Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Isn't my wife a saint?

Yes
No
You mean you actually found a girl to marry you?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Knightrider's Knightmare!!!!  (Read 105965 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Knightrider's Knightmare!!!!
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »

This will be a work in progress!!!!!!  :'
Where to begin?
Let me start with the computers I have running with CM15As.  There are three, two of which run AHP full time.  The third one's CM15A has a bad PLC transmitter, so the primary control software on it is BXMC (Bill's X10 Manual Control) which allows for RF transmissions which are transceived by the other CM15As.
On my main HA computer, I'm running the following X10 software:
AHP - All Plug-ins
BVC,
BXMC,
Alert Dialer Plus,
X10SW,
PC Companion (Full Version)
XCL (the original not included with PC Companion)
X10WavPlayer,
X10Dispatcher,
EvilKnight Fuel Consumption Monitor (Something that Originalevil and I have been cooking up)

On my second computer (wife's machine), the following:
AHP - All Plug-ins
BVC,
X10 Dispatcher,
BXMC,
PC Companion
X10Dispatcher

On the third computer (Carillon Computer), the following:
AHP (Installed, but not running)
BVC (it's there, but not used)
X10Dispatcher
BXMC

I'll discuss how these computers interact with the system in later chapters.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Knightrider's Knightmare!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:52:39 PM »

I know this may be a little TOO detailed  ;)

One of the neater things I do with X10 is Run my HVAC system with it.  I have a custom built thermostat based around a velleman k6002 mashed with the k6003 kit.  The thermostat is mounted to the wall in the Living Room on which the other side is the back wall to the Master Bed Room Closet.  I opened up the wall in the closet and mounted outlets INSIDE the wall backed up to the stud.  There are 4 PowerFlash units in these outlets connected to the Thermostat.

I heat my house in three ways. 

Primarily, I built an outdoor wood boiler (actually in my detached shop/garage/barn).  This pumps hot water to the house through 1 1/2 inch piping to which I have a manifold in the basement with 5 - 1 inch outputs.   There is a master circulation pump in the garage which moves water back and forth, and 5 pumps in the basement which supply hot water to different zones in the house.  The manifold in the basement also has a bypass which runs to the water heater supply side to prevent the master circulator pump from over-pressuring in case all 5 zone pumps are off.

The 5 zones are as follows:

Zone 1: Plenum on top of furnace.  Like a radiator in the duct work. Furnace fan blows air through it. Supply pump connected to Appliance Module on H 12

Zone 2 :  Radiant floor heat in the Living Room and Kitchen.  The pump to supply this one is connected to an Appliance Module on H 11

Zone 3 :  Radiant floor heat to the Bedroom and Bathroom. The pump to this supply is connected to an Appliance Module on H 10

Zone 4:   Radiant floor heat to the Upstairs Bedrooms.  The pump to this supply is connected to an Appliance Module on H 9

Zone 5:   Radiant floor heat to the Upstairs Common Room and Bathroom.  The Pump to this supply is connected to an Appliance Module on H 8

Secondarily, I still have my oil fired furnace in the basement.  The thermostat connections have been removed and replaced with an UM506 on H16.
The fan output from the furnace control has a 120v relay attached to it. (when the furnace calls for the fan to come on, it activates the relay) Zone 1 will also activate a relay wired in parallel to it. This allows both Zone 1 and the furnace to use the fan.

As a final reserve,  I have electric baseboard heat in the Downstairs Bathroom, Living Room, Upstairs and the Master Bedroom.  These are run by Heavy Duty Appliance modules on H1, H2, H3, and H4 respectively.

My primary thermostat runs as follows:  At 68 degrees, Zone two is called from a powerflash.  If the radiant heat is not enough, at 65 degrees, Zone 1 is called from a powerflash.  At 63 degrees, a powerflash calls for the furnace.

The bedroom and two upstairs zones have simple thermostats attached to powerflash units. 

Any zone call will active the circulator pump.  It also cycles twice per hour to keep the water in the lines warm by a timer in AHP.

The master circulator pump for the wood fired system (in the garage) is on a RR501 on channel H13.  In the event that the wood burner hasn't been called for,  the pump is activated by a temperature based macro from PC Companion when it's determined to be below 15 degrees outside.  This keeps the pump and pipes from freezing.  PC Companion samples temperature data from the internet once per hour.

