Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Outside horn  (Read 28263 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Outside horn
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 06:18:05 AM »

No the piezo can not be replaced with a speaker. It is excited by applying a high voltage across the element. It draws almost no current so the drive is actually loaded down by a meters input impedance.  -:) I was toying around in my mind; maybe finding a circuit that could detect the voltage and trigger someting. Another thought maybe find the trigger signal in for the output circuit and use it as a trigger for an external device.
Maybe next time I see a Large Powerhorn sale I may get a few for experiments.  rofl

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

This seems to be an ongoing question from a lot of newbies (including me.) I jumped into X10 last month. Now, I'm noticing all the challenges it has. I currently have 5 powerhorns, which even inside aren't really that loud. I guess it has to do with the size of the house too (mine is about 3000 sf.) Outside, they sound like loud crickets. Like you, I must have good insulation. Fortunately, I have an older alarm (wired into the house), which has a loud outside horn, so when I leave the house, I turn on two alarm systems.

Of course, I'd like to do away with that, so I'm looking for a way to have a outside horn that would be triggered by the X10 system, but that would also stay on for longer than the max 4 minutes that the console leaves them on for.

There was a recommendation on a different thread about how to modify a powerhorn to trigger another siren. Unfortunately, it only works with the older powerhorns. I took mine apart and didn't see what the mod was talking about. See the following topic: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17381.0

I've read about people using an "aftermarket" horn, but I still don't know which they're talking about.

Personally, I continue to look into this because of the investment I've made so far and the home automation part of X10. However, I was very disappointed when I found out that the console can't even flash the "security lamp" anymore because they've re-engineered the lamp modules to have a "soft start", which causes the lamp to light up slowly (from 0 dimming to 100), but never gets to 100 because the console sends on/off commands to close together.

If you do find something, please share it. I'm interested.

Thanks,

Frank

To get around the flashing get a few socket rockets you can also still use x10 Decorator Dimmer light switches that's what I use all around my house I have a few lamp modules but mostly light switches and rocket sockets. You could also consider using appliance modules although they have that annoying click. So as you can see you still have a lot of options. And what power horns do you have the small ones aren't that loud but the LARGE ones in my opinion could cause hearing damage if you were exposed for a prolonged period of time those are the ones I use if you break into my house I want you deaf! or possibly worst.  ;)   See link below for the Decorator Dimmer light switches.

Tom j.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/ws12a_4f3_dak_1106.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:45:06 PM by tom j »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 12:43:36 PM »

.........You could also consider using appliance modules although they have that annoying click.

tom j... Since newbies may not realize... we should mention that the DS7000.. when triggered.. flashes "all lights ON, all units off". So whereas the alarm will not turn an appliance module ON... it will turn it OFF.

And I agree... the LARGE powerhorns could cause hearing damage.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 12:45:14 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »

originalevil:

I looked at the siren you point to, but I can't figure out whether to turn it on would simply be a matter of giving it "juice". If that's the case, wouldn't it be simpler to get one of those 12v sirens (could even have a backup battery attached to it in case power goes out) and use an X10 module to turn it on? - something like a "universal module"?

This would be much cheaper, and more portable - no need for new breaker, no need for more wiring (possibly a new outlet for the universal module though.)

Thanks,

Frank

Those are very good points, but, for me, the idea of an outside siren is that the siren is placed out of reach of a villain and it can't simply be unplugged. The benefits of this siren are that I can install it at the peak of the roof, in a box that meets code, is not easily accessible, and, because of its size, is not easily seen. Of course, once it starts making noise, it will not take long for it to be seen. Reaching it is another matter. Since the switch is wired inside the structure, it can't be unplugged.

Also, the XPS3 responds to "All lights on" but doesn't have soft start. It is a win/win situation.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:05:35 PM by originalevil »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »

...the LARGE powerhorns could cause hearing damage.
Was it this forum I read about a disorienting sound device almost or partly felt more than heard? It was for use in a limited area such as over the silverware or computer areas. The effect was such that one could not stay in the area for more than a few minutes.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »

Those are very good points, but, for me, the idea of an outside siren is that the siren is placed out of reach of a villain and it can't simply be unplugged. The benefits of this siren are that I can install it at the peak of the roof, in a box that meets code, is not easily accessible, and, because of its size, is not easily seen. Of course, once it starts making noise, it will not take long for it to be seen.

