Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I guess it's all going back unless someone here can help  (Read 10491 times)

jeepr

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I guess it's all going back unless someone here can help
« on: January 19, 2009, 02:09:22 PM »

I bought the 4-camera system with the Vanguard software.  I've got two show-stopping problems, both of which from reading the forums here and elsewhere, are common:

1) The CM19A can't receive the signal from the motion detectors unless they are literally in the same room
2) On my better computer, Vanguard (rundll) is using 100% of the CPU.  On the other computer (which is a laptop that travels with me, so it can't stay on there) it consumes about 40-50%.

Regarding the receive abilities, the computer is on the second floor.  I have literally put the motion detector ONE step down on the stairs, which is only about 15 feet from the CM19A, and it can't get the signal.  Likewise, I had it sitting on a bookshelf, which meant the signal had to go through one or two sides of the bookshelf.. nothing!  I've tried the extending the antenna to no avail.  I've tried hooking an extension cord to the USB to get it away from the computer... still nothing.  Best I can ever get is maybe one detector of the 4.  The TM751 has no problems receiving the exact same signal from the exact same motion detectors at great distances.  I called a few times and they were no help.  In fact, two of the agents didn't understand how it worked, suggesting the TM751 does the receiving, not the CM19A.  I inquired about a CM15A, willing to pay for it, but nobody would confirm if that would help and if it would work with Vanguard.  I saw some talk of the RF repeater, but it has been discontinued with no replacement.  The CM19A clearly has a problem that is well documented on various forums.

On the CPU usage, it's noteworthy that both computers are WELL beyond the minimum requirements.  I also find it interesting that when it writes files and folders it is using GMT time instead of the local computer's time, and they acted like that was unusual... but again, it's all over the internet.  It doesn't look like Vanguard has had any updates for like 6 years!?

This stuff would be awesome, and it's 90% there.  I'd like to get it to work, but all X10 did was issue me an RMA rather than try to address these problems.  I was able to e-mail with a level 2 person a few times, but that's it.  I was never able to talk to anybody from level 2. Technically, it's not even doing what they advertise... since some of the ads show a motion detector out in a front flowerbed, etc.  In my experience that would only work if the computer was on the front porch!  Or, at best, the front room, and even then forget about motion detectors at the back door or side doors!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 02:11:07 PM by jeepr »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: I guess it's all going back unless someone here can help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »

There are many things which can effect the RF signal from getting from point A to B!
Since the TM751 is seeing the signals it most likely isn't a building issue but more like RF interference (cordless phone,wireless LAN)
Do an Advanced Search on RF reception it may yield some more info and examples of how others have remedied this!
True the CM15A is a beter tranciever, getting one most likely won't fix your RF issue but could allow a workarround using the TM751 since it can see PLCs!!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »

I bought the 4-camera system with the Vanguard software. ..................
This stuff would be awesome, and it's 90% there.  I'd like to get it to work, but all X10 did was issue me an RMA rather than try to address these problems. 

Yes... the more complex the setups... the less plug and play they are. Since you've been reading the forums now, your aware of some of the fixes available. Like Tuicemen posted, AHP (the CM15A) will likely let you do a work-around. All this stuff really does work.. and really is awesome.... but it doesn't always come easy.

You never posted why you want/need a camera setup, or what you might try next if you do send everything back.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jeepr

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:20:38 PM »

Does the CM15A work with Vanguard?

I have several other wireless things, such as computer network, cordless phone, and weather center.  But I checked the frequencies and none of them are anywhere near those of X10.  Furthermore, those would affect the TM751 also.  I can put it in the outlet right by the CM19A and it has NO problem receiving the signals from the motion detectors... if there was RF interference, it should affect it also?

My goal was 1) to be able to see my driveway/front door when working from home upstairs.  and 2) be notified via e-mail of motiion in the house when I'm traveling and be able to look at the house (after a storm, etc).  Obviously #1 works fine, but #2 is not possible if Vanguard can't get a signal from the motion detectors.

I think it's clear from what I found and what I've seen from others, that the CM19A is a TERRIBLE receiver, they've got a problem that they won't admit.  So, best I know I only have the following options:

1) Send it all back
2) Try the CM15A, if it works with Vanguard
3) Get one of the repeaters, which are still available on ebay.

But, X10 didn't seem interested in working with me to solve this... even though it meant I would probably buy more stuff.  It's pretty frustrating when both of my problems seem to be common problems yet they act like they've never heard of it and I'm a freak or something.

Anyone got any ideas on the 100% cpu?  They never answered that either... they asked for some information on the computer and tasks running and then never gave me any suggestions beyond that.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 12:55:40 PM by jeepr »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »

Yes the CM15A will work with Vanguard but I don't know why you would use it over AHP with all plug-ins!
AHP can do everything Vanguard can and much more (and it is a newer program)!
If you deside to send back the vanguard package for a AHP one make sure you get a Va11a or Va12a with it!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

jeepr

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »

I got a CM15A and AHP, and it's MUCH better now.  The software behaves better, the CM15A can actually receive, and if it can't the TM571 acts as a "repeater".  So, now on to my posts in the AHP forum now   ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 11:59:00 PM by jeepr »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:14:36 PM »

I got a TM15A and AHP, and it's MUCH better now.  The software behaves better, the TM15A can actually receive, and if it can't the TM571 acts as a "repeater".  So, now on to my posts in the AHP forum now   ;D

BTW, the interface with AHP is the CM15A  not the TM15A, no such animal.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.