I have a reed switch attached to the level float on my oil tank. It connects to a powerflash on M15.  When the fuel gets low, AHP sends me an email, shuts the furnace down after a minute and activates the electric heat.  (House Code "M" is monitored on one of my systems)  It also activates a .bat file created by X10wavplayer which tells me that we are out of fuel oil and that the emergency electric heat is engaged.  This happens on two computers.

X10Dispatcher has listeners set up to tell me when the furnace runs (lets me know that the wood boiler isn't hot enough) between 5:30 am and 11 pm.

In the summertime, I use a combination of window fans and window mounted air conditioners. They all are actived by X10.  The air conditioners are called from the thermostat with a little reconfiguation.

Coming up next......X10 around the yard.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:55:46 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
X10 Around the Yard
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:28:10 PM »

I have a waterfall out back which runs on an AHP timer.  It runs from 5 till midnight on week days, and 5 am till midnight on week-ends.  The timer has a date code range of April through October.

I also have a pool out back.  I shut my pool pump down from 5 till midnight via AHP timers.  AHP will allow me to over-ride the timer if I need extra filter time or I'm not out there.  Several years ago, I found a hack using a pressure switch attached to the filter's piping.  This is attached to a powerflash on O14 which tells me that the filter needs backwashing.  The alert is sent to my email and is announced by X10dispatcher.
I have yet to put in a permanent pool light, but I do have a "mount over the edge" model on x10.
Our pool tends to lose water in the summer due to evaporation.  To fix this, I modified a washing machine fill valve in the basement to feed a pipe that runs to my skimmer.  "O13" runs for 10 minutes at 6pm on Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from May 30th to September 2.

I like to garden alot, so I have floodlights set up on x10 around the garden.
We also have a horse shoe court, which is lit by an x10 floodlight.  We also use the floodlight to alert us when someone's out in the yard via a chime played through X10Dispatcher on the Carillon computer.

Carillon computer?

We live in a very rural area, and I have two PA Horns mounted to the back side of the house.  The Audio is feed to them via my "Carillon Computer".  I have a program called "Computer Alarm Clock".  It plays the Westminster chimes on the hour (with time marks).  This computer will also play different tones (low volume) to alert us when someone comes to call.  The neighbors have yet to complain about this system and have come to expect the chimes.  On the week-ends, we also play carillon chimes (hymns) and different times.  We change the music with the liturgical seasons.  The approximate range on the sound is a reported 5 miles on a clear day, but I have yet to confirm this.

The computer can also feed music to the back yard (again at low volumes) for our personal enjoyment.
Now comes a neat feature on this system....
Ramsey Electronics sells a cheap little "Cue Siren" kit for about 10 bucks.  They also sell single stage tone decoders for about the same price. 
In bad weather, our county dispatch "tones" out the  storm sirens over the fire ground frequency.  While that's nice for the county seat, it doesn't help us out in county.  I have a combination tone decoder hooked up to a scanner that picks up the correct frequency.  When all tone channels are open, a powerflash (P5) is triggered which trips a UM506 attached to the siren.  The system is deactivated in a similar fashion when P6 is tripped, which triggers a macro to shut down P5.
I actually had a neighbor comment that he was outside of his house at 2 AM one morning and heard the siren, which caused him to go inside and turn on the TV to find out that we had a tornado warning in the area!
I doubt that any of the above is legal in any way, but sometimes safety is paramount.  The same siren can also be triggered by the local volunteer fire department via the MSN messenger remote option on dispatcher or logmein.  My son is a relatively new member to the FD, and spends several nights over there. 

We have a Pepsi machine that we purchased a few years back from ebay.  I removed the coin machine from it and wired up the buttons direct (free soda).  The solenoids to dispense the product are 120V AC.  Four of the six slots are hooked to an appliance module set to P11.  This allows me to control the kid's pop consumption. (They'll drain 144 cans in a day if you let them)  I have also reserved two slots for a beverage of an adult nature.  They're hooked to they're own appliance module on P12.
I noticed that the machine tends to freeze up in the summer and needs to defrost every other night.  That was the genesis of the P16 Master control of the machine.  Since P16 is transmitted every time x10nets fires up, I'm assured that the machine never stays off for an extended period of time.
While I was adding x10 to the pop machine, I decided to pull the florescent light from the unit and replace it with three colored incandescents. The machine now runs either red, white or blue, depending on the time of night.  This accounts for P13, P14 and P15 respectively.
We purchased a Pepsi sign from Ebay with the caption "Pool" in the lower panel.  This too is modified like the sign on the machine.  It hangs from a tree out by our pool.

