Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Slow acting 3-way wall switch (WS4777)  (Read 5771 times)

X10user_09

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Slow acting 3-way wall switch (WS4777)
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »

Hi all,

While I am new to this forum I am not new to using X10 products. I have used them since 1981 when
I purchased my first computer interface for the TRS-80 model I !  Anyway I'll tell you about my current
problem (if it is a problem) with a 3-way wall switch.

I have used an X10 3-way switch in my garage for a few years now. The circuit has two 200 watt incandescent
light bulbs. About 50% of the time when one of the two light bulbs burns out, the resulting surge will fry the master
3-way wall switch making the remaining light always on or always off with no control. So I order a new 3-way switch
from x10, install it and life is good again. Well about 3 weeks ago this happened again. So I ordered and received a new
wall switch. Wired it the same way as the old one. Now when I push the on button, either on the master or the
companion switch, the lights come on dim and brighten to full instead of full bright right away. This takes about 2.5 seconds.
When I push the button again to turn lights off, the lights slowly dim to off and this takes about 4 seconds. I also tried
controlling it with a remote - same results. Tried dimming and brighting with remote and both were very slow (about 15
seconds) to go through the full range of light.

Thinking I had a defective switch (and not wanting the hassell X10's return policy) I ordered two more 3-way WS4777
switches. These arrived yesterday and, you guessed it, they both do the same thing.

My question: Is this a re-design (maybe to keep them from frying when a light burns out) or do they have a batch
of bad switches? Or did I wire it wrong? Like I said before I wired it exactly the same as the original one. I suspect
that if I had wired it wrong the lights wouldn't work at all.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help on this.
Sorry for the long post.

-- Rod

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
Re: Slow acting 3-way wall switch (WS4777)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »

My question: Is this a re-design (maybe to keep them from frying when a light burns out) or do they have a batch
of bad switches? Or did I wire it wrong? Like I said before I wired it exactly the same as the original one. I suspect
that if I had wired it wrong the lights wouldn't work at all.

You've encountered the infamous 2007 redesign (or perhaps I should say "misdesign").

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 12:54:10 AM »

Yes in addition to the fade on / fade off feature, they can be brightened and dimmed locally by holding the button. They also remember the brightness they had when turned off.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10user_09

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »

You guys are great!

Thanks for the info. It would have been nice if X10 had updated the instructions to
reflect the changes of the new design, but maybe that would be
asking too much.

Anyway thanks again.

--Rod

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:22:57 PM »

There are soft start model instructions on the X10Pro web site.
In the Installation Manuals area. From the description you can probably find the X10 to X10Pro models.
http://www.x10pro.com/

Cross reference of models between manufacturers.
http://www.x10pro.com/pro/crossref.html

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:46:34 PM »

Or maybe you would like to try the XPS3 and a ws14A companion switch in place of the switch modules you are now using. Instant on with no dimming 20 amp rated contacts in the latching/unlatching relay design. The next time a bulb burns out you can just change the bulb or better yet install one of the power saving flood bulbs. You can control any type of bulb you are not limited to incandescent bulbs.

Just a thought.
Bob

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.