Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please analyize my thought pattern here, and quick questions.  (Read 6968 times)

Savage223

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Please analyize my thought pattern here, and quick questions.
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:31:22 PM »

I looked around a bit, but couldn't find enough to answer all of these concerns.  I want to present it as a separate post, as it addresses some rather unusual priorities in system design.  (Perhaps.)

One of the things that concerned me was this statement I found in another post:

"Most X10 motion sensors take up two addresses, one for "I saw motion" and one for "It got dark out" i.e. "dusk sensor".  If the detector is programmed as "B1", then "B1" will be sent for motion detection and "B2" will be sent for "light / dark" detection. So, always remember to skip an address beween motion detectors.

This seems to contradict what X10 sells in terms of channel capability.  Am I correct in saying this?  I'm asking because I recently had nearly all of my motion sensors stop working in AHP, and couldn't figure out why.  Now I'm asking myself whether or not I can run the way I wish.

My current configuration, though kind of rough at first design, worked for a while, then stopped.  I see no activity on my AHP log for any of the motion sensors at all anymore.  I find it hard to believe that you could not use the first 16 channels / codes continually without interruption, as these would be security-console based codes, and without them your "system" would continually fail.

I am probably asking a bit more out of my system than most, but to better understand where I'm going, here is a little background:

I live in an apartment for which locks were not re-keyed by the landlord.  (They do not wish to do so, and I cannot afford a bad relationship with them, so I will not ask.)  The past tenant, though seemingly trustworthy, lives right upstairs.  I have exclusive access to the building's basement via an interior door and outside (locked) porch access.  The basement houses shared utility equipment, of course. 

I use my system primarily to notify me of unauthorized access.  I need to know if, and when, someone comes into the apartment, and who they are.  (I live right next to a police station, so security in the traditional sense is the least critical priority.  It is far more likely that the upstairs tenant will poke around to see if I'm breaking the "no smoking" rule, or the landlord enters without notice.) 

Secondarily, I need to allow >limited< access for repairmen at times- allowing them certain entry but not past the interior door. 

Third- I like the automation of lights coming on and appliances (radio and TV) to make the place appear occupied.

Lastly, the traditional security.

So I have a weird set of concerns.  And a lot I want to do.

My current configuration is like this.  I can fill in models if necessary and am looking for advice, of course, on the set-up.  Please note that I have all zones covered with BOTH door/window and motion sensors.  "Home" versus "away" arming is important in my situation for other reasons.  I only need one door/window for most zones because the prior tenant decided to GLUE the drafty window sashes SHUT, rendering them impossible to open without breaking the glass.  A situation where door/window sensors would not work anyhow; and the installed motion sensors would.  So my DOORS have these sensors- not "every" window.

N1  X10 Security Console / Dialer
N1  Exterior security lamp, Socket Rocket  (same channel, so it acts as the outside security indication, if I set it up right??)
N2  Indoor motion sensor, porch
N3  Indoor motion sensor, living room
N4  Indoor motion sensor, Master Bedroom
N5  Indoor motion sensor, Dining Room
N6  Indoor motion sensor, Kitchen
N7  Indoor motion sensor, Bedroom #2
N8  Indoor motion sensor, Basement North side
N9  Indoor motion sensor, Basement South side
N10 Door/Window, Porch
N11 Door/Window, Kitchen
N12 Door/Window, Living Room
N13 Door/Window, Front Door
N14 Door/Window, Interior basement door
N15 Door/Window, Exterior basement door
N16 Door/Window, Side Door

All of the 'N' code sensors were added to the main security console channel by channel using the prescribed "INSTALL" and trigger method.

L1 (reserved for later use..programmed ahead of time to save ...time.)
L2  (Two of these) Socket Rockets used in exterior security lighting
L3-L9 not used at this time, but designated for Socket Rockets and addressable power supplies for low-watt 12v devices...

O1-O11 are lamp modules, 1-way

C1-C4 are all cameras on Ninja Pan 'n Tilt bases.

