Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 110v to 220V mod on new layout AM486  (Read 17528 times)

danmach

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
110v to 220V mod on new layout AM486
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:58 AM »

Dear X10 experts, I need some help...

The powerflash I purchased is already converted to 220V.I purchased 1 AM486 module and now I am trying to use Ido Bartana's instructions to modify it to 220V operation.

However, the instructions I have: http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/index.htm seem to be for a different model, an older one, because mine is like this one on these pictures posted by Dmeister here:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/x10/am466-1.jpg

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/x10/am466-2.jpg

I have two MOVs instead of one, the resistors are different, and I am uncertain of what to do to get the conversion done.

Can anyone help me?

Any help will be most welcome!

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
Re: 110v to 220V mod on new layout AM486
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »

I think the same mods should work.  I see the same 330k resistor in your photo (lower right-hand corner).  If your module has two MOVs instead of one, then just make sure to replace both of them with 250V RMS rated ones.

danmach

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:38 AM »

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have the knowledge to figure this out for myself, and the absence of the second (smaller) poliester capacitor on the end or exit of ther circuit is confusing...

Those 330k resistors seem to be 1W judging by their size, so I guess I won't replace them. In series with the poliester cap there are two resistors, one 330k and the other 330...

Well, I'll replace components, close the module, plug it in at a safe distance, and either get an X10 module working in 220V or a small "pop" or controlled fire... guess I'll try it in the garage, just in case... I'll post the results here tomorrow.

Regards (and maybe future regrets... ;))

danmach

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 05:21:24 AM »

Well, got it working in my garage, although a small contact spark is visible inside the appliance module when the relay closes its terminals... Is this normal for this type of relay?

It didn't work in my attic, probably due to all the noise my computer, ups, monitor etc make on the power wires... The final testing is taking place this week.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 12:03:32 PM »

Well, got it working in my garage, although a small contact spark is visible inside the appliance module when the relay closes its terminals... Is this normal for this type of relay?

It didn't work in my attic, probably due to all the noise my computer, ups, monitor etc make on the power wires... The final testing is taking place this week.

Did you have anything plugged in to the module at time of test??

IF you had no load plugged in to the Appliance Module, then yes, the spark/arc would be very unusual, perhaps indicating a problem in the "local sensing" circuit, which monitors the relay output for contact state and is used to sense an appliance being turned off and on at the appliance's switch.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

danmach

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:14:42 PM »

No, there was no load... This means I must find a way to eliminate the local current sensing, as this will "operate" a central heating Grundfos pump..

Further testing to be carried with an old 40w bulb desk lamp, 10 feet away to avoid shrapnel...

IŽll get it right... I hope!

danmach

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 07:52:23 AM »

I'm keeping this post updated, maybe in the future this will help someone in my situation.

From this: http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/6375_Schematic_vC.pdf (I think the IC 78570 is the same...)

...I assume that the current sensing is at pin 9 of the IC... I'll try to disable it by cutting the signal path...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:54:24 PM »

danmach

Having never converted a module to 220, does the Ido rework change any components on the output side of the relay? Maybe that is what is being missed(?).

I remember there are two feedbacks for the relay output. One provides feedback of relay closure to the chip. If this feedback is broken the chip will "fire" the relay two additional times trying to see closure. This produces a rapid "clickty-clickty-click".  You want to keep that feedback operational.

The second feedback is for local control and senses continuity through the controlled device. When this loop is interupted, the chip assumes the appliance is being toggled at the appliance switch and the chip will fire the relay in response.

Don't know if this is any help.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mquintas

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 11:39:12 PM »

Dear Danmach,
I have purchased  AM486 and LM465 modules, now I am trying to modify both to 220V operation.

My modules version like yours come with the new AM486 Layout.
Have you found the schematics diagrams for this board version or a procedure to
modify it to 220V?

Thanking in advance for you help,

Regards
mquintas

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.