Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Many Questions for total Newbie  (Read 1781 times)

rolyasm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Many Questions for total Newbie
« on: March 22, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »

Hi All.  Brand new to this.  I was really contemplating using a Lutron-type system for my Home theater but am now considering X10.  Some questions.  1) How is the quality of X10 compared to other general brands?  2) Can I use a Logitech Harmony or Univerasal type remote to control X10? 3) What would you say the 2 biggest pro's and con's are for X10? (apart from cost)  4) How is the customer service ? 5)The site seems a little difficult to find what I need.  For my home theater I really only need 3 dimmers.  The rest of my system will be controlled by a RF/IR combination.  Is there a part number I can search for?
Thanks for the assistance. 
Roly

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Many Questions for total Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »

#1. and #3. What do you mean by "other brands"? Other brands that still use X10 PLC protocol? (X10, Smarthome, PCS,etc).  X10 is the least expensive remote control/automation equipment available. The actual quality of the hardware itself is not bad, but you get what you pay for. "Out of box" quality" is good. "System quality" is debatable for the following reasons

The X10 protocol is 30 years old and is showing age. It is easily thwarted by electrical noise in your home generated by switching powersupplies (AKA "power bricks", cell phone chargers, iPod chargers, etc) but this can be overcome. It needs help passing across both electrical phases present in your home, this also can be overcome. Certain UPS systems and surge protectors "suck the signal", and this also can be overcome.

You begin by stating you are considering a Lutron System or an X10 system. Gee whiz, this is like saying "I'm thinking about a Lexus or a KIA...which should I get?"

If you can afford Lu tron, then get it. X10 is cheap, cheap, cheap, and can be setup by the consumer. and basically Lu tron is not, and can't.

If you decide on X10, plan a XTB IIR or ACT 234 coupler/amp for your system. Also plan on spending a few hours to a few days troubleshooting noise and coupling problems when you first setup system. Search this forum for "noise", "phase coupling", "signal suckers" and "repeaters" before buying.

2. Certain remotes can control X10, either through IR (remote must be pointed at a special receiver) or RF where the remote can control X10 from anywhere in house. Maybe another forum participant can be more specific on the Harmony. Did you check the Logitech web site? X10 is working on a new "universal" remote that will control X10 modules by RF, and your electronics by IR. The remote will have an extensive library built in. You still need a "transceiver" to translate the RF signal for X10 modules into a PLC signal.

5. Yeah, no kidding. Take a look at "Lamp Modules" Wall Switches" and "Appliance Modules" on X10.com. If you want the ability to do scenes, then look at the CM15A and AHP automation software. The CM15A will also act as a transceiver. Also look at Smarthome.com offerings.

4. Just like everyone else's customer service;  "it's great" or "it sucks".  Depends on who you talk to in CS and how well you describe your problem to CS.

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.