I have various landscaping lighting "scenes" set up on HC "L". the lighting includes spotlights on trees,  ground lighting and some decorative stuff.

I also have a mercury vapor "security" light mounted in a tree by the pool.  This is controlled by "O4" for when we do not want the light running.  For the most part, it runs "Dusk to Dawn" on an AHP timer as well as its own CDS cell.

I have X10 lighting in my outhouse as well and at one time even ran the septic tank aerator motor.

Coming up Next........ "Home Mechanical Systems"
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Home Mechanical Systems
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »

Some of the information overlaps here, so be patient.

I was raised in a different time and place.  I regard the telephone as an important tool, not an extension of one's ear like so many kids do these days.  I have a strict rule that says no phone calls after 9 pm (drives the kids nuts).  To enforce it, all the phones in the house (with the exception of two right now) are switched off at 9 and re-activated at 5 am.  This is simply accomplished by placing a UM506 across the "TIP" portion of the line.  I wouldn't recommend killing all phones in the house in case of emergencies.  X10 Dispatcher announces the "house phones deactivated" and "house phones activated".

While I'm on the subject, you can read more on that here :

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17225.0

And that will detail House Code "E" and the smoke alarms.

P2 and P3 are Macros that announce When the washer and dryer are finished with their cycles, respectively.
I have read about induction coils being used to detect current draw on the appliances to create the interface, but my solution is a little more dirty.  I'm lucky enough to have both a washer and dryer with buzzers on them to announce the end of the cycles.  I attached relays to the buzzers to provide contact closures for two powerflashes.  The macros Open up computer 1's input to my central house amplifier (Chapter on home audio later). The macros also open up the amplifier's output to the various audio zones in the house.  This delays for one minute and then closes the inputs/outputs.  X10 Dispatcher announces that either the washer or dryer is finished.  There were some timing issues here, so the audio files were adjusted accordingly.  This system works well unless you are trying to listen to audio somewhere in the house.  Then you have to re-open the channel you were listening to.  I'll get this fixed (somehow) in the future.

P4 and I1 are powerflashes attached to my existing wired doorbell system, P4 the front I1 the back.
The doorbell chime was mounted in a back hall way and could not be heard throughout the house.  Dispatcher handles the audio chimes for the doorbells on local machines.
I also use the doorbells to log video from visitors.  This is a "Just in case" type thing. (no one around here rings the bell, they just walk in)

Here's the macro for the back door:

Macro name :   Back Doorbell                                 Back Doorbell 1A

Condition :      "It's nighttime"                               <none>

Sequence:        Bedroom light on                            Select Cam "back door"

Kitchen West ON                            Video Recording "Start"

Driveway Light 40%                         Delay "3:00"

Back Door Light ON                          Video Recording "Stop"

Select Cam "back door"

Video Recording "Start"

Delay "3:00"

Video Recording "Stop"

P9  and P10 are labeled as chime modules, indoor and outdoor respectively.  They are there in name only.  These units are actually represented in X10 Dispatcher on respective computers according to the computers outputs.  P9 is a wav file from the Dispatcher Sound Pack of the "Jetsons" doorbell.  P10 is a wav of the Star Trek TNG doorchime.  These chimes are triggered by respective motion sensors around the house and a laser trip sensor on the driveway (ramsey electronics) attached to a powerflash.

B9 controls the fireplace.  This is done with a UM506 inline with the manual control.  The unit is inline (series) with the wall switch control to prevent accidental fireplace ignition.  It's very cool to tell BVC to "Light my fire" and she/he does.  This control can be very easily adapted to electric fireplaces as well using an appliance module.

Thus ends the chapter on home mechanical systems.

Coming up Next........ X10 in the Garage

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 01:28:26 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
X10 in the Garage
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:21:58 AM »

Ok, at this point I should really be in bed, but I'm on a roll.

The garage is easy.  Aside from all my interior lighting (G3, G4, G5, G6, and G8), and my exterior lighting (G1, G2), I have an exhaust fan wired up (G7) and my air compressor (G16).
The air compressor is a small 3 horse portable model hooked to a piping system with a check valve on it (so I can remove the compressor) attached to a 60 gallon storage tank.  I only mention this now because some of my future x10 plans include pneumatics.

