Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: baby monitor or intercom system  (Read 14070 times)

cjc5602

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
baby monitor or intercom system
« on: January 27, 2009, 09:20:01 AM »

I am in the final stages of my set up and am wondering which is the mast popular setup for voice controll. I want a clean professional look and if i did use baby monitors i am planning on dismantling them so i can place them in the wall. and if i use the intercom upgrade as shown on the BVC fan site i definitely want to recess the console in the wall. what have other people done, any ideas and suggestions would be great as to i am really not leaning either way. both options are viable but i would like to hear about other peoples ideas.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: baby monitor or intercom system
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:44:28 PM »

.........what have other people done, any ideas and suggestions would be great as to i am really not leaning either way.

When I first read about BVC (back then still called BXVC for: Bill's X10 Voice Commander) the only widely known and excepted method for Voice-to-PC was a wired and extremely complex and expensive gated microphone setup.

I believed at the time that one of the big hold-ups of Voice Control was the microphone setup. I posted about my trials and errors as I tried different setups. All through my trial and error process... I/we received GREAT advice and guidance from a fellow forum member (and HomeSeer Voice Control user) named glt. glt used radio shack RF intercoms with his system... and he shared valuable information though-out the BXVC thread.

The $17 baby-monitors were the last thing I tried because they worked so well... and they proved a point. The point being is the microphone system doesn't need to cost a fortune to work well. I had always planned on converting (upgrading) to a intercom system (like glt's), but I never have. My baby monitors are hidden away behind decorations and such and have continued to work without failing.

All I have ever meant to say about the baby monitors is: they have worked well for me. Getting a clear mono voice to the PC (and that is all that is required) can be done cheaply and easily. I have no real audiophile type skills or knowledge.. and I built a great reliable setup using Walmarts cheapest Baby monitor. I think the most popular setup remains the intercoms... and for good reason too. They are not expensive... and they are attractive and can be feature rich.

NOTE: Thanks for a chance to ramble down the BVC memory Lane.. I enjoyed reviewing the old BXVC thread.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:26:12 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 10:38:34 PM »

I tried the same baby monitors that you did. The safety first $17.00 ones.
I modified as you did and plugged them into the line input of my sound card.

They work as well as even a pro wireless system that I tried. But am stuggling with having to enunciate-very-deliberately in order to be recognized. Often times I'll say "Ron light on" and it will say  false recognition: Ron light on

What!? - I want to strangle that MS Mary sometimes.

It's no better with a pro wireless system so it must be me.
However I did beckon my wife to come and she could not get it to even think she was speaking at all.

I'm going to keep trying, but I can't get far speakings as casually as you do to yours yet.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »

bitman,

There is a training guide to the ms speech SDK.  If I remember correctly, you have to read "War and Peace" to it aloud. After that BVC has no problems recognizing you.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »

... If I remember correctly, you have to read "War and Peace" to it aloud.

I think it helps to listen to tapes of Bill Gates speaking... then try to sound like him.  rofl

Joking aside... I really think volume control is the key to good recognition. When I setup the microphone I speak loudly (louder than I would normally). Then after the system sets the microphone volume... I turn in down.

I have (and still do) check volume levels in my living room (from my office) using the TV and/or a Radio. It was when I heard my wife speaking on the phone with her sister that I realized there is a difference. I am not an audio person but.. I think it might be the volume of air a human displaces when they talk that effects microphone volume levels. But it's been my experience that it is much easier to get volume input levels too high... than too low.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »

bitman, I think it is an estrogen thing...switch to MS Mike instead of Mary.  rofl

Sorry sometimes I can't help myself, but if Dave and Knightrider or maybe Steve R and Boiler can't help, then it ain't doable
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.