Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie Here, help with what to order?  (Read 11661 times)

alvarez919

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Newbie Here, help with what to order?
« on: March 14, 2009, 07:04:34 PM »

I have a 1.5 story cape code house, and am lost as what to order for starting out.
I have 3 bedrooms downstairs, nursery, playroom, office, a kitchen and living room, and bath.  Upstairs is two bedrooms and a bath.   I currently have the active home CPU unit with USB, 5 active eagle eyes, three light switch modules, a couple lamp modules and a couple appliance modules. 

What i would like to do for starters..
   I would like when i wake up in the night to have a eagleeye sense motion in the bedroom, dim the light to 40% in the bedroom hall and bathroom.   I am planning on replacing all the light switches in the bedrooms for control of lights in the rooms.  One lamp in the living room i would like control of.  WOuld also like control of the lights from the remote control i received... do i need a wireless receiver? 
also i have an iphone so i want to use an app called ilovecontrol to control the lights...etc through wifi and the phone..

any suggestions for a newbie would be great.. i get lost on the different types of modules to use and when to use each and it seems like there is more than one way to do something.. such as socket rocket to control a light or a switch to control it... but which is better? 
also if you can send me to any links/forum topics to read through
thanks
david k

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Newbie Here, help with what to order?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »

David,
You mentioned you have the active home CPU Unit. I assume that would be the CM15A. Did you get any software with it, such as active home pro and the add-ins My House, Iwatchout, Macros, etc?

One of the first things most people don't think about when starting out is phase coupling. The wiring coming into your home is single phase. You receive 220 Volts between the two Line Wires and 110 Volts between either of the Line Wires and the Ground Wire (Bare One). Most of the things you will be doing with the X10 products involves 110 Volts. But with the X10 signals being sent over the power lines, the signal needs to be able to reach the device. This is where a Line Coupler comes in. This device is usually connected to a 220 Volt 20 amp breaker and permits the X10 signals to reach their destination regardless of which Line Wire the device is connected to. I personally use a X10 XPCR coupler/repeater which couples the Line Wires Signals and also amplifies the signal. This little paragraph will keep you from having to wonder why some of the devices work and some don't work.

Now that we have the coupling issue taken care of I will tell you that besides the coupler you have all the items to do what you initially want to do. Keep in mind that when using lamp modules, dimmer switches, socket rockets, etc you must use incandescent bulbs and keep the current draw between 300 - 500 Watts Max. Appliance modules, WS13A/XPS3 wall switches will handle any type bulb or appliance, at 15Amps or 2500 Watts.

Hope this helps to get you started on the right foot.
Bob

alvarez919

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »

Well thanks for the tips on getting started I appreciate it.  I will pick up the coupler repeater.  I was looking to use the eagle eyes to turn on a light switch and was having trouble writing the macro.  Is there a simple explantion of macros and how to use them.  I understand what they are, but for some reason couldn't get the light to turn on with the eagle eye was activated.. i was a little confused with the eagle eye as it doesn't have a dial to set the code to..??
thanks
dk

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:53:53 PM »

alvarez919 as to what to read look at all the stickies in each section!
These usually include links to helpful info if they don't contain it themselves!
Also check the X10Wiki for information!
 >!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:03:41 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 06:00:34 PM »

Well thanks for the tips on getting started I appreciate it.  I will pick up the coupler repeater.  I was looking to use the eagle eyes to turn on a light switch and was having trouble writing the macro.  Is there a simple explantion of macros and how to use them.  I understand what they are, but for some reason couldn't get the light to turn on with the eagle eye was activated.. i was a little confused with the eagle eye as it doesn't have a dial to set the code to..??
thanks
dk

The Eagle Eyes House and Unit Code Buttons are under the Battery Door. "House Code" Button is on the left and "Unit Code" is on the Right........
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »

The Eagle Eyes House and Unit Code Buttons are under the Battery Door.........

alvarez919 as to what to read look at all the stickies in each section!
These usually include links to helpful info if they don't contain it themselves!
Also check the X10Wiki for information!

