Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The curse of the Sony Vaios! Was:Curious issue with a CM15a - Surprise Surprise.  (Read 24940 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

You are blessed.

Every PC or laptop we've owned has needed a filter, Sony or whatever.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Boiler

Can you steer me in the right direction of a good pc filter?

Thanks.

Bitman,

The Leviton 6288 is a plug in Low Pass filter that I've used with good success with my better half's Toshiba.  I had tried a smarthome Filterlinc (band stop filter) and it did not solve the problem.

The X10 XPPF may be the same unit as the Leviton 6288 - I've never taken one apart.  Hopefully another forum member with direct experience can confirm/deny.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9

Oh my, oh my have I got issues I had no idea I knew I had.

I found a socket in the garage where the cm15a would work controlling the basement studio devices a week or so ago, prompting the original post. Then if I turned on a Vaio pc in the garage or laundry room then the x10 devices in the basement would no longer be able to be controlled. Tonight however I found out that if I unplugged the vaio in the garage, I could control the basement devices as before, but if I fired up the racks in the studio and it's PCs the basement device control would also go dead. Wow. This is where x10 was born in this household. The studio has been x10 controlled in many ways with little incident for 3 or so years with the transceiver in the studio!

If I bring the cm15a back into the studio and plug it into the sockets with the controlled devices it will all work as before with everything on in the studio.

It seems like the CM15 can punch through the noise if it's close to the noise source and/or controlled devices. (Same room).

So humph.

I can't filter the audio racks and all that stuff and oh my is that a lot of stuff. with gear coming and going via ebay and customer cars and trucks all the time.

I can't have another (BVC) pc in the studio - or can I? Well I don't want it there if I don't have too.
I was using one of the studio machines as a AHP machine but it's too hight performance and power hungry for 24/7 operation in my mind.

With the antenna mod (wire wrapping) I can wirelessly reach the CM15 from upstairs - that's a plus.

It seems that I'll need to have the cm15 in the studio with the mother of all usb extensions to put the ah pc in the laundry room or garage.

I wonder if there is a wireless usb extension. I'm off to google that now.

BVC better just be worth it after all.

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

BVC better just be worth it after all.

I think it is!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

I know you do.
And you.....are my in-spir-ation!  :'

Wow! are wireless usb extensions ever cost prohibitive.
I have one of those really long powered usb extensions and it just might make it neatly to the laundry room.
It already makes it as the crow files to the garage.

Onward and upward.   >*<

HA Dave

I have one of those really long powered usb extensions and it just might make it neatly to the laundry room.
It already makes it as the crow files to the garage.

Don't forget you can also put the CM15A on an extention cord too.

bitman

Gee,

That seems obvious.  ::)

Sometimes this Ron can be quite a More-Ron.
Thanks.

HA Dave

That seems obvious.  ::)

It wasn't for me!

I had originally purchased some X10... (the RCA gift pack.. I think it was called and a PalmPad remote) to push-button control the lighting in my home theater. Soon after the package arrived.. I ordered a TM751. I hadn't understood I needed a transceiver when I made the original order. Then I bought the AH (CM11A). The frustration I went through with the CM11A (and of course a phase issue) can't be described here. That is what brought me to the forum... but only as a reader... or as another member later called a "lurker". That original (and perfectly good) interface ended up in my junk box.

After I created a camera setup... I returned to the forums for ideas as how to use MORE Home Automation. That is when I discovered BVC (still BXVC in those days).

The part I hated.... was having to once again enter into the world of AH... although then [now] called AHP with the CM15A interface. It was Puck that shared with me that I could use an extention cord... and KDR told me he was using a USB extention. It was the encouragement of others (here at the forum) that helped me to address my phase issue and do my 1st antenna mod (on the CM15A).

I can't blame my HA addiction on BVC! But as automation goes... talking to your home would have to be considered the hard stuff.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:56:27 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

Bitman

i think I remember when you wanted X10 just to control your "RECORDING" sign... :D

Invest in a XTB II repeater.

I have noise generators all over the house, 80 something X10 modules from one end of house to the other, five computers,  four TVs which have "always running" switching supplies, and a plethora (don't know what that word means, but like to use it) of small switching power supplies as I replace my inductive "wall-warts" with switchers. And only three filters are needed because my ACT repeater cranks out over five volts of signal which overrides the noise.

Since Phil Kingery does not monitor this forum and I won't hurt his feelings by not recommending ACT, I recommend Jeff Volps XTB-IIR to solve your problem.

phil, you are not listening are you?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bitman

plethora mean s**t load of stuff.

