Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Does X10 dialing really not work with Cable VOIP services?  (Read 44477 times)

lurky

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Does X10 dialing really not work with Cable VOIP services?
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:05 AM »

hi,
I see other people have commented on this but those threads are old so I'll start a new one.
I have the tripple play package; internet/cable tv/phone from my cable company and so does pretty much everyone in my area.
X10 works fine in every way except it doesnt dial out, I reset it, switched out every component and dialing just does't work.
Has anyone found a work around? This makes it pretty much worthless.

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Does X10 dialing really not work with Cable VOIP services?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:20 AM »

Lurky,

Sounds to me like you have the same problem I have. It is called a cable based phone system that doesn't support modems or any other dialing devices. I tried the 7000 security console after being assured it would work by "Tech Support at X0 " Once again they were WRONG. I sent the whole system back for a refund.
I use AHP for security and have it take video snap shots and send them to my Email.

I was told by one of the other users that I might want to check with my cable company to see if they have data line service available, like for using a fax machine etc. as a fax machine dials with a modem.

Till Later,
Bob

lurky

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »

Great.. sounds like they are selling obsolete equipment. I need to return it.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:21:18 PM »

Great.. sounds like they are selling obsolete equipment. I need to return it.
yeah, except (as noted) fax machines still dial out and use modem tones and I can not see how the cable modem industry would make fax machines obsolete. I would pursue your cable people. I wonder if there isn't some DTMF timing setting in the modem set-up(?).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dlboltond

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »

HAving the same problem, but I can dial out with a modem with no problem.  I don't know if I buy the fax/data line.

lurky

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:00:24 PM »

Not good news, and I'm past the 30 day return window. Unbelievable they'd sell equimpent incompatible with VOIP.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:25:49 PM »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to report that I finally got around to mounting my DS7000 in a hidden place, where I added a phone jack, which is powered by my VoIP service.

Essentially, what I've done, is disconnect my phone line from the POTS box outside my house. Then, I added a jack next to my VoIP adapter (hidden in a closet and powered by a UPS), which connects to the "phone" port of my adapter. At that point, all my phone lines around the house got a dial signal without a problem. I now have two phones plugged in (master bedroom and downstairs kitchen), which work w/out a problem.

Because I also wanted the DS7000 hidden away, the new jack is simply connected to the same phone line that connects to my VoIP adapter.

Just over the weekend, I tested the DS7000 by programming my cell number on it. I tripped the system and sure enough, the DS7000 called me and I was able to listen in by pressing 0. The DS7000's mic is very sensitive. You can hear just about everything around the house (even from w/in the closet.)

For the record, I'm in the process of switching VoIP providers, so I currently have two VoIP adapters to play with. I tested both and they work w/out a problem!

So, in short, VoIP does work, but I think it depends on a number of things:

* Your adapter should have the latest firmware to ensure QoS and the right protocol support. One of my providers (the one I'm leaving) has a locked adapter (SPA-2100), so I had to call them multiple times to get them to update the firmware. The other (SPA-2102) is unlocked, but it required that I call my provider to get the admin password. Then, I updated the firmware to the latest version, which I d/l from Linksys

* the VoIP adapter should be directly connected to the cable modem. Of course, for that to happen, the adapter must also be a router, which both of mine are

* although my new provider does allow me to turn on/off "fax mode", I haven't had to do it to get the DS7000 to dial out, so it's not true that you need Fax support for your line to work properly

I hope this helps..

action012

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 06:46:45 AM »

I just want to comment on this, I have Vonage and my X10 system works fine but I did disconnect the phone line coming into the house so I could activate all my phone plugs.

Now from reading the posts it sounds like you have your phone service with your cable company, this can cause problems depending on how your cable company has you setup.

A few years ago I had my phone service with Cox Cable. I wanted to buy a fax machine but one thing I notice with the fax machine I looked at they my not work with digital phone service.

So I called my cable company to try to determine if the fax would work on my phone line. They looked at my account and told me I should be OK as they installed a converter box, which converted the digital signal to analog when it comes into my house.

When I questioned them about this as I thought I had all digital service they explained to me that with older house they have to do this, but with newer houses they can just run digital direct. So some house will have convert boxes and some won't.

I suspect that the ones that are having problems are due to this reason. You may want to check around to see if you can get a converter box. I'm willing to bet that this is the main problem by calling your cable company you should be able to confirm.

Steve  >!

Update I did a search and found these converter boxes, but they are a little high about a $100. so I would make sure that this is the problem before I would buy one.

http://www.shopping.com/xGS-digital%20to%20analog%20line%20converter~NS-1~linkin_id-8011124~cid-2774183934
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:57:03 AM by action012 »

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »

I'm glad my reply helped out. Just thought I'd add a quick update on my configuration.

