Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weird CM11 thing going on.  (Read 2990 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Weird CM11 thing going on.
« on: March 05, 2009, 04:43:31 PM »

Hello

Since upgrading to AHP I ended up with a spare CM11 that I thought I might use at my PC shop with x10 Ping
to cycle power on my DSL modem, router and switch that feeds the web mail and file servers when something does down.

Right now I have x10 ping on a windows 2000 file/mail server and the CM11 hooked up to it's serial port.
The CM11 is plugged into a power strip that powers the monitors 1 router and a ups that holds up the two servers. I have no other x10 stuff here not even the appliance module that x10 ping would cycle.

After plugging in the CM11, I began to notice spurious reboots (quick power cycling) of the servers. After this happened twice in a week I unplugged the CM11 and the problem stopped for weeks. Yesterday, the ups powering the servers died altogether so I replaced it. Hoping that the old ups had something to do with the spurious resets, I plugged the cm11 back into the power strip as before. I went to lunch and when I returned the servers had rebooted again. So it is the cm11 somehow but I just don't see how. It's almost as though the CM11 is shorting across the AC but that even seems so unlikely.

????

:ron

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Weird CM11 thing going on.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »

Ron,
So what did your monitor list in X10ping show? Also I am not so sure I would be plugging the UPS into the same power source as the other things. I am thinking the UPS may be seeing the discrepancy in the 60 HZ caused by PLC from the CM11 and flipping into UPS mode and back to Powerline mode. Just a thought.
Also it might be better to plug the UPS into the wall outlet and have a power strip plugged into the output side of the UPS with your devices plugged into it. 
Let me know what you think.

Bob

bitman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 10:16:16 PM »

The x10 ping shows no events at all.
I'll bet your right about the UPS wigging out.

I've shelved the x10 ping idea for the short while. The reason there is no x10 device for the cm11 to talk to is that I found with the dynamically changing interference of a PC repair lab, x10 can be a monster challenge and the modules would work then they wouldn't. Sometimes there can be as many as 4 laptops and 2 desktops running some sort of diagnostic / virus scan at the same time. NOISE city I expect.

I just hate it when I can't get my precious email because ether the dsl modem switch router or all need a power cycle down at the shop where the mail and web severs are. Goodness, x10 ping was going to be so perfect!

BVD

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:51:51 AM »

Ron,
I would like to know a couple of things if it wouldn't be too much trouble. When X10 ping does its thing, what and how does it ping? I am familiar with pinging IP addresses from one computer to other devices on a computer network but when reading about X10 ping I wasn't sure this was what they were talking about. I think what they were saying was X10 pings an IP address and if it gets no response in a perset number of pings it toggles the X10 module off and on to reset the device it is controlling. Is this correct?

The other computers you referred to laptops and desktops causing major noise city, are they under your control? What types of X10 modules were you trying to control? Depending on your answers to these questions, and a little work on your part, I think we can resolve your situation and have you receiving your emails all the time.

My motto is you only fail when you quit trying!

Till Later,
Bob

bitman

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »

Ron,
I would like to know a couple of things if it wouldn't be too much trouble. When X10 ping does its thing, what and how does it ping? I am familiar with pinging IP addresses from one computer to other devices on a computer network but when reading about X10 ping I wasn't sure this was what they were talking about. I think what they were saying was X10 pings an IP address and if it gets no response in a perset number of pings it toggles the X10 module off and on to reset the device it is controlling. Is this correct?

The other computers you referred to laptops and desktops causing major noise city, are they under your control? What types of X10 modules were you trying to control? Depending on your answers to these questions, and a little work on your part, I think we can resolve your situation and have you receiving your emails all the time.

My motto is you only fail when you quit trying!

Till Later,
Bob

Sure,

When you setup x10 ping you tell it what IP to ping, what House and unit code you need to power cycle upon ping failure and some options like how many ping failures to allow before cycling power and how long to wait after doing so before checking for ping replys again.

I told it to ping my mail server's outside or public address, If it cannot then the router or dsl modem need restarting. This happens for various reasons where I live. X10 ping will try 5 times, then turn the H/C off (An appliance controller attached to a power strip the all these goodies are pluged into). Then after a second or so it turns the H/C back on, then it waits sufficient time for the units to come back up before checking again.

It works very well for this. I ran into issues where my appliance controller would not respond to commands from anything as different pc where plugged into AC buss bars along benches in the same room. (The lab). BTW it's a two room office with a small front office area and lab in the back where the servers, dsl stuff and work benches are.

So I punted the idea and am waiting for more enthusiasm before I tackle the problem.

The computers I have in my lab are dropped off by customers with virus/slowness issues mostly and the occasional bad power supply or motherboard. They come and go all day and God willing, every day.

I could get a bunch of filters but it is a Mom and Pop shop and my wife is a tech too and I don't really want to put the pressure on her to keep my x10 "hobby" happy. Tech or not, she shruges at new x10 deployments until she relys on it.  And she will, she will. :P

Chasing the interference bunny down rabbit holes is no fun and expensive. I just had a taste of it at home and more or less have it under control at least.

:Ron

« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:50:24 PM by bitman »

BVD

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »

Ron,

Give this a look over and see if it might work for you. I am still sketching the other part for the servers!

Till Later,
Bob

bitman

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »

Wow! That's going above and beyond!

Thank you.
BTW, there are 3 benches with one AC buss bar per bench. But I would hope that we don't pull more than 20 amps!
Never know. Never smelled anything hot. yet.  ;D

Also today I found a serial extension cable and moved the CM15 to it's own wall outlet just to see if the servers would resume their spurious restarts if I plugged it in somewhere. No restarts all afternoon. As a matter of fact I had forgotten I had done that today so I would say so far so good. By Monday, I should know.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:26:51 PM by bitman »

BVD

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 10:40:39 PM »

Ron,
Here is the way I picture UPS and reset circuits. I just used A House Code for this example but I would keep them the same which ever House Code you use. The filter in this circuit keeps the UPS from being a big signal sucker. See what you think and let me know.

Till Later,
Bob

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.