I do have a computer out in the garage, but no x10 interface.  The garage (was a carriage house at one time) is detached and about 30 feet away from the house.  Again, I have no problems passing the x10 signal out there.

As previously mentioned, the woodboiler is out there with a rr501 hooked to the master circulator pump.

I have a Radio Shack mini controller out on my workbench, as well as a palmpad.

There is a wired camera which views the interior of the main section of the shop as well as a camera mounted to the front of the shop. (more on cameras in a later chapter)

Up Next............Home Audio with X10
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Home Audio With X10
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »

This one is easy as well.
A long time ago, I discovered that you could switch audio lines by running stereo lines in a three wire configuration (common ground to both channels) and disabling the ground via a UM506.  While I don't recommend switching speakers this way, it can be done.  Just be sure that your amplifier can handle the varying loads.
A better way of doing this can be found here:
http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.php
I have 5 speaker "zones" on my main floor from a really great amplifier that my dad built from junk parts.  I also have two upstairs zones for paging the kids.  I have two outside zones which we use in the summertime by setting speakers out by the pool and in the yard.  I acquired a spool of underground type telephone wire for these speakers and it works out well.
I also have switched inputs to the amplifier, 4 in all.  This with some macros inhabit HC "N" on my system.

Up Next.......... X10 On The Go
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 11:48:01 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
X10 On The Go
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:24 AM »

Who says you have to leave the x10 at home?
As many of you know, I've been a mobile DJ since I was 15 years old.  Lighting is important to a DJ presentation, and as a young buck, I couldn't afford "intelligent" lighting aka DMX.  My solution? Stand alone effects lights with onboard sound controllers.  My first attempt was a consol that I built with cheap wall switches on the front and outlets on the back.  I then ran extension cords from those outlets to my lighting effects.  It was a mess and made me look like a mickey mouse operation.
X10 fixed all that.
In the early days, I moved all my lights to a palm pad and appliance modules.  Brought my DJ service up to "Pro Grade" and eliminated all those trip wires.  Since 2004, I've brought a CM15A to my gigs.
House Code "D" runs all my DJ Lights, including a light chaser (ness DJ 2400), my mirrored ball rotator, pin spots on the mirrored ball,  work lights over my main consol, a laser, moon flower effects, florescent black lights, for machines, police lights and others.  AHP allowed me to write macros for slow dances and fast ones.
I also use a modified version of BXMC to run the DJ lights on their own screen.
Over the years, the DJ service has grown to custom sound work with public address systems.  I provide sound work for tractor pulls.  A new project that I have in the pipeline for this years tractor pull series is a 4 foot by 8 foot five digit (seven segment) lighted display.  This project will be finished by the end of May.  It's based around 5 15 amp circuits with an appliance module to run each segment.  A friend of mine wrote BXDDC (Bill's X10 Digital Display Controller) to allow me to enter the pull distances into the computer and X10 displays the distance on the large sign.

Since 1986, I've built custom Halloween displays with automated props and the like.  Since trick-or-treaters don't visit my house out in the middle of nowhere, I set all this up at a friend's house in town.  I have a MyHaunt.AHX file to handle this.  I was hoping to post some of these ideas when X10 had another Halloween contest, but have yet to see it.  One of my best props is a coffin that opens the lid, and a skeleton pops up.  This is accomplished with screen door closers converted to pneumatic cylinders and controlled with washing machine solenoids on appliance modules.  AHP macros keep the skeleton from hitting the coffin lid before it is opened.  I have various other props hooked to X10 and can control the whole yard with a palmpad or the computer.  I have posted many of these projects on the wildrice halloween list.

Up Next..............Cameras Around The house
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Cameras Around the House
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:28:50 PM »

Ok, I know that many of you hate the image produced by x10's cameras.  I happen to love them.  The picture isn't great, but you can get the general idea from the image.  I'm a firm believer that Horatio Caine from CSI: Miami could always clear up the images if needed.
I do not have any wireless cameras around here.  They're all wired.  They all feed into my punchblock system and then to the computer.  Mostly, I use them to keep an eye on the kids.  I do, however have some cameras as a security type device ( just ring my doorbell).