Actually... I like the idea of the siren being seen! Sure it might be useful for the neighbors to hear an alarm... but to be honest... I like my neighbors and and would rather they stay safe and out of sight. The last thing I would ever want is the lady from next door coming over to see if she can be helpful. Then getting shot and killed by a frighten 16 year old druggie from "that house down the street". That house... being where we go for the "Derby Day Party".

But if a prison educated burglar sees the siren... and robs the neighbors house instead of mine... well that works too.

The way alarms work... the intruder will be INSIDE your home when the alarm sounds. If you have a siren blaring outside... he will never know it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:19:05 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »

I actually have a after market x10 outside siren got two of them one as a backup, unfortunately they don't make them anymore but I'm talking to a electrical engineer buddy of mine and we have the wiring diagrams and might actually produce one if there is enough demand for it.

Tom j.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »

Is that the one that was made up in Canada ?

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 07:50:44 PM »

Those are very good points, but, for me, the idea of an outside siren is that the siren is placed out of reach of a villain and it can't simply be unplugged. The benefits of this siren are that I can install it at the peak of the roof, in a box that meets code, is not easily accessible, and, because of its size, is not easily seen. Of course, once it starts making noise, it will not take long for it to be seen.

Actually... I like the idea of the siren being seen! Sure it might be useful for the neighbors to hear an alarm... but to be honest... I like my neighbors and and would rather they stay safe and out of sight. The last thing I would ever want is the lady from next door coming over to see if she can be helpful. Then getting shot and killed by a frighten 16 year old druggie from "that house down the street". That house... being where we go for the "Derby Day Party".

But if a prison educated burglar sees the siren... and robs the neighbors house instead of mine... well that works too.

The way alarms work... the intruder will be INSIDE your home when the alarm sounds. If you have a siren blaring outside... he will never know it.

Good point. I think I'll pick up a couple of inexpensive sirens and mount them at the corners, but not wire them up (or figure out a way to wire a 12 v siren to the same switch and still meet code).

tom j

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »

Yep that's the one do you have one? works pretty well although we had some improvements in mind.

Tom j.

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »

Yep that's the one do you have one? works pretty well although we had some improvements in mind.

Tom j.

I remember the unit (sonic horn ?), but I never owned one.  I'm interested in any improvements that you might make.  If I could use my Elk siren with some thing like that it would be helpful. 

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »

Those are very good points, but, for me, the idea of an outside siren is that the siren is placed out of reach of a villain and it can't simply be unplugged. The benefits of this siren are that I can install it at the peak of the roof, in a box that meets code, is not easily accessible, and, because of its size, is not easily seen. Of course, once it starts making noise, it will not take long for it to be seen. Reaching it is another matter. Since the switch is wired inside the structure, it can't be unplugged.

Have you considered mounting it in an air duct to your furnace and / or A/C system?  Blasts throughout the house, but harder than heck to find!  ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 02:06:08 AM »

...Have you considered mounting it in an air duct to your furnace and / or A/C system?  Blasts throughout the house, but harder than heck to find!
The sound would definitely carry through the house mounted there!
BTW... Do you do that when your installing alarms? Any code restrictions in doing that?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 02:15:58 AM »

...Have you considered mounting it in an air duct to your furnace and / or A/C system?  Blasts throughout the house, but harder than heck to find!
The sound would definitely carry through the house mounted there!
BTW... Do you do that when your installing alarms? Any code restrictions in doing that?

Yes, we do!

No code restrictions that I'm aware of, but that varies from place to place anyway.

Besides, as DIY'ers modding our own homes, "What they don't know won't hurt you!"  ;)   :'
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 07:34:14 AM »

Waaaayyyyyyyy back in time, think it was the 60's or 70's, there was a company that manufactured a speaker in a metal box that was designed to mounted in the main duct of the house.  Think it was called "Music Aire" or something like that.  I only know of such a thing because I gutted one out of a house once.  I never did anything with it, or researched the company, but always thought it was a cool idea.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.