Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10 liability for contractors  (Read 8207 times)

jethead

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10 liability for contractors
« on: January 24, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

I was wondering if an installer of a x10 or any other security system would be liable if the system failed and a customer was robbed? Is there some sort of waiver that you could get them to sign or would you need to take out insurance of some sort? Thanks.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: x10 liability for contractors
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:05:36 PM »

I was wondering if an installer of a x10 or any other security system would be liable if the system failed and a customer was robbed?

What security system sold anywhere by anyone is expected to prevent someone from being robbed?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 08:18:55 PM »

I was wondering if an installer of a x10 or any other security system would be liable if the system failed and a customer was robbed? Is there some sort of waiver that you could get them to sign or would you need to take out insurance of some sort? Thanks.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything and it's up to a judge and/or jury to decide liability and possible damages.  (You've probably heard of the McDonald's hot coffee lawsuit.)  A signed waiver could probably help your case but is no guarantee that you would prevail in court.  And even if found not liable there's still the considerable expense of defending your case.   If you're in business and have any assets worth being sued for, you should consider liability insurance.  If nothing else, you should get the advice of a lawyer.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and the above is purely my personal opinion.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

jethead

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:53:28 AM »

I guess that there could always be the argument that the customer never armed the system. My x10"s that I have installed so far always seem to have some bugs in them. I would think this could be a head ache when customers would expect a smooth working system.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:08:46 AM »

That would be my big issue with contracting with X10. Think of all the work around and bugs we do to make our systems work.

Most people who would pay for you to do the work won't understand why it don't work and it will always be your fault. The product you rep is a big thing. If I worked for a company that made products that don't work like they should I won't be making any money.

On the security alarm wavier. People get broken into all the time even with there alarms installed and turned on. The alarm is just a prevention tool not a guarantee you wont get robbed
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »

I guess that there could always be the argument that the customer never armed the system.

...... On the security alarm wavier.... The alarm is just a prevention tool not a guarantee you wont get robbed

No offense guys but alarms neither prevent or stop.... anything. All an alarm system ever does is just what the name implies. It alarms [alerts] you of the happening. Just like a fire alarm doesn't prevent or stop a fire... a burglar alarm will not prevent or stop a burglary.

Security alarms are a great thing to have.. every home should have them (and smoke/fire alarms). Your security alarm... just like with your smoke fire/alarm... might alert you early enough for you and your family to escape, if your at home during a break-in. If your away from home the alarm may prevent you from walking in on the robbery.

It's just like Jsnlong says:

People get broken into all the time even with there alarms installed and turned on.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 06:55:16 AM by Dave_x10_L »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 11:25:23 PM »

I guess that there could always be the argument that the customer never armed the system.

...... On the security alarm wavier.... The alarm is just a prevention tool not a guarantee you wont get robbed

No offense guys but alarms neither prevent or stop.... anything. All an alarm system ever does is just what the name implies. It alarms [alerts] you of the happening. Just like a fire alarm doesn't prevent or stop a fire... a burglar alarm will not prevent or stop a burglary.

Security alarms are a great thing to have.. every home should have them (and smoke/fire alarms). Your security alarm... just like with your smoke fire/alarm... might alert you early enough for you and your family to escape, if your at home during a break-in. If your away from home the alarm may prevent you from walking in on the robbery.

It's just like Jsnlong says:

People get broken into all the time even with there alarms installed and turned on.

Sad but true!

This is the reason the alarm company I work for insists that we use the term "detect" not "protect".   ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »

...This is the reason the alarm company I work for insists that we use the term "detect" not "protect".   ;)
I was looking through the manual of my alarm the other day and noticed the "Warning Please Read Carefully" page. It starts with a note recommending installers tell the alarm user...

"
This system has been carefully designed to be as effective as possible. There are circumstances, however, involving fire burglary, or other types of emergencies where it may not provide protection. Any alarm system of any type may be compromised deliberately or may fail to operate as expected for a variety of reasons."
[/list]

The rest of the page is filled with small print detailing all the possible ways it could fail ending with the note,

"
An alarm system also is not a substitute for property owners, renters, or other occupants to act prudently to prevent or minimize the harmful effects of an emergence situation."
[/list]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:19:14 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 05:09:58 AM »

Often times when I reread some of my comments about alarms and alarm systems. I sometimes feel like I bully people with my alarm comments. Of course that is never my intentions.

Over 25 years ago, I hardwired my first alarm system, it was in my first home also. I completely remodeled that home to include solid doors and new windows.. everything had good locks too. I also added outside lighting and landscaped so as to not have hiding places near the home.

The great thing about the alarm was it assured a completed process. Our process before I installed the alarm was close and lock the doors and windows... then leave through the exit door. The door we used normally... when leaving.. locked itself behind us. However... before the alarm was installed it was comman to find particularly open windows and on occasion an open door. Making setting the alarm part of the leaving the house process completely eliminated that.. as alarms generally won't arm with open doors and/or windows.

Alarm systems provide peace of mind too. A noise in the night wakes most people... including me. How often has someone roamed the house at night after hearing something.. to be sure no one had broken in. My brother nearly shot a rattling furnace door one night... many years ago. Having an alarm can mean rolling over and going back to sleep.

My dad was a (high ranking) career policeman. He knew that some neighborhoods were often put at risk of burglary because budget restrictions slowed responce times in those areas. Larger cities provide uniform response times by having "stations" (from where police are dispatched). Dad knew the "bad guys" knew the response times as well as he did. How long it takes for the police to get to any given area adds to or reduces the risk to that area.

I don't expect my alarm to scare-off anyone. I often read that people expect the alarm to scare-off intruders. I am sure some intruders are scared-off by alarms. But I feel the plan to scare someone with a buzzer... might not be well thought out. 

It's like steven r and X10 says:  "An alarm system also is not a substitute for property owners, renters, or other occupants to act prudently to prevent or minimize the harmful effects of an emergence situation."

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:59:06 PM »

....It's like steven r and X10 says:  "An alarm system also is not a substitute for property owners, renters, or other occupants to act prudently to prevent or minimize the harmful effects of an emergence situation."
Actually it would be more correct to say, "It's like steven r's alarm manual says:" I don't have an X10 alarm and am not aware if the X10 alarm comes with any disclaimers.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.