Here's a partial listing of some of my camera projects:

Pool cam : allows my wife to see the kids drowning each other
Shop cam : allows my wife to see the kids cutting off fingers or otherwise maiming themselves
Back Yard cam : allows my wife to see the kids playing tackle football

you get the idea.

One of my great project ideas was a mailbox cam.  The purpose of this was to catch the SOB's bashing in my mailbox yet again.  Only problem is that my motion sensor set to pick up the mailbox also catches every car that goes by and the image reveals nothing.  AHP can't switch every fast enough to get anything.   I tried a DS10A attached to the mailbox door, and it works great to announce the mail delivery (wav file of the Munster's Fog Horn), but I can never get any damage being done.

I do, however, show all the visiting kids the "Go Live" image of the mailbox, and word gets around.  All local kids know to stay away from my mailbox.

Cameras keep an eye on things around here, and the threat of the cams catching mischief keep the kids in line.

Otherwise, they don't really produce a usable image.

My cousin just had a baby on 03-06-09 and I'm going to give him a camera to keep an eye on the nursery via his TV.

Up Next............The Unfinished X10 Projects and Fun Projects Shot down by the Wife
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
The Unfinished X10 Projects and Fun Projects Shot down by the Wife
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 01:23:42 PM »

One project that's been sitting for almost a year now is my x10 ceiling fan speed controller.  I've read Dr. Cheung's Capacitor Three Speed Modification and it was my inspiration.  My plan is slightly different.  Here's the kit that started it:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=K2636

and Ed Cheung's Project:

http://www.edcheung.com/automa/nohum.htm

It should be noted that Dr. Ed is one of my heroes, and that I have no promise of ever upstaging him.

The plan is to use a reduced output voltage from the wall switch to drive the speed control.  I also have a digital voltage meter panel to install over it to display the speed in a percentage. 

Another project that I designed was a dishwasher drain solenoid attached to a cable that ran to a spring attached to the flapper chain in a toilet tank.  This project was activated by an eagle eye motion sensor and an appliance module.

Wife says no way that thing is going to be in her house.

A third project idea was to take my modified screen door closers and attach them to my bedroom door.  With some careful drilling, the throw solenoid from the dishwasher could be cabled to the strike pin on the doorknob.  With AHP, a laser trip sensor, and x10  I could build automatic doors.

Status:  Air not run to house yet. Also concerned with safety issues.  Back burner for now.

Fourth project idea:  X10 enabled shower via the BVC interface.  I build custom showers for a living.  Some of these incorporate an On/Off valve mounted outside the shower (temp valve inside the shower).  My Washing machine valve hack would be perfect for this.  Would allow for two or more user temperature settings.  Could tell BVC to turn the shower on and then off.  I also have plans for a shower air dryer using 1 1/2 pcv ports in the shower walls.  These will be attached to swimming pool type iris ports.  The dryer system will be attached to a propane RV style furnace in the basement also on X10 control.
While I'm at it, I'm planning to incorporate some backlit glass block into the walls of the shower with colored lighting via X10.  I also have a lucite towel bar that looks great when lit from the ends.  I'm even considering buying some clear PVC piping and having the water stream from the shower head lit. (http://www.clearpvcpipe.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=122)

Early construction phase.

I really like BVD's idea of hooking up the Bunn to an appliance module.  Been thinking of taking that a little farther.  Would like to incorporate a robotic arm that dumped the pot and dropped in a filterpack.  Autofill could be accomplished with a dishwasher valve and some 1/4 inch copper tubing. Adagio's load sensor idea would detect the coffee maker's weight.

If I could hook a Ninja to my TV antenna rotor control, I could change the channel via BVC and set the antenna.

Up Next............Using Different Programs to Run All of This
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 07:28:18 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Using Different Programs to Run All of This
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 02:21:31 PM »

Many people ask me why I like using all the different third party programs at the same time.  Why have Dispatcher when BVC has listeners?  Why have BVC announce the weather when PC Companion can do it with a .Bat file?  Why have PC Companion AND X10WavPlayer?

Many of the answers come with the fact that I'm lazy.  I had Dispatcher long before BVC or Companion.  Sometimes one program has a feature that the others do not.
Dispatcher is great for listeners because it has "Sound Spam Prevention" -- It won't play the same sound from multiple X10 triggers in a set period of time.  It will also silence the listeners at user specified times.  I'd hate to be awakened in the middle of the night to hear "Furnace Active" (but I do like to hear that during the day).

