Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AIO Remote  (Read 15630 times)

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
AIO Remote
« on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:56 PM »

The IconRemote is lacking, it has No RF & No back lighted buttons.

BUT !

What I really want is a All In One (AIO).

-:) It would have IR and RF. Also either WiFi or Class 1 Bluetooth (Range of at least 100ft.). Maybe both. -:)

-:) It would control Audio, Video, Lighting & Security.

-:) It would also be a Cell Phone & PIM

-:) Small enough to fit in a shirt pocket & have a small lapel pin microphone (So you won't have a dingy stuck in your ear) to make calls and for HA Voice Control
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: AIO Remote
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »

... Small enough to fit in a shirt pocket & have a small lapel pin microphone (So you won't have a dingy stuck in your ear) to make calls and for HA Voice Control

I also like the idea of a phone intergrated with a remote. Phones should be able to at least mute the TV.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

Phones should be able to at least mute the TV.

Ok Dave,
Here is how you do it (assuming a land line is used). 

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=TT1C

This is one of those things that triggers the remote jack on a tape recorder to record phone calls.  The remote jack is just a contact closure. 
Instead of hooking it up to that old sony, just hook it up to a powerflash. Then, when a phone in the house goes off hook, an X10 signal is sent.  PC Companion with VCR Commander Control OR BVC with the USB-UIRT can send a "Mute" command to your TV.

Cheers!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »

Knightrider , Dave_x10_L
Actualy PCC may be able to do this without the extra hardware as it will send a x10 command on a telephone ring if you have a modem in the HA PC!  ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:10 PM »

Knightrider , Dave_x10_L
Actualy PCC may be able to do this without the extra hardware as it will send a x10 command on a telephone ring if you have a modem in the HA PC!  ;)

Good Call Tuicemen!!!
You caught me not thinking.  The only advantage of my design is that it would mute the TV when you pick up to dial out.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »

Knightrider, Tuicemen BOTH are excellent ideas.

A few years ago the wife and I got a digital phone line. [However, it is routed through the old copper inside so both ideas would work.] All the options are included in the digital phone package... to include caller ID. I replaced our old phones with the state-of-the-art phones at that time. So not only does the name of the caller appear on my TV screen when the phones ring... the callers ID is also displayed on the phone's color LCD screen. Plus some callers have special assigned ring tones.

So [most of the time] the wife answers her calls and I pick-up mine.

I generally don't have the television volume very loud and I only mute TV.. if the call is for me.. and from a friend or family member. I mute the TV out of politeness... I don't want anyone to hear it in the background and think I am not paying attention to them. But... I most certainly wouldn't want the TV to mute everytime the wife got a phone call. And... most of the phone use is by her.

Soon... I hope to intergrate the Bluetooth from my cell phones into the home phone distribution... there are devices that do that. So we will also be able to automatically be able to pick-up our cell phones from the regular phones (sure beats running to the jacket, purse, or phone charging area to answer a cell phone).

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Another feature wanted
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 09:25:47 PM »

I want an option for AHP to "Ping" my remote and have it chime.  I'm always misplacing that thing.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.