Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PR511 Floodlights Motion turns on light during the day  (Read 19826 times)

shazam

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
PR511 Floodlights Motion turns on light during the day
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:51:03 AM »

I am recently re-introduced to x10 technology, so I am a newbie.  I started almost thirty years ago playing with x10 on a Radio shack Color Computer with a multi-pack interface.  After I moved on to PC's, I left X10 behind.  Now I have gotten re-interested.  I need some assistance configuring my PR511 floodlights.  I want to use the motion sensor on the lights, but I don't want the lights to come on during the day when it sees motion.  The product description can be read several ways and is a little confusing.  If I set the switch to "Sensor", the unit detect motions fine, but turns on the lights whether it is day or night.  That doesn't make much sense to me.  If I set the switch to Dusk, the lights come on at dusk and stay on all night.  I just want the lights to come on when motion is detected until the timeout occurs.  Are these units capable of using the motion sensor to turn on the lights at night, but not during the day?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: PR511 Floodlights Motion turns on light during the day
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:51:27 AM »

..........  I want to use the motion sensor on the lights, but I don't want the lights to come on during the day when it sees motion.  The product description can be read several ways and is a little confusing. 

Here we go the Wiki has a nice bit on that. Having the lights come on (only at night... only when they see motion) is what the floodlights are all about... at least thats how I use mine. But don't forget about all the other stuff those lights can turn on/signal.

My X10 floodlights also turn on cameras and a BVC Voice warning at night.

P.S. Welcome to the forum shazam... and welcome back to X10.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:03:16 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

shazam

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »

Dave,

Thanks for the response, but I think I didn't do a good job of saying what I wanted.  Is it possible to use the motion sensor on the PR511 during the day, but only have the motion sensor turn on the lights at night?.  I want to use the motion sensor during the day to turn on cameras and fire macros, but not turn on the lights.  Is that what yours do?  The Wiki instructions read like if you set dusk to the 6 o'clock position it operate the lights at night with the motion sensor, but no motion detected during the day.  I am the only one out there that wants to do this?

Thanks for your assistance,
Shazam

X10 Ken

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15:35 AM »

Thanks for the response, but I think I didn't do a good job of saying what I wanted.  Is it possible to use the motion sensor on the PR511 during the day, but only have the motion sensor turn on the lights at night?.  I want to use the motion sensor during the day to turn on cameras and fire macros, but not turn on the lights.  Is that what yours do?  The Wiki instructions read like if you set dusk to the 6 o'clock position it operate the lights at night with the motion sensor, but no motion detected during the day.  I am the only one out there that wants to do this?

You want to do what many many people want to do (including myself).  However, the unit is not designed to do that.

From what I can tell you have two choices:

1.  This is what I have done.  Set the DUSK setting so that the unit works day and night.  Then have AHP turn the unit off as soon as it turns on if it is daylight out.

2.  Disable the motion detection completely and add a stand alone motion detector.  Then program AHP to turn in the light if motion is detected AND it is dark out.

I hope this helps.

Ken
===

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 05:24:07 AM »

Not sure since I have no PR511,

But can you use the socket rocket plugged in the two lights sockets of the flood light and then try and control that with macros?

just a thought, someone with them can try to see if it will be compatible.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 10:24:41 AM »

.... Is it possible to use the motion sensor on the PR511 during the day, but only have the motion sensor turn on the lights at night?. 

Yes. Think of using the sensor... with no lights.. that should give you the effects you want. Now leave the lights in-place (attached to the fixture - but NOT wired to the sensor) You can wire the lights to a motion sensor (only) mounted nearby (around a corner is nice) or just mounted to a switch (even an X10 switch).

I think the light sensor adjustment... will allow the unit to detect motion even in bright light. If not.. you might be able to do a simple mod and cover the light sensor with electrical tape.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

shazam

There are simpler ways to skin this cat. Put a couple of "Dusk to Dawn" adapters in the PR511 sockets.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:55:30 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »

There are simpler ways to skin this cat. Put a couple of "Dusk to Dawn" adapters in the PR511 sockets.

Brilliant!

shazam

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:25:46 AM »

X10Ken,BaBalou, Dave X10 L, Dave W

Thank You all for your suggestions.  I appreciate you making the effort to help me.

X10Ken,
I am glad to hear I am not the only one that encountered this problem.  Because I couldn't really find any posts about this particular complaint I thought I might be doing something wrong.  I have tried the macro during the daytime trick and it works.  The only problem is my first line of defense (The DOGS) are outside during the day, and set the detector off repeatedly.  Still, its better than leaving the lights turned on for five minutes or so every time.  I have also tried the secondary motion detectors and that works, with a small delay.  I was just trying to use the PR511 to their fullest advantage.
BaBaLou,
That's an interesting idea.  I haven't tried that yet.  Since the floodlights are under the eaves of my house, maybe I can get by without any weather/moisture related issues.  I'll try it and let you know.
Dave X10 L,
That's an interesting thought.  I'll have to ponder exactly how I could put that to use.  HHHMMM.  That might just do what I want it to!    Thanks.
Dave W,
Forgive my ignorance, I am new to this stuff.  What are dusk to dawn adapters?

