Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: would you recommend x10  (Read 15798 times)

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
would you recommend x10
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »

Hi All how are you all what a fine site you have hear, i spent about 5 hrs before joining reading all the post in the forum!!

I have a few questions regarding the x10 hardware and software.

I would like to set up a basic Home Automation, a few cameras, and a security system. I live in a 2 bedroom basement sweet. It has two doors one out the back and one out the front. bedrooms have glass sliding panes. my house has 5 computers a switch and a wireless linksys n router. presently I'm using webcam xp 5 as a basic video surveillance system. One cam on the baby crib and the other cam in kid bedroom. 

1. would you recommend them X10?
2.  what about all the complaints on the site ? (stupid people or is more then that?)
3. what would you recommend to me?

Thanks

David

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: would you recommend x10
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »

Welcome to the forum astrothug
Nice to see you've been doing some reading!
here are the answers:
1: Most of the regulars will recommend X10 you just can't beat the price! No homeautomation is plug & play no mater what the web site states!
But since you've been reading you most likely know the common issues and how to fix!
2: Most people complain first.  It is human nature. It isn't stupid people, maybe it is just doing stupid things (even I'm guilty of that)! ::) :'
After all how many people actually read manuals until something goes wrong? Probably less then read them at all!
3: Most if not all here will recommend getting the ActiveHome Pro suit (all Plug-in bundle) you may not need it all but to get part afterwards will make you kick yourself! rofl

You don't need to get the DS7000 security console if you have Onalert (plug-in for AHP included in the bundle I mentioned) and keep a PC on 24/7. But it adds some extra stuff!
You will want some door window sensors some and appliance modules!
You'll need the VA11A or VA12A video adaptor to view cameras in AHP!
Once you have that you'll want to look at some third party software to do things AHP can't like play sounds, responded to Voice recognition, get weather or other stuff.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

astrothug

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:16:23 PM »

well thank you Tuicemen for the kind words and recommendations, I have to say  Dave_x10_L has a great site with alot of info, what he has done is what I would like to do!! -:).
are there others hear who have webpages that show off what they have done.

again thanks and please I would love to hear from others too...

David  #:)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »

I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts and maybe some links! ;)
I know there are others with web pages showing off what they do with x10 and even programs they have created to do tasks AHP can't!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »

..... I have to say  Dave_x10_L has a great site with alot of info, what he has done is what I would like to do!!

Hey thanks!!! It's always nice to get noticed. I don't I have an exceptional X10 setup... I just promote BVC and X10 more than the average user.

When I built our Home Theater... I thought if I automated the lighting I could get some Wow-factor and yet save money by not buying an electric (motorized) screen. That is all it took to get me addicted to automation. For me... BVC is intervienious automation (but don't worry I have it under control). Users like Bill and Tuicemen (and others) have contributed much to the HA community with the programs they write. I try to give back a little... the only way I can.

I just updated my X10 related Web Pages and YouTube Channel today... it's sorta a hobby.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:02:51 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:19:52 PM »

No.

And while you would have to run the gauntlet to get at our lamp and appliance controllers and need to rip my ICON remote from my cold dead fingers to get it, I would not recommend this to anyone because most people expect stuff like this to work all the time like washers, dryers and the garage door and I do enough emotional support as a computer support guy by day.

When x10 stuff does not work it is rarely the fault of the x10 hardware but the environment in which it operates. Kinda like raising a family, I'll handle my own thanks.

When it works it's very good but when it fails it's very bad.

>!

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

astrothug

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 03:20:06 PM »

Tuicemen great site just checked it out, nice too see a fellow Canadian..hehe, Dave_x10_L you are so modest about your set up!!!.

so I should get this first is that right? http://tinyurl.com/b39x7m then add to it, like a camera  http://tinyurl.com/d28mng and then for Home Securityhttp://tinyurl.com/clx694, this will all work with the  ActiveHome Software Suite, plus the software from Tuicemen, to phone my Iphone...

David

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »

...so I should get this first is that right? http://tinyurl.com/b39x7m then add to it, like a camera  http://tinyurl.com/d28mng and then for Home Securityhttp://tinyurl.com/clx694, this will all work with the  ActiveHome Software Suite, plus the software from Tuicemen, to phone my Iphone...

You sure know how to shop!!! Don't forget to get a deal with some lamp and appliance modules and such http://www.x10.com/promotions/ur73a_ed_home_remote_lawg_0129.html. You can download the [limited] trial version of BVC now and have something to play with instead of sleeping tonight.

There will be other things to buy... EXPECT to have problems... remember to enjoy yourself.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:03:45 PM by Dave_x10_L »

astrothug

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »

thanks Dave_x10_L for the info, I'm checking it out, the software seems easy enough to set up for voice, I love that, can you download other voices as well?
looking at a touch screen like your little screen you use to monitor everything with. anyone else use a touch screen with X10?

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »

• the software seems easy enough to set up for voice
  • can you download other voices as well?
  • looking at a touch screen like your little screen you use to monitor everything with. anyone else use a touch screen with X10?
  • Don't forget I have a couple setup guides at my BVC Fan Site
  • can you download other voices as well?
Yes... I use Kate16... but I just made a quick search and found nothing. I also like Vista's Anna.

• Everyone wants touch screens....I don't know of anyone using them yet.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:05:09 PM by Dave_x10_L »

astrothug

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 09:46:50 PM »

so guys a few questions again the x10 firecracker talks to the devices through the wiring of the house correct so does the ActiveHome Home Control Software Suite do the same ? or does it use wireless technology. Im going to start to order some stuff this weekend keeping it simple and let it grow from there.

Thanks
David

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »

so guys a few questions again the x10 firecracker talks to the devices through the wiring of the house correct

No. Firecracker is wireless (RF) ONLY.

AHP (CM15A) is wireless (RF) and PowerLine (PLC)

astrothug

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 10:30:48 PM »

;) Thanks Dave, you are a wealth of information..... #:)

astrothug

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 10:42:20 PM »

Ok So does the
AHP (CM15A) is wireless (RF) and PowerLine (PLC) need to be near my break box or can it be anywhere in the house, reason I'm asking is that I live in a basement sweet and realy dont have Access to my Breakerbox, I read on the forums someone who has it there near the breaker box....

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 11:01:22 PM »

Ok So does the
AHP (CM15A) is wireless (RF) and PowerLine (PLC) need to be near my break box or can it be anywhere in the house, reason I'm asking is that I live in a basement sweet and realy dont have Access to my Breakerbox, I read on the forums someone who has it there near the breaker box....

No.... with apartments you can have special phase issue.... no matter what products you use.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.