Your both right!

I just hope alvarez919 realizes that the X10Wiki link <click here will give him complete (on-line) setup directions for not only the motions sensors... or macro creation... but nearly everything X10.

It's difficult or impossible for any forum member to say "this is how to setup your custom automation". Or to give rock solid advice on what you should purchase. But we are here for you! Keep posting and reading... and let know how you project progresses.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:34:21 PM »

thanks
dk

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ms13a-ms14a-is.pdf

David,
The above link is to the .pdf instruction manual for the Eagle Eye motion detector. It will tell you how to set the house and unit codes to what you want them to be. Setting these detectors is more like setting a watch. The correct buttons must be pressed and in a certain order to get the results you want. I will give you an example of how to set the house code to D. By default the House Code is A and the Unit Code is 1 when you take the unit out of the box and install the batteries. Lets Change the House Code to D.

With the battery cover removed You will note there are two little buttons. One marked ON/House on the left and the other marked OFF/Unit on the right. First let us check and see what House Code is currently set to.

I used a pen for this one. Press the House button and hold it down. You should see a quick series of blinks of the red LED, then a short pause, folowed by 1 blink, then a short pause, then a longer blink of the LED. Release the House button. This tells us that the House Code is currently set to A as the LED only short blinked once then paused and longer blinked indicating the end of the mode.

To set the House Code to D press and hold the House button you will get the quick series of blinks, a short pause, then the one blink. Release the House button and press it 4 times holding it down on the 4Th press. There will be a short pause then the red LED will report with 4 blinks a short pause then the longer blink. Release the House button. The house code is now set to D and since we haven't changed the Unit Code it is still 1.

As for macros I don't know if you know this but in AHP menu bar you will see Add-INs if you click on this it will list MY House, Iwatch out, Smart Macros with little arrows on the right. This will show 2 items Help and About. If you click on Help it will open the Smart Macros Help File. Each of the Add-IN's has its own context sensitive help file. If you view this help and still have problems please make another post.

The people on this forum have more ideas than X10 has modules if you can believe that!

I hope this helps!
Bob

Melloware

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
    • Melloware
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »

also i have an iphone so i want to use an app called ilovecontrol to control the lights...etc through wifi and the phone..

any suggestions for a newbie would be great..

Instead of dropping $99 on ilovecontrol you could get away cheap for your iPhone with X10 Commander.  It's only 10$ and works with your CM15 controller over WIFI or 3G.

http://melloware.com/products/x10commander/
------------------------------------------------
Melloware
Tack Back Control of Your PC!
http://www.melloware.com
------------------------------------------------

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 05:23:14 PM »

anyone know if there's software similar to this for Windows Mobile phones? I have an HTC Fuze, which runs on WM 6.1

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »

You could always use MS Messenger and X10dispatch that's even cheaper (free)!
Or just use X10dispatchers free server you install on you HA PC.
Or look at RealVNC  also has a free version!
 >!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:35:22 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

x10dude

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »

I may be missing something here, but would I use messenger and X10dispatcher? would i leave a messenger session running and connect with another one from the remote machine? or would X10dispatcher be the main mode of connection? BTW, the fuze doesn't with MS Messenger. AT&T pulled it out because they want us to pay for their own service.

As for RealVNC, I'm still looking for windows mobile version. It appears that the RealVNC people only had a beta version, but never released it. Instead, they released an SDK. So, there's no official version for windows mobile at this point.

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »

x10dude,   try this website for the download link for vnc PPC version.
  http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-download-vnc-viewer-for-pocket-pc-v3-3-5-1.html

x10dude

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »

thanks Trol1374!

However, that client seems to be quite old. I'd like to set up the latest RealVNC (4.4) since earlier versions have security holes from what I understand. It's very easy to break into a system with the earlier versions. You can bypass the password. Also, the free version does not include encryption, so it makes that much easier.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.