I do realize that only the N house code modules and sensors are usable with the security system minus AHP.  I use codes L, O, and C exclusively with AHP for automation and internet viewing of the cameras.

My main concerns right now are:
1.  Can I do all this reliably- without the motion sensors screwing up their addresses all the time?  (Must have happened to me- but batteries are only three weeks old.)
2.  How to re-program the security console and/or AHP WITHOUT removing the sensors from their mounts or moving the console all the time.  I think I have a handle on this, but will only get the chance to try it this evening.

Any thoughts??  Y'all will probably think I'm nuts.  Thanks in advance for any ...constructive...advice.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:00:05 PM by Savage223 »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Please analyize my thought pattern here, and quick questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:41:11 PM »

Describe the system in more detail?

Are the motion sensors Security Type or regular type; or do you have a combination of both types in the mix?

If you are using the CM15A and AHP do you have the security plug in for security sensors? Security sensors do not send standard X10 codes and regular motion sensors will not register on a security console. A security consoles house code setting will also pass regular motion codes to the power line but not trigger any alarms on the console.

Sounds like  you also have a security console in the mix? Is this correct?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 06:31:31 PM by Brian H »

hpdrifter

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:35:14 PM »

Sounds like  you also have a security console in the mix? Is this correct?

N1

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:52:50 AM »

::) Oops missed the N1.  :' Anyway we still need to know what type sensors you are using.
Security ones do not use an X10 address and will not directly control any modules. A standard X10 sensor will directly control X10 modules and use a standard X10 address. Most will also use unit +1 for the dusk dawn signals.
More data is needed to try and address the question.

Savage223

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »

Forgive me for the verrryyyy lonnnggg delay.  Holiday rush was on.

You can find my full configuration at:
http://www.spsimaging.com/artwerk/UserFF/x10-config-01-12-09.htm

My main problem is that my PC either does not see active modules, ignores them, asks for [only some] to be reinstalled, or the modules themselves are not sending correctly.

When I check my security system, all lights but one are lit on the INSTALL setting (switch at INSTALL).  From what the instructions say for the security system and module, a light will not be lit if a module has not reported in the past 90 minutes.

When I look at the PC however, I am certain that I do NOT see every installed module reporting when viewing the activity log.

Please help ASAP, as I have activity showing in areas that I should not, but very well could represent a sneaking intruder.  (Landlord.)  I need to know for certain right away.

Thanks for your help and consideration!
Savage

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:25:45 PM »

When I look at the PC however, I am certain that I do NOT see every installed module reporting when viewing the activity log.

Apparently the Security console is receiving all your sensors... or the system would not arm. But that doesn't mean your PC/CM15A actually hears every sensor. It would be my guess that some sensors (like the screen porch) may not be talking to your software.

Please help ASAP, as I have activity showing in areas that I should not, but very well could represent a sneaking intruder.  (Landlord.)  I need to know for certain right away.

The [hourly] "heartbeat" from the security sensors can look like activity on the AHP log... but not be. And a sensor OUTSIDE the range of the CM15A.. will just not respond (or even show the heartbeat). However... if your DS7000 is armed.. it should be detecting any "sneaking intruder" tripping a module and then tripping the alarm.

Search CM15A antenna modifications to increase the receiving range of the modules. Or search (likely Ebay) for a repeater to extend the modules range. Or maybe just putting the CM15A on a short heavy-duty extention cord and placing it up higher would fix your problem(s).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:28:17 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Savage223

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »

Ah ok.

My thinking is that I'm considering uses a bit outside the normal "buy it and plop it in" consumer.  (For one thing, I have the SDK to create custom app(s)...don't know how to use it yet with VBN, but...later..) 

My intent is like this:
Level 1: Unarmed but with chime enabled on the PS561.  Camera activation not required unless requested by user via the PC (to see, for example, who is at the door.)

Level 2: Unarmed but monitored with the PC and CM15A interface.  Camera activation is critical.  Email notification is critical.  Image capture / video capture is critical.

