Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My VR36A Mod  (Read 33630 times)

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
My VR36A Mod
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:37:25 PM »

After fighting with the paddle on the VR36A I decided I want better reception! So I thought about putting a 2.4ghz Router antenna on it and see if it helped. (Have seen al ot of mods using the router antennas) So after some thought and lots of help from Knightrider ( >! Thanks Again) I gave it a go...

Before the mod I couldn't get a picture from all my cameras without moving the paddle around everytime. And lets face it, that's a pain! I tried different channels, tried putting the VR36A in different places, etc. and still the same old story....

After the Mod I am able to pick up every camera with NO problem now and don't have to move the VR36A around for each camera. I thought having the VR36A high would help with reception, in some cases that might be the issue. But for me it's just the opposite! If I put mine on the floor I get the best picture ever (  :( But I can't leave it on the floor). So I placed mine on top of my CPU (which is on the floor) and everything works great  :)%

What I Did:

Went to Radio Shack and bought a twin pack of 2.4ghz router antennas. Then the mod began............

1- First I took the VR36A apart ( 4 screws underneath)

2- I separated the paddle with a little screwdriver.

3- Then I cut the wire that was soldered to the "Flat Panel Antenna" that was in the paddle

Now this is where I had the biggest problem... I couldn't find a matching connector for the antennas I had, so i had to modify them also.

4-I cut the connector off the bottom of the antenna, and disassembled the antenna, unsoldered the wire from the antenna to the connector.

5- I then soldered the antenna wire from the VR36A to the inner antenna of the router.

6- Then I a piece of Shrink Tubing over the connection point (This is the way it was in the router antenna when I took it apart)

7- Then I slid the inner part of the antenna back up in the outer casing of the antenna.

Now the second big task......... With the connector cut off the antenna I had no way to attach the finished antenna to the VR36A....

8- So I got a "Hollow" elbow from Radio Shack and put the wire inside of it.

9- Then I glued the elbow to the top of the VR36A

10- Then glued the bottom of the Antenna to the top of the elbow.

11- Tape in place and let it dry

:)% That's it !! I was done..........
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
Re: My VR36A Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 08:39:21 PM »

Here's the rest of the pictures...........

Hope this might help someone else if they are having the same issues I was.

:' And if I can do this mod ANYONE can do it !!!!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:42:59 PM »

Kramer Chins,

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!! (no emoticon for "Great")

Thank you SO much for sharing both the mods and the results.  Happy that I could help you out in your quest to be helpful to others!!!!!  I'm sure that some one else will benefit from this!!!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 09:22:22 PM »

An excellent mod of a video receivers antenna (<those words added to ease future searches). An awesome and HELPFUL post!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:33:06 PM »

Nice Nice Nice!

Someone mail a router antenna to x10 so they can see what one is.  ::)
It's like they are trying to fall short. It's just baffling. First the CM15a then the DS10 and now this.

Way to beat the system man.
 :)% 
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »

thank you I think in the near future I will be trying a few mods and with you photos and documentation I should not be able to screw it up badly...

BaBaLou.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 11:00:03 PM »

Outstanding work Kramer Chins,,

:)% :)% :)%

and thank you for the help.

xtremchevy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 04:04:10 PM »

Have a question on this... I"m have problems with my VR36A connecting to all the cameras. I did the mod and there was no change. I checked the cable and there was continuity between the feed line (center wire) and the shield. dealing with antenna cables at work I know that this isn't normal. so my Question is; is this normal for this unit?

Thanks for the help!

Michael

WildBill47

• Helpful Post Rating: 18
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 12:13:14 AM »

Great Job and pic's!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 06:32:08 AM »

#:) Thank you for sharing. Many will benefit from you project.

lhntx

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »

I have an extra antenna that I removed from my wireless router that i would like to use, but these instructions aren't really clear to me.  I only see that you mention one wire to you soddered, but arent' there going to be two wires(I assume)?  The antenna that I have also has a coax style screw on base like yours in the photo, and that has two connection points as far as I can tell.  where does the second wire get soddered too??  Excuse my ignorance. I just want to make sure that get this right before I disassemble my vr36a. I also have an old wireless booster that has TWO antennas on the back and I'm thinking about tyring to disassemble those along with their screw in connector and try those.  Thanks for the tips and photos.

Frank3d

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 01:02:44 PM »

Bitman,
Ref: 6 post's ago.
Sometimes I think X10 needs a better interpreter to explain it to the Chinese mfr.........

Icu2

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:39 AM »

Thanx Kramer Chins.   :)%  I just did this mod to my VR42A-Audio/Video Receiver and it works.  The video images are clearer.
"I have learned that no man has the right to look down at another man, unless it's to help him get back on his feet."

BlackBerry Bold 9700

thejackal

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »

Doing this mod now on a vr31a. Thank you for the posts.  :)%  >!

vinrym

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »

B:(

I'm Stumped....i used an antenna from a motorola wireless router, cut the paddle antenna off, soldered the wireless antenna to it and nothing happened: no picture, no reception, nothing.  What did I do wrong?
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.