I like to use that too.  ;D

I have 3 recording lights now and thankfully they still work in concert with the recording transport.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 03:39:50 PM by bitman »

Boiler

Bitman,

Since your recording studio sounds like it's in a constant state of flux, you may want to filter the entire circuit.  X10 Pro makes a 20A wire in filter for just that application.  I use the leviton version for my PC Hive in the basement.

X10Pro Link: XPF Filter

bitman

Well,

I put the desktop Vaio back in the Laundry room where this saga began and ran my long powered USB extension from the pc to the CM15a in the studio where it is happy. I connected and powered the baby monitors and started talking to BVC from the living room. Lights come on and go off via command and macros are executing. Recognition is about 70% good.

After I stopped and went back to usual forum surfing one of my macros the "I'm Home" custom command that fires a macro where all the living room lights pop on executed apparently all by itself. This is somewhat disturbing. Otherwise it's starting to work.

I have a appliance controller on the Vaio ac cable so a timer can power it off at 10:30pm after I've gone to bed and the timer is set to power up at 6:30 am. Where the ac recovery of the pc will hopefully power it up and run ahp and bvc. The reason for this is I am still on the demo bvc version for now and my wife is happier not having the pc running when we are sleeping or not home - just yet.  ;D

Instead of using my ICON remote, I hope to say "Computer, Morning" and have it execute the morning macro. That will be something if is works like I'd like it to.

HA Dave

After I stopped and went back to usual forum surfing one of my macros the "I'm Home" custom command that fires a macro where all the living room lights pop on executed apparently all by itself. This is somewhat disturbing. Otherwise it's starting to work.

Most recognition problems are caused by too much volume. Too much volume can also cause the computer to hear things.... that aren't there. I run my microphone setup (which adjusts the volume) speaking louder than I normally would... then I adjust the volume down. My BVC anounces about everthing it turns on... when it turns it on... so I can be sure a light isn't turned on elsewhere that I am unaware of.

I have a baby monitor beside the computer (that handles the entire downstairs) and another upstairs. I adjust the microphone (run the setup) at the PC location... then adjust for the remote mic/monitor. My monitors face the corner of the rooms they are in.

With the living room monitor... and TV both On... I un-mute the microphone setting (so I can hear what the microphone/monitor hears) and adjust the monitor down till I can no-longer hear the TV. I caught-on to this one evening when trying to fine tune the mic setup... and my wife got a phone call from her sister. I found I could completely adjust the TV sound out yet still hear my wife speaking as clear as a bell.

I have a appliance controller on the Vaio ac cable so a timer can power it off at 10:30pm after I've gone to bed and the timer is set to power up at 6:30 am. Where the ac recovery of the pc will hopefully power it up and run ahp and bvc.

I put copies of the exe of BVC (and WeatherAloud in my start-up folder.. so it (they) automatically run when the PC boots up. I also changed my start-up (microsoft welcome wav) to a Jetson's doorbell.wav I found on-line.

That sounds like a pretty cool setup. I setup my BVC with my perimeter detection setup... which warns trespassers as well as me... so of course I run 24/7

« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:06:18 PM by Dave_x10_L »

bitman

Most recognition problems are caused by too much volume. Too much volume can also cause the computer to hear things.... that aren't there. I run my microphone setup (which adjusts the volume) speaking louder than I normally would... then I adjust the volume down. My BVC anounces about everthing it turns on... when it turns it on... so I can be sure a light isn't turned on elsewhere that I am unaware of.

When you say: Then I adjust the volume down.
On the baby monitor receiver or windows line in level?

The reason I ask is BVC or MS Voice or both, seem to wrestle control away from me with regards to the windows line-in volume, setting it back to the microphone test level.

Last night things were pretty stable, this morning after a 6:30am power on, lights and macros were executing all over and seemingly by themselves as my wife and I enjoyed morning coffee in the same room as the monitor mic. I unplugged the BVC machine and went to work. I will fight another day.

Thanks
:Ron
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:37:31 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

HA Dave

When you say: Then I adjust the volume down. On the baby monitor receiver or windows line in level?

The reason I ask is BVC or MS Voice or both, seem to wrestle control away from me with regards to the windows line-in volume, setting it back to the microphone test level.

Once I got the baby monitor working as the input I stopped touching it (it's volume level is also very low).

It sounds as though you have audio gain. I didn't think you could get that with a line-in device. I only run into that when using the microphone in. What OS are you using?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.