Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge  (Read 87662 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 08:57:13 AM »

And now I've followed through with raster69273's idea (and some help from Knightrider). I started a Web Page dedicated to Occupancy Sensing as I expect this to become a big part of... if not the completion of.. my Voice Controlled Home.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

jadams77

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »

I just read through all the threads and am also interested in car counting and occupancy sensing.  I'm thinking about using one of those metal detecting driveway sensors to tell if a car is in the driveway.  Most have NO and NC contacts.  This one's a little pricey but you get the idea.  http://primechimes.net/dwa3.html  I think I'll try using some sort of a metal detector.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »

Have you looked at any of the Dakota Alert items?
They have some vehicle sensors also.

HA Dave

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »

This one's a little pricey but you get the idea.  http://primechimes.net/dwa3.html  I think I'll try using some sort of a metal detector.

I had looked at the "probes" (as in your link) myself at one time... because I live on a very busy street. Normal motion sensors seemed to get triggered by the traffic. The only problem I could see with the probes.. is they cost a fortune.

As Brian H posted the Dakota detector are top of the line (if that is what you need) and intergreats well with the X10 PowerFlash Module (to get an X10 signal).

I now use a plain old Driveway Patrol. I had hacked it to trigger a PowerFlash Module... but the signal conflicted with garage door detection. So at this time I just use the chime. What I did to make a motion detector work in my area with all the traffic was point it towards the house.

I used an old "lawn light" to both hide and protect the motion sensor. See attached image below.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:25:34 PM by Dave_x10_L »

jadams77

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »

Yes, I have a Dakota sensor at the end of my drive now connected to a powerflash.  It is motion so it picks up dogs, deer, people, anything that moves.  If I want only vehicles, I think I'll need metal detection.

HA Dave

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 01:37:31 PM »

..... anything that moves.  

Yes.. it's best feature is also it's defect. A probe may be your best solution.

HA Dave

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »

...The best "person at home" detection I can recall reading about was a parking switch for a car in the garage. But I can't seem to find the thread to link to from here...

You might of been referring to my post, http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=8304.msg71554#msg71554.
That mechanical switch finally failed and I switched a different arrangement that has a pressure switch attached to a plastic tube.
I live alone so detecting my presence is substantially easier than it would be for multiple people.

Yes! I am finding that the creation of the macros is a daunting task. It's just my wife and myself... so all I need are the four possible states of Occupancy. Both of us home, no one at home, her home (me gone), me home (her gone). Mix that with my garage door reminder Macro/setup conflicted with my car detection macro/setup... and other minor unexpected problems.

I've been using lamp modules with nightlights in them to test the macro state or status. Sometimes.... I laugh out loud. This HA is a hoot.

jadams77

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »

I have been kicking around the idea of using RFID for occupancy snesing.  Here is an interesting web site for RF on the cheap.  http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5378-Parallax-RFID-Card-Reader-Serial-.aspx

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »

OH I have one of those RFID Reader Boards. Got mine through Parallax, but it is the same unit.
Only thing is the tag read range is like 3".
Also outputs the raw ID Data in Serial. Guess you could decode it.
I have mine just doing a serial data to a LCD Display to see the data itself.

I also have a VisAccess VXS-5 RFID Reader Kit that is for opening a 12 Volt DC controlled door striker latch. Was part of a Smarthome Insteon Kit. That used the reader to trigger a IOLinc to interface with other Insteon Modules.
It has a pull down to common so it can trigger other things besides a door striker latch.
I believe it also has a 2"-4" read range. Though it doesn't output raw data just an open signal if a known tag is read or a reject LED if the tag was not learned by using the Master Tag and going in to the programming mode.

HA Dave

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2009, 01:11:56 PM »

I have been kicking around the idea of using RFID for occupancy snesing.  Here is an interesting web site for RF on the cheap.  http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/p/5378-Parallax-RFID-Card-Reader-Serial-.aspx

OH I have one of those RFID Reader Boards. Got mine through Parallax, but it is the same unit.

I like the RFID's. Ive even seen some that require a little less technical skills for the setup (here at SmartHome). Makes me wish I had more electronics knowledge. Smarthome also has a Bluetooth entry device that can ID a cell phone (up to about 35 feet). I think overlapping systems will just make a setup more foolproof.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2009, 01:18:26 PM »

Yes that is where I got mine.
Only difference was the Tags where round with a small tab for a keychain. Photo shows square ones.

Since I had the IOLinc Modules I didn't but the whole kit. Just the parts of it that I didn't have; and I think I found a better way than they showed to interface it.  ::)

Tested it with a Powerflash in the low voltage input mode. Worked just fine.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:22:12 PM by Brian H »

kevman

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »

Hey all,
I've been away from the forum for a while and was reading this thread and thought what about a ds1o mounted on the car and a larger magnet mounted on the floor where the car pulled into, AHP should be able to tell which ds10 it is whoever parked in a spot, ds10 open your gone -ds10 closed your home. yes?
just a thought.

HA Dave

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 06:40:51 PM »

I've been away from the forum for a while and was reading this thread and thought what about a ds1o mounted on the car and a larger magnet mounted on the floor where the car pulled into, AHP should be able to tell which ds10 it is whoever parked in a spot, ds10 open your gone -ds10 closed your home. yes?

The DS10A is very doable as far as ID'ing the user to AHP. I use the DS10A powered Key Holder to ID me by my keys. However it might take one serious magnet on the garage floor to effect the reed of a DS10A on the bottom of the wife's SUV. Although I did play around with trying a 12 volt relay connected through the cars accessory power... I wasn't successful. I have read of a modification of a PalmPad remote that causes a signal when the car is started... and then another different signal when the car is turned off.

jadams77

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 07:55:15 AM »

You guys have given me another idea.  Mount an eagle eye motion detector on/in each car with a different code and install the tranceiver in the garage.  When I drive in, I can tell by the code which car it is.  If I can get a strong enough signal, I could open the correct garage door when I pull up.  Will it work?

HA Dave

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »

Mount an eagle eye motion detector on/in each car .... I could open the correct garage door when I pull up.  Will it work?

Yes.. that likely could be done... but that doesn't mean it should be done. Garage door openers have special codes.... most are programed with a handshake type protocol (they have to be registered with the receiver). All that is good because it provides good security... as well as push button convenience.

X10 has no coded security. I wouldn't do anything that would put at risk, or reduce the safety and/or security of a family member or myself.

But I really like your idea of hands-free garagedoor opening.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:47:00 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.