Recently, I decided to put a better router/firewall between my cable modem and my VoIP adapter. As it turned out, the VoIP adapter's router was not powerful enough to handle all my requirements (take calls and serve my intense network needs). I have teenagers that spend a lot of time watching videos, playing games, etc. online.

However, the biggest problem with the VoIP adapter was that it limited my bandwidth to 7.5 megabits. I have a 12 megabit internet plan, so the adapter was "eating" a good portion of it. Futhermore, I also noticed that attacks were being filtered into my home network, so now, I have the following configuration:

Cable Modem -> router -> VoIP adapter & 5-port switch, which connects to two wi-fi routers/firewalls (to separate my traffic to the teenagers').

This works much more reliably and allows my VoIP adapter to be dedicated to VoIP functionality only. Oh, and now, I only have one VoIP provider.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 03:05:57 PM by x10dude »

misterbeefy

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 07:55:58 PM »

Ok, call me a dummy, but I'm totally confused. I have Cox cable for my internet provider, and Vonage for my telephone service.  The vonage box is plugged into the cable modem, (obviously, to get an IP address), and i have a linksys router plugged into it(for my computers), as well as a fax machine. I have 2 ports (phone 1 and phone2) on the vonage device for phones. I plugged my security console into "phone2" and it does NOT dial out. What am i doing wrong??

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 10:11:41 PM »

Ok, call me a dummy, but I'm totally confused. I have Cox cable for my internet provider, and Vonage for my telephone service.  The vonage box is plugged into the cable modem, (obviously, to get an IP address), and i have a linksys router plugged into it(for my computers), as well as a fax machine. I have 2 ports (phone 1 and phone2) on the vonage device for phones. I plugged my security console into "phone2" and it does NOT dial out. What am i doing wrong??

I don't have Vonage, but I have Magic Jack.. What I done is put a splitter on my Line Out from my Magic Jack to my phone. One goes to my phone the other to my Security Console... Everything works fine!!  >!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »

Beefy,
Did you check for a dial tone on the phone two jack?  Just a "WAG" here, but I'd guess that phone 2 = line 2.  Without a second number on your plan, I doubt the line two would be active.
Just a guess.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:14 AM »

I would also say try phone jack 2 for a dial tone. Some jacks wired for more than one phone have the active pair on the other set of wires in the jack.
I like the splitter idea as it sounds like it maybe the answer you need.

klofton11

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 02:40:03 PM »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to report that I finally got around to mounting my DS7000 in a hidden place, where I added a phone jack, which is powered by my VoIP service.

Essentially, what I've done, is disconnect my phone line from the POTS box outside my house. Then, I added a jack next to my Voip Phone System (hidden in a closet and powered by a UPS), which connects to the "phone" port of my adapter. At that point, all my phone lines around the house got a dial signal without a problem. I now have two phones plugged in (master bedroom and downstairs kitchen), which work w/out a problem.

Because I also wanted the DS7000 hidden away, the new jack is simply connected to the same phone line that connects to my VoIP adapter.

Just over the weekend, I tested the DS7000 by programming my cell number on it. I tripped the system and sure enough, the DS7000 called me and I was able to listen in by pressing 0. The DS7000's mic is very sensitive. You can hear just about everything around the house (even from w/in the closet.)

For the record, I'm in the process of switching VoIP providers, so I currently have two VoIP adapters to play with. I tested both and they work w/out a problem!

So, in short, VoIP does work, but I think it depends on a number of things:

* Your adapter should have the latest firmware to ensure QoS and the right protocol support. One of my providers (the one I'm leaving) has a locked adapter (SPA-2100), so I had to call them multiple times to get them to update the firmware. The other (SPA-2102) is unlocked, but it required that I call my provider to get the admin password. Then, I updated the firmware to the latest version, which I d/l from Linksys

* the VoIP adapter should be directly connected to the cable modem. Of course, for that to happen, the adapter must also be a router, which both of mine are

* although my new provider does allow me to turn on/off "fax mode", I haven't had to do it to get the DS7000 to dial out, so it's not true that you need Fax support for your line to work properly

I hope this helps..

Wow Thank you. That was perfect. Exactly what I was looking for.

misterbeefy

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 07:31:10 PM »

Beefy,
Did you check for a dial tone on the phone two jack?  Just a "WAG" here, but I'd guess that phone 2 = line 2.  Without a second number on your plan, I doubt the line two would be active.
Just a guess.
Ok, now I feel like even MORE of an idiot. That was it guys. Thanks for pointing out something that I hadn't even thought of !
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.