it off( if it was a "whom-ever" and not a "what-ever").  :D

If you you use CM15A, AHP, and BVC you can have your system verbally announce the motion sensor that was triggered, and using X10 appliance modules to selectively power wireless speakers, you can "steer" the announcement to the home's interior room you are in AND to a speaker near the triggered motion sensors location. Whether an innocent visitor or a prowler, or a raccoon, you have their undivided attention when a voice comes out of the blue and says something like (as my system) " This is the voice of Home Control...I have detected movement at the (insert: 'front', 'side', ' back', etc. here) of the house.... I will monitor".   A combination of lines from my two favorite old sci-fi movies: "The Forbidden Planet" and "Colossus: The Forbin Project". If you can find wireless speakers cheap (surplus) it is not expensive to do.

Maybe this is the solution I've been looking for, going to do a little research and get back. Thanks!!

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.