Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Add a switch to disable local sense  (Read 13897 times)

ukbb

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Add a switch to disable local sense
« on: February 21, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »

I have a lamp with a CFL bulb that causes the appliance module to turn back on. I know there are hacks out there to disable local sense but how about adding a switch to lamp and appliance modules so we can do it without voiding the warranty?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Add a switch to disable local sense
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:52:51 PM »

I have a lamp with a CFL bulb that causes the appliance module to turn back on. I know there are hacks out there to disable local sense but how about adding a switch to lamp and appliance modules so we can do it without voiding the warranty?

Why not use some adapters with a SocketRocket. It works well and no warranty voided.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 07:12:32 PM »

There's another trick you can use:  A cube tap and a 4 watt night light.  Plug the cube tap into the module and the night light and the lamp into it.  When the module is on, the light goes on, when off the light goes off and stays off.  Also kills the "flicker" that some CFLs produce when the module is off, some strong enough to turn the module back on.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:50:33 AM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:24:44 AM »

There's another trick you can use:  A cube tap and a 4 watt night light.  Plug the cube tap into the module and the night light and the lamp tino it.  When the module is on, the light goes on, when off the light goes off and stays off.  Also kills the "flicker" that some CFLs produce when the module is off, some strong enough to turn the module back on.

That's what I do, and it works quite well.   >!
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:55 AM »

Just to add a bit of practicality and reality, I doubt X10 would add an "expensive" physical switch onto its modules.

However, it might be possible to add to modules, a configuration command.  An X10 enhanced PLC which would enable or disable various module options, including disabling local control.   Yea, it would require the user to have something like a CM15A to send such commands, which might be considered the only drawback.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.