Level 3: Armed home.  Camera activation just like in Level 1.

Level 4: Armed away.  Camera activation and image logging / video capture required in some cases, not required in others.

In Level 1, I simply want to be notified of door/window changes while I'm home.  I don't want to run the risk of "arming home" and forgetting to disarm before going outside.  I smoke periodically, outside only, and live in an apartment.  This means I'm in and out, and the neighbors will complain with multiple accidental trips, (and/or begin to ignore the alarm altogether, which is a problem.)

In Level 2, I continue to avoid mis-fires and false alarms, until I can depend on my setup a bit better.  I do this because of very nearby, high-output (illegal) CB RF interference.  I know they're different frequencies, but some CB'rs are running 1kw, and spurious emissions have in the past opened my garage door and interfered with other electronics such as stereo equipment (hearing voices over speakers as the transmission is picked up somewhere in the tuning or amp section and output to the speakers via the internal amplifier) and other wireless devices.  Understand, this is a hunch for the larger part, but I have witnessed it happening for no other reason than these harmonics at other locations in the past.  The key at Level 2 is instant email and/or phone notification at work.  I am only five minutes from my desk to the armed location, so this notification is a high priority.  I can then call 911, and someone will be there right away, if only me to get a license number.

In Level 3, I am simply concerned about an outside intruder when my child is home.  The ability to view visitors is important but rarely needed in my case, in reality.

In Level 4, assume the is the potential for a break-in.  (I know there always is, in reality, any time of the day, here or not.  My situation is a bit different, without going into that detail.)  I am also confident my system works without false alarm, and the priority is noise and photographic evidence.

I'm sure it sounds strange to expect these different aspects with only one lifestyle / location.  But as I said, my situation is a bit unique.

Savage223

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:55:58 PM »

Please forgive me if I missed this documented anywhere, but I'm a bit confused about "what goes where" when the system 'automatically' attributes addresses to the various modules.

I'm referring to when you set up the security system / dialer and the modules.  My method followed the paperwork exactly- if I recall correctly, it was to:
1.  Set the dialer to "install"
2.  Hit the test button on the module
3.  Watch for the light
4.  Change the switch or hit another button to move on to the next module.

You'll see my chart here:

The mapping is the same as the link for the configuration in the earlier post, but essentially I set it up originally so that the motion sensors and door/window sensors were all in house code 'N'.

At some point I bought more devices, including cameras w/ninjas, socket rockets, Eagle Eye motion sensors, and an appliance / RF Transceiver module.  It appears as though programming on the Eagle Eye, One socket rocket, and the Transceiver all ended up on N1.  This should have been occupied already on the security dialer, but I believe I did this because X10 recommended programming any security lights to the #1 slot sharing the same house code as the security dialer.  I thought this was to allow anything programmed to #1 with the same house code to act as the flashing "notifying light" when the alarm is tripped.  N1 is also attributed, for some reason, to my security remote.

Now I'm thinking that this incorrectly over-wrote other module(s) and that they're not working correctly now.
L1 = Socket Rockets that I wanted to control exclusively via the PC.
C1~C4 = Ninja bases / Cameras 1 through 4.
Ox = (The house code letter 'O') are all lighting modules I wanted to control via PC or remote.
Nx = The original modules I programmed into the security dialer.
Ax = One motion sensor, and one door sensor, why I have no idea.  I did not do this on purpose.  The latter SHOULD be N15 according to how I originally set it up.  The motion sensor was originally programmed as N5.  N5 is now attributed to a door sensor, N15 to a bedroom motion sensor.

I would like to either re-set all of these things, (either by re-setting everything up from the beginning or via XML editing on the settings file) but don't know what is the best way to both design the system and execute the changes.

By the way, I like the fact that this X10 Code Usage report shows you the time last active when hovering over each entry.  This is a real troubleshooting help I did not notice until just now.

Any thoughts?  (By the way, I've never been accused of saying too little.) >*<
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:58:33 PM by Savage223 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.