Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The curse of the Sony Vaios! Was:Curious issue with a CM15a - Surprise Surprise.  (Read 24936 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Curious issue with a CM15a - Surprise Surprise.
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 08:11:09 PM »

Ah the curse of the free Sony Vaio Pcs.

It's not a fault of the CM15a at all (Surprise Surprise).
But whenever either a recently acquired Sony Vaio laptop that I wanted to use with BVC but had no line in,
- or -
The recently acquired Sony Vaio desktop tower that indeed has a line in were plugged in, it sucked the X10 from the floor it was on.

Gotta love the Japanese, They make great clean power supplies.

So that's nice, my BVC machine eats it's own.

I've got an extra Dell. - those are junk maybe it will work. It better have a line in for my baby monitors.   

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:53:45 AM by bitman »
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Boiler

Re: Curious issue with a CM15a - Surprise Surprise.
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »

Ah the curse of the free Sony Vaio Pcs.

It's not a fault of the CM15a at all (Surprise Surprise).
But whenever either a recently acquired Sony Vaio laptop that I wanted to use with BVC but had no line in,
- or -
The recently acquired Sony Vaio desktop tower that indeed has a line in were plugged in, it sucked the X10 from the floor it was on.

Gotta love the Japanese, They make great clean power supplies.

So that's nice, my BVC machine eats it's own.

I've got an extra Dell. - those are junk maybe it will work. It better have a line in for my baby monitors.   

Whenever I want to run a stress test on my system I remove the filter from my Wife's Toshiba laptop.  This is a particularly evil little device that transmits high frequency noise (above the 120 KHz range).  As a result, most of the bandstop filters will not eliminate it's emissions.  I was forced to switch to a Leviton (model??) low pass filter to eliminate the problem.

As the laptop load increases, the switching frequency of the power adapter increases to provide additional power.  This induces high frequency noise outside the range of most bandstop filters.  I believe this noise then combines with "other" noise on the line to produce a beat frequency in the 120Khz X10 range. 

The problem was very intermittent but it affected local units (same circuit) both X10 and Insteon.

Boiler

Dave W and Knightrider,

My apologies for the inconvenience cause by the latest storm.  We here in the North were running out of places to stack snow and voted to send the storm Southward.

If it helps, my Mother in Law (Clarksville) and Sister in Law (Bloomington) has crossed us off their Christmas card list.

The photo is old - the piles are quite a bit higher and are challenging my ability throw the snow over the top (I'm only 6'2").

On a lighter note, the forecast is for sun and 34 degrees today.  I may venture out with my shovel and try to locate my Mailbox.

beelocks

Is that a driveway you have there?

I haven't seen one of those for over a week  :'
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Boiler

Is that a driveway you have there?

Driveway? - Well it's a driveway of sorts.  Actually, we live in a brown paper bag in the middle of the road... (Python humor, couldn't resist).

beelocks

Paper bag? you were lucky....

etc etc etc, and you tell that to the kids of today? They won't believe you.

You started it and I'm English so I have an excuse  :)%
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

Dave W and Knightrider,

My apologies for the inconvenience cause by the latest storm.  We here in the North were running out of places to stack snow and voted to send the storm Southward.

On a lighter note, the forecast is for sun and 34 degrees today.  I may venture out with my shovel and try to locate my Mailbox.

Boiler, I could not get car OR tractor with snow blade out of drive on Wednesday. I was terribly disapointed about not being able to go to work (whimper) . However we have friends in Evansville who will not get their power back for another two weeks...wow three weeks with out X10, dunno if I could take it. 

Anywho after hearing of their plight to the south, I figure I don't have it soo bad. Although missing that day of work.... :' 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bitman

I can't believe my thread has been hijacked by snow stories.
I could tell you guys snow stories.
I live at 9800 feet up in the Rockies.

>!

Boiler

I can't believe my thread has been hijacked by snow stories.
I could tell you guys snow stories.
I live at 9800 feet up in the Rockies.

>!

That does it for me.  First I find myself over matched in a Monty Python remembrance contest against an Englishman.  Then I find that the OP is using his Sony Vaio on the side of a mountain.

You guys are tough!  I'm taking my ball and going home.

beelocks

The best use I've ever found for any type of Sony Vaio was on the side of a mountain...

They're a bit small but they work as snowboards almost as well as they compute.  :'

bitman

The best use I've ever found for any type of Sony Vaio was on the side of a mountain...

They're a bit small but they work as snowboards almost as well as they compute.  :'

Boy you got that right. The desktop looks like a slightly over sized street side mailbox.
Part of the attraction. I needed to stash away BVC somewhere mostly unnoticed and unheard.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

BTW, Sony Vaios are notorious for power line noise.  My wife had one, the first time she plugged the brick into the outlet in the living room, 2 lights refused to work.

We how have a hard fast rule:  ALL PCs get filters.  No exceptions!!!

I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

bitman

Can you steer me in the right direction of a good pc filter?

Thanks.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

...We how have a hard fast rule:  ALL PCs get filters.  No exceptions!!!
Ditto!
I use a filter everywhere I plug in my laptop and even have a "guest filter" for my daughter when she brings over her laptop. Both my desktops are plugged into UPSs that are plugged into filters. Also the other 6+ UPSs in the house are plugged into filters. This includes the fish tank UPS and the UPS for my dedicated charging station that I use for cell phones and other batteries.

Can you steer me in the right direction of a good pc filter?...
Smarthome makes some good ones. I'm not sure if they are the cheapest place to get one but they do stand behind them. I bought a lot of mine from them when they use to have auctions. EBay is likely to be a good source. I'm sure they'll be more suggestions.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 03:04:59 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bitman

Wow,

I feel pretty blessed.

I have two Dell laptops, 1 Dell Desktop and two Clones in the basement studio closet.
I have never needed a filter till the Vaios came home.

:ron

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.