Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Log Me In & My House  (Read 37863 times)

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Log Me In & My House
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 01:51:24 AM »

Unfortunately, P2P is usually associated with illegal downloads (bittorrent, etc.). However, there are legitimate uses of P2P such as in this case that don't require that the protocol be blocked from a corporate network. As more web services move to P2P-like services, I'm sure things will change.

That's one of the reasons why I have unlimited internet on my cell phone, which I can share to my laptop and have it connect at 3G speed or simply use LogMeIn directly from my cell phone (win mobile 6.1) to check on things at home.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »

......... I'm sure things will change.

Everything will most certainly continue to change. There has never been anything static about Internet (or any) technology. If there is ever a hardcast solution to these remote - from work - connections it may be years down the line.

x10dude I think you've found [and are using] the best potential for HA integration... with the Web enabled cell phone.

Just the other day I had left the house (and not armed the alarm) and thought to myself... it's just plain silly that I can't call home and do that from my cell phone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

crowntown

• Helpful Post Rating: -5
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »

There's currently several ways to run Hamachi (free from Logmein) on a flashdrive.  Since it's connecting through you VPN IP instead of the logmein url, there's a good chance it's not blocked by IT.

Or you could try another thing.  If you're running Hamachi on your server at home, you don't even need to run Hamachi or Logmein on the client.  You can use VNC (I recommend TightVNC for Windows) and just VNC using the VPN ip.  I've even able to remote in with a PSP gameplayer using a homebrew VNC.  You still benefit from all the encryption Logmein Hamachi provides and in most cases it'll be a direct connection.

I call home and arm/disarm/bypass, etc my Honeywell/Ademco Vista alarm panel with phone module.  By adding the Honeywell 1361x10 transformer, the panel will also allow you to over the phone send whatever x10 commands you have programmed in.  In addition it'll execute x10 commands on alarm panel events.

Nate2

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 10:11:46 PM »

Maybe some one here could address any security concerns you might have because as Tuicemen stated: "It allows one Full Control of your PC".

My guess, worst case scenario:

If someone breaks into your MyHouse Online server account, they could mess around with your x10 settings/environment.
If someone breaks into your logmein account, they could steal any data you have on your hard disk, mess up your PC/network, etc.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.