BVC, Companion and Wavplayer are great together considering that I use Microsoft Mary for BVC with Tuicemen's Operator Face, Companion with Microsoft Mike and Dave_X10_L's K.I.T.T. Face Graphic and WavPlayer with Microsoft Sam.

I really like BVC's ability to hear "All Light's Off" from my Sears Maxi Controller and turn off my monitors.  Why wait for the screen saver to kick in?

Only Companion can activate my pipe heat tape when the outdoor temperature drops below 15 degrees.  The XCL add-on will be great when I get a touchscreen to mount in the wall.  Actually, I envision PC Companion moving completely off my main display and onto a maybe several touchscreens. (Thanks Trol1374 for the testing)  This would blow my KeyPadLinks completely out of the water.  Companion's Camera ability will be handy there as well.
In theory, X10SW will relay "All Light's Off" to other House Codes (still working out the bugs).  AHP really needs a macro activation based around the "All Lights Off/All Units Off/All Lights On" commands.  Third party software picked up where the X10 programmers left off.
Sometimes a .bat file for an event alert just works out better.  Custom Wav files allow for more voices and sounds.

I love the fact that AlertDialer will run x10 based on Caller ID.

This is just my way of dealing with all the different things I want X10 to do.  I know some people hate all the "Kludge" of having all the crap run in the system tray, but it works for me.

Instead of junking my CM15A with the broken PLC transmitter, I discovered that BXMC would send out RF to my other units.  This allowed me to put HA on yet another machine.  Plus, since BXMC is written in HTML, it was easy for me to customize it to "Vance's Home Control" and "Vance's HVAC Control"  it looks very professional running on it's own machine.

Up Next.............Knightrider's "Questions, Comments and Answers"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:50:20 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Knightrider's "Questions, Comments and Answers"
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »

I think that about wraps up an overview of my system.  I've been enjoying X10 since 1988.  I know some of this explanation was a little sketchy at times, and some of my modifications aren't clear.  Pictures are coming soon.
Thank you all for being patient while I tried to get this all posted.  I'm sure that I've left out a few things along the way.

I should note that I'm working on a video series detailing these projects and many more.  Look for it in the coming months and years.

It should also be pointed out that there is no building or electrical code where I live and some of these projects would probably never meet "code".  I've tried to take every safety precaution possible including GFCI's where applicable.  If you don't think you can do any of this within safety standards,  then PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS!

X10 is far from the best Automation System, but it's easily within my reach, and I really enjoy using it.

I should thank Tuicemen for twisting my arm to finally get this posted.
I would also like to thank the following for their software, support, ideas and feedback:

KDR
Dave_X10_L
jsnlong
BVD
kramer chins
trol1374
DaveFred99 aka Agent 99
s0urc3f0ur
longbow22
Puck
-Bill-(ofwgjohns.com)
ejhines
Originalevil
geek505
adagio
rabbitt
Dave W
Boiler
Oldtimer
and many, many more.

I've made some great friends here!

At this point, I'll entertain any questions you may have and be glad to help you, if you so chose to do any of this.
Feel free to ask away or just comment about my lack of a real life.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 12:48:26 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 04:07:37 PM »

Well as always Knightrider....Very Nice job. 

Do you have any house/unit codes that you are not using?  rofl You have to be close to out of them.

One day I'll need to drive down for a dip in the pool and a free POP ( Soda for people who don't know what POP is) from your machine. Maybe knock your mail box down too  rofl Kidding

#:)  :)+
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 04:26:36 PM »

JsnLong,
Here's an image of my unit usage.  Thanks for asking.
I suppose I shouldn't have posted the unit codes to my "Pop Dispense" and "Beer Dispense".
I hope the kids never see this.  :'
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »

:)% Amazing as always !!!!!!

You are proof that X10 can work and has endless possibilities....

:' Need you to come to my house and practice some of your Magic.....  rofl

#:)
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 05:56:44 PM »

Well, I must say, I bow to your greatness.  That is quite a setup you have.  I could see the benefit that the wife couldn't kick you out of the house, since she would need you to keep it running. 
  So, when you host a party it's not a BYOB it would be a BYOR(remote)   >!  The value of one of those keychain remotes.

Thanks for the write up, I wondered what you did with 170 devices that you mentioned you controlled.

#:)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.