General,
You know, its a darn shame that these units aren't capable of using the motion sensor independant of turning the lights on ???.  They have to already have the internal logic to do this, because there have separate internal sensors for day/night and motion.  X10 has them at a real good price right now (16.50) and I would love to buy more, but I want to solve this problem first.  I can't believe some of the Electronics wizards on this forum haven't come up with a mod for this  :'.  It should be something as simple as a switch and logic to say that both motion and dusk have to exist to turn on the lights -:).

I have given each of you a helpful!  Thanks again for your sugestions.  Any Wizards out there want a challenge?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 12:28:07 AM by shazam »

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »

..............  The only problem is my first line of defense (The DOGS) are outside during the day, and set the detector off repeatedly.

Dogs.... does that mean there is a fence and gate involved? If so you can use a wide gap magnetic reed switch and a powerflash module to get an X10 signal on your powerline.

Dave W,
........You know, its a darn shame that these units aren't capable of using the motion sensor independant of turning the lights on ???.

Crap... the new forum still doesn't take my images "sensor adapter".

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:58:07 AM by Dave_x10_L »

X10 Ken

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »

The only problem is my first line of defense (The DOGS) are outside during the day, and set the detector off repeatedly.
You know, its a darn shame that these units aren't capable of using the motion sensor independant of turning the lights on ???.

Any motion detector X10 or not will have a problem with the dogs.  One solution would be a beam detector with the beam just above dog height.  As far as I know X10 doesn't make a beam unit, so you would have to get one made for an alarm system and run it through an X10 unit (I forget the model number).

Another way to avoid dogs is to mount your motion sensor just above dog height and insert a deflector below it to keep it from seeing anything lower than itself.

Ken
===

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 04:34:14 PM »

X10Ken,BaBalou, Dave X10 L, Dave W

Thank You all for your suggestions.  I appreciate you making the effort to help me.

Dave W,

Sorry Shazam,
They are light socket adapters that screw into a outdoor light socket and then the light bulb screws into the adaptor. The outdoor light is left ON all the time and the adaptor has a photocell that senses light/dark conditions, and supplies power to the bulb only if it is dark, and turning the light OFF when light out. So your PR511 floodlights would only come on when dark if you had the adaptors in the sockets. Maybe there are more common names but you can pick them up at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, even Walgreens for about $5.
http://www.touchandglow.com/product-p/s-700w.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Dusk-Light-Socket-Photocell-White/dp/B000HOSZNS
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:37:51 PM by dave w »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »

Brilliant!

Thanks, I guess I got a synapse to fire.  rofl

shazam

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:45 AM »

Dave_W, Dave_x10_L and x10 Ken,

Thanks for all the assistance and great suggestions.  You guys gave me alot of info and ideas to work with.  I have several things to try, and I'm sure I can come up with something that achieves what I was trying to do.  I still would love to see some electronics wizard come up with a simple mod to these units to allow it to sense motion all the times but only turn on the lights after dusk  :'   >*<, I have looked at the schematics, but I don't have the electronics experience to figure it out..... yet.

Thanks again for all your useful suggestions, and making me feel welcome on the forum!

Happy X10ing
Shazam

cobom1628

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 09:48:30 AM »

This topic might be dead, I am new to X-10 and see a lot on the web about alternatives - but I do not see the capabilities that X-10 offers. Anyway, I bought the PR511 (4 of them) because the idea of wired motion sensors is MUCH better than battery operated MS14s strewn around - just seams more 'solid' to me.

I am really surprised that this device does not operate floods during motion at night, while leaving the motion detector sensing during the day without turning on lights, after all - that is what you are trying to do - detect an intruder in a monitored area!

I am going with this (uses HomeControlAssistant or equivilent software): I split a circuit going to the floodlight - 120v goes straight to the white/black like normal, the other goes to a junction box to a wired outlet. The lights from the floodlight (blue/white) are wired to a an extension cord that is plugged into a lamp module LM465) - plugged into the outlet.
I set PR511 to D1 and +1 is in, set the LM465 to L2. A D2 ON is detected by HCA, a macro sends L2 ON if NIGHT, does nothing if DAY - and the same for the OFF. The WS467 remote switch might be a better option - higher wattage and a more "wired in" look.

Still - having to create a work-around for a product this mature seems REALLY out there - come on X-10.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.