Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hawkeye motion detectors  (Read 4487 times)

autobot_Prime

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Hawkeye motion detectors
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »

Hey guys,
  I am tring to set one up to turn on when I enter my kitchen. The problem is the perfect place for it to sit allows it to far range in to the dinning room. Is there a way to put something over the sensor to shorten its range. sounds bizzare but I would like it to only see 10  to 12 feet max. Thanks, Dan   ???

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Hawkeye motion detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:31:51 AM »

... Is there a way to put something over the sensor to shorten its range. sounds bizzare but I would like it to only see 10  to 12 feet max.

I have had some limited success in making a non-X10 sensor more near sighted using white translucent plastic. I have also tried putting the sensor inside a CD container (painted black) to give the sensor "blinders". Of course ceiling mounting can be directional also... as well as mounting the sensor lower (to the floor).

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 01:34:30 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »

Dan,
According to the instructions you are suppose to mount the unit about 6' up and looking straight out. The sensor inside already looks down and outward. If possible tilt the unit forward until you have the range you want covered.
Hope this works.
Bob

autobot_Prime

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »

Thanks guys,
  I will try the plastic over the sensor if that doesn't fix it I am going to see about relocation like Bob said. Going to have to do it Saturday though. Will try and post what I come up with.

Thanks,
Dan

zimcocomp

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »

I have had a problem with my motion detector that I would not have expected. The detector is mounted on the barn and is facing away from the road by 90 degrees. The road is about 50 feet away. On occasion certain (it seems) vehicles pass by setting off the chime in the house. I thought this too far away and at too much of an angle for this to happen.
My solution that seems to work was to fabricate and install blinders almost like put on horses out of thin aluminum sheet. I mounted it behind the detector and bent a tab on each side to kind of give it tunnel vision.
This has ended that problem.
I have one other detector problem that seems to detect bush movement in the wind. I don't understand why but I may have to do some major pruning for this one.

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

i also agree with BVD, i have had range issues with my sensors as well, I have cut little blocks of wood similiar to a door stop, only smaller. Then with double stick tape i put the wedge on the wall first then the sensor so it tips towards the ground, which has solved my range issues.  Hope this helps, good luck.

catsmtns

removed at posters request
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:37:31 PM »

removed at posters request
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 05:25:51 PM by catsmtns »

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 11:17:44 PM »

Can you mount it on the ceiling pointing at the floor?  When you walk under it, it'll trigger.  I had to do this with one on my front porch.  It would trigger every time a car drove past so I mounted it under the eaves of the porch roof, pointed down at the sidewalk.

I would try what BVD stated....... Angle them towards the ground more. I would be afraid that if you mount them on the roof you would have transmitt issues then. The signal would be shot into space   rofl

I had the same problem with my porch sensors. I think cars would drive by and reflect the sunlight, which would trigger the sensor. So I fabed a mount similar to the one paizano1 is talking about....

NO MORE PROBLEMS !!!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:40:29 AM »

Can you mount it on the ceiling pointing at the floor? 

Yes you can. All but 3 of the 9 ActiveEye Motion Sensors in and around my home are all mounted vertically and point straight down on the area I want detected. There is no issues with the mounting orientations.

However, one suggestion whose origins came from Dave_x10_L, is to use Velcro to mount the sensors (especially hard to reach ones); so that changing batteries is much easier.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.