Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about AHP and cameras  (Read 3845 times)

kevman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Question about AHP and cameras
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:36:21 PM »

Hello to all.

I have been using x-10 for security (ds7000) for about two years now successfully and have recently (2 months) have been using AHP with on-alert semi successfully with the extensive knowledge found on this forum.  >!

My system is as follows:

1-ps561
1-powerhorn
2-lamp modules
10-ds10
2-ms10
1-cm15(no range issues(anymore) thanks to posts read here "no mods")
AHP with all the downloads

My question is I would like to add some cameras and would like a little info:

1. Can AHP handle multiple WIRED cameras?
2. If 1 is no how secure are the wireless cameras?(could you scan for the signal)
3. How many cameras can AHP record at the same time?

I talked to a sales person and wasn't real comfortable with the answers I was getting and I know here I can get answers from people that actually use what they are talking about.

Any help would be appreciated and once again thank you to all who reply.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Question about AHP and cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:51:09 PM »

Welcome to the forum kevman.

AHP can use wired cameras. AHP really doesn't know or care about the difference between the wireless & wired. It controls both with PLC signals. If you are using the VA11A or VA12A for video input, you just need to join all cameras together at this input; Y-Adapters work well.

When using X10 hardware & software, only one camera at a time can (should) be on and you only record that one active camera. To do multiple viewing and recording you would require different equipment.

kevman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:04:55 PM »

Thanks Puck :angel:,

From what I know about X-10 I would need to add a lamp or appliance module to each camera to turn them on and? have a different address for each of the wired cameras!! correct?  If I went wireless would it just record when there was motion on AHP or would I need addt'l software?  And if I went wireless what about scanning frequency?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 01:52:55 AM »

X10 cameras come with an addressable power supply. They each would need to be set to their own address.

If you use motion sensors, then you can turn on a specific camera and start recording. If you have AHP with iWatchout & Smart Macros then you have more control over what you want to happen.

You don't need wireless cameras to scan; like I said, AHP doesn't care. You can set the cameras and the scan rate within AHP if you choose, or just let them activate based on motion detectors.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 12:47:29 AM »

Kevman:

You might want to keep in mind, however, that the VA12a driver is actually very buggy. I personally had to uninstall all my X10 cameras from my configuration since the driver hangs Windows and, because it's at such a low level in the system, I have to reboot Windows to get AHP to work again.

Also, remember that the more video activity you have in the system, the more CPU and RAM you will need to deal with it. It seems, however, that AHP does NOT release that memory. I assume it's probably a memory leak in the driver, which eventually kills Windows' resources. I used a 2Gig RAM duo core 2ghz machine with XP pro and it wasn't enough for AHP to run for more than a day or two before it died.

I gave up using the VA12a all together along with all the X10 cameras I had purchased. Instead, I went to a 16-camera dedicated DVR, which I can access remotely, get emails/text messages from, and capture images that get sent to my email.

I also gave up using the latest version of AHP because it, too, is very buggy. I went back 3.228 and no video and now, my machine stays up 24/7.

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »

were can I get AHP 3.228 looked does x10 have a older versions for download. I just got mine a few weeks ago and it came with the newer version.

thanks

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum kevman...
Ditto on the welcome to the forum.

...AHP really doesn't know or care about the difference between the wireless & wired. It controls both with PLC signals....
The Sentinel is controlled with RF signals from the CM15A via AHP or a remote. It doesn't have any ability to respond to PLC signals.
Also sending an RF off signal to a Sentinel only turns off it's wireless wireless video feed and control functions (movement, zoom, ect.).
Unless power is physically removed from the Sentinel, it is always sending a wired video feed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:29:01 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 02:19:44 PM »

astrothug - check this thread out: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17686.0. That's what I did and it worked for me.

DO NOT FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR CONFIGURATION FILES THOUGH - especially if you've already configured your system. Otherwise, you'll need to reinstall everything into AHP - especially the security modules since the version you need to go back to first didn't have support for on-alert add-on.

here's a thread on backing up your data: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17018.0

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.