Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge  (Read 87648 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

Does anyone know if the "Airplane mode" (inhibits receiver, control channel scanning, and probably transmitter in the phone) in newer cell phones also shut down Bluetooth?

I'd never even heard of airplane mode.
I think it is only within the last year and on higher end phones that I have seen it as a feature. I am pretty certain it shuts down all the RF functions in the phone but still allows playing with pictures, stored MP3 files, PDA use, etc. It probably does have to shut down Bluetooth also.

However I don't know how wide spread knowledge of the feature is. I suspect when rolling down the taxi way and flight attendant tells you turn off and put away your cell phone, a response of "I don't have to, I have it in Airplane Mode",  will get you a quick trip back to talk with the Air Marshal and a turn around to the terminal.  :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »

I have Airplane mode on my 3 year old phone. The only calling it allows is 911 all other sending or receiving is disabled this Phone doesn't have Bluetooth or wifi but I would assume that is included as a send receive function ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 05:48:28 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »

My understanding is that Airplane mode shuts off all radios in the phone, which includes cellular, and can include BT, and WiFi (if present).  I don't think that this mode has yet been approved for use during a flight.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:48 AM »

It's called "Standalone Mode" on my phone.
My the ON setting is specifically described, "Turning on Standalone Mode will disable all wireless communications."

So if you're going to use your phone in Airplane/Standalone mode, put your phone in silent mode and don't advertise that it's on. If the person next to you notices, say I've disabled the phone part and I'm just using it as a glorified watch so the child in me doesn't have to keep asking everyone "Are we there yet?". Laugh and see if they care. If anyone in authority notices you, just say, Oops... I had it in airplane mode when I got on the plane and forgot to turn it off and then turn it off.

The TSA has search and seizure rights that in other places would require a search warrant, it's wise not to piss them off.
e.g. They can confiscate laptops and other electronics at their discretion with no time table for return.

BTW... There is no evidence that using a phone on a plane will interfere with the plane.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »

Steve!....have you done this before??    rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2010, 12:35:49 AM »

Steve!....have you done this before??    rofl
Which part? Using standalone mode or the "polite" telling the person next to me to mind their own business?  rofl
Before I bonded with my iTouch, my phone was my only watch as I don't care to strap things around my wrist for that purpose.
...or were you reading between the lines that I might be the kind of person that would turn on their phone just for the heck of it to see if I had any signal. ;)
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

lflorack

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2010, 07:51:52 AM »

Just to throw in my 2 cents regarding flying and airplane mode:

Although airplane modes probably vary by phone model, each of my previous three Blackberry phones, allows the connections for Phone, WiFi (if present) and Bluetooth to be turned on or off collectively or individually.  When I fly I turn them all off when the door is closed at the gate and then turn the phone off completely.  Once in the air, I wait for the pilot's go-ahead for, "approved electronics use" and I turn the phone back on -- with all connections still off -- so I can listen to music, read and respond to email (to be sent once we're back on the ground), task changes, etc and anything else I can use my Blackberry for while in the 'stand-alone' or airplane mode.  Once we're on the ground again, I turn the phone and all connections back on collectively.  Some airlines now allow WiFi connectivity while in the air now.  This is very common and completely approved by the airlines.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2010, 06:05:19 PM »

...Once in the air, I wait for the pilot's go-ahead for, "approved electronics use" and I turn the phone back on -- with all connections still off...
My initial post was somewhat intended to be a tongue-in-creek response as I don't fly often but I would be curious as to what, if any, responses you've encountered using your electronics in airline mode on planes.

lflorack

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
    • LinkedIn - Lee Florack
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »

...Once in the air, I wait for the pilot's go-ahead for, "approved electronics use" and I turn the phone back on -- with all connections still off...
My initial post was somewhat intended to be a tongue-in-creek response as I don't fly often but I would be curious as to what, if any, responses you've encountered using your electronics in airline mode on planes.

I've never received any reaction at all -- either from the crew or passengers.  The activity I describe is extremely common -- especially (but not exclusively) for business travelers.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2012, 02:12:11 PM »

I realize this is an old thread and many have found solutions for this using smartphones with WiFi or BTturned on.
However recently I discovered Real Time Location Systems (RTLS)
Wi-Fi RFIDs these are bigger then regular RFIDs but talk to your Wi-Fi network.

Ekahau carrys 3 models of Wi-Fi wearbles these have the range of your Wi-Fi network.
Using their software and optional locater beacons you can pinpoint a wear to with in feet.
As for pricing I've been told they range from $50-$150, depending on which model and the quantity purchasing.

However if you don't use their location beacon any program that monitored Wifi connections could be used, even BlueWatch(WiFi).
(sorry couldn't resist the plug) rofl
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »

Any Real Time Location Systems hardware links?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »

In order for Real Time Location Systems to work reliably (pinpoint to with in  feet) they use two different communications.
Some use WiFi and IR, others use WiFi and ZBee or WiFi & ultra sound (doubt any of us can do that)
Still others use something other then WiFi in their combinations.

Real Time Location Systems have been in use for a long time mostly used in hospitals.
With pricing coming down this may soon make it's way into our HA systems.
As for links to hardware info:
Ekahau
AeroScout

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2012, 05:29:13 PM »

I've been thinking about this a lot today and searching I found a RTSL system that uses WiFi and Blue Tooth.
There should be a way to turn BlueWatch into a RTLS using a Smartphone with the Wi-Fi and BT radios enabled.
Some devices will stay in discovery mode if left on the charger.
However I've only found a class1 headset that will (so far), and for this to work well the device would need to be class2(short range).
Even better would be class3 devices as their range is about 3 feet

I"d like the help from the community on this one.
Can anyone confirm a class 2 or 3 BT device that stays in discovery mode while on a charger
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.