Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kitchen light  (Read 2685 times)

autobot_Prime

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Kitchen light
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »

Guys,
  Last new post today I promise  ;D My kitchen lights are 2 floresant shop lights up above a false ceiling. You guessed it I want to x10 them. Problem is the switch that runs them doesn't have a neutral. Can I run a neutral from the neutrals the lights are wire nutted to to the switch? This room is like my dining room the wiring is kinda exposed above the false ceiling. The switch wire is punched threw the wall above the false ceiling but joins old wiring and disappears into the attic but must come to the light wiring just via the attic. Maybe the hot for this off another circuit in the attic? Anyhow can I bring a neutal from the lights to the switch across the false ceiling and use it for a neutral for my XPS3  x10 switch? This is a single switch circuit. Not a three way.   Thanks again, Dan   >!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Re: Kitchen light
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »

A neutral is a neutral so if you can run it from the Light and down to the switch GREAT..most people find that hard to run nut with your false ceiling it makes it easy

I thought you was looking at my kitchen the way you described it  rofl just like mine
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »

Since the neutral wire is carring the current from its branch back to the panel. It may have a small voltage difference between the lights branch neutral and the one you are borrowing the neutral from. So it is remotely possible to introduce some problems with the setup.

autobot_Prime

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:33:37 PM »

Brian,
  Problems like... interferance... intermittent light turning off... or?  Should I use jumpers first and try it before perminitly installing?

thanks, Dan

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 07:24:33 AM »

I would try it.
I believe others have done similar things with no ill effects.
Just something to keep in the back of your  mind if you get something strange.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.