Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux  (Read 95644 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: Ubuntu Linux
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 10:32:11 AM »

Take a look at Heyu - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X  http://www.heyu.org

OK I will, thanks!

Brandt

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »

I'm a successful linux / heyu user also if you guys need any extra assistance...

pconroy

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »

Now I just have to figure out how to be able to turn x10 modules on/off on this setup, and I'll be able to use this remotely over the internet. I'm thinking that maybe a firecracker would be easiest?  8)

P.S. it's interesting to note that the tvtuner card was advertised as compatible with windows xp but not linux, and I could not get it to work properly on xp, but have it working beautifully on linux!  rofl

I've had the same experience - some of the legacy hardware that no longer has Windows support now just *worjks* under Linux!  I've been amazed at what I've been able to plug in.
Old webcams, an old Hauppauge TV Tuner card, USB devices - they all just work!  :)

If you're into programming - I've just started goofing with the "OpenCV" library, with an eye on writing very simple image capture code.  The OpenCV library is amazing.  A program to capture and display images from a video device was about 12 lines of code!

For controlling modules, Chas Sullivan's HeyU is great.
There are also five or six other ways to control modules on Linux.

But -- I believe that Linux support for the CM15A is still under development.  I *think* I saw a recent post saying that they had all of the basic interactions figured out but there was still some USB traffic that hadn't been reverse engineered!

But if, like me, you have an older CP290, CM11A or CM17 - i think you'll find complete solutions ready-to-load and go under Linux.

pconroy

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 05:11:55 PM »

I'm a successful linux / heyu user also if you guys need any extra assistance...

Pom - I *just* tried this morning to get heyu 2.8 up and going on Ubuntu 9.1
And am running into a problem.

Things I'm noticing
1) The CM11A is on ttyS3 and there's a getty on that too.  How necessary is it to remove the getty?
2) heyu_relay won't seem to stay running.  Over dozens of "heyu start/restart/info" attempts - I've had two daemons running a couple of times, `ps` showing one "heyu_relay t" most of the times, but then every heyu command causes a "starting heyu relay" message, as if it's NOT running

I'm pretty sure the CM11A is on ttyS3 -- I know it's not ttyS1 because the weather station is there.

Intetesting -- if I try ttyS1 or ttyS2, I do NOT get the repeated "heyu relay starting" messages, but I do get the expected error "received 0 bytes instead of 14" messages.

I'm kinda stumped...
I'm gonna edit init, remove the getty and reboot when I get home.

Other than that - I'm scracthing my haid!   ???
thanks!

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »

pconroy:
Pull up man page heyu(1) and follow the procedure in section HEYU CLEANUP down near the end.

When you changed the serial port to /dev/ttyS1, I assume you edited the TTY directive in your Heyu config file to match.

BTW, I assume you know that the serial port is /dev/ttyS1 and not /dev/ttys1.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 06:56:43 PM by Charles Sullivan »
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 12:00:49 AM »

Most everything in linux is case sensitive (/dev/ttyS1 vs /dev/ttys1).  The more you use it the more you watch for it.  Windows for the most part doesn't care.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

pconroy

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:29 PM »

pconroy:
Pull up man page heyu(1) and follow the procedure in section HEYU CLEANUP down near the end.

When you changed the serial port to /dev/ttyS1, I assume you edited the TTY directive in your Heyu config file to match.

BTW, I assume you know that the serial port is /dev/ttyS1 and not /dev/ttys1.

Thanks Charles - I've joined the Yahoo group and have followed the cleanup instructions as they mentioned there.
No help.

Yeah - sorry for the typo, I know it's /dev/ttyS3.  :)
I ran gdb last night, and I too am dying in the tcgetattr() call.

I looked at my WS2308 and X10 Controller code and I see tcgetattr() commented out, and replaced with a memset() call.
I can't recall why I may have done that...
 ???

And - it could be the port - this port, COM4, ttyS3, is a Cardbus card with a DB-9 serial port - I suppose it could be configured weirdly by Ubuntu.
It's not a native, on the motherboard, with a real UART type of port!

Now -- I know the card is OK - as it worked ok with that X10 Code running under Cygwin.

What I'll do is slide the CM11A over to ttyS0, which is the native com port on the machine.
If that works - then I'll know there's something funky with the Cardbus RS232 port.

And if it works - I'm golden, since I can move my weather station code to ttyS3, since I don't call tcgetattr().

thanks guys.
I'll do some debugging and report back.
Maybe there's a lesson to learn buried deep in here.

Maybe... ;D
patrick

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 09:31:22 PM »

<snip>
I looked at my WS2308 and X10 Controller code and I see tcgetattr() commented out, and replaced with a memset() call.
I can't recall why I may have done that...
 ???
  <snip

Patrick,
Uh, oh!  Heyu uses tcgetattr()  (in modules tty.c and tty_aux.c).   I'm guessing your mod is likely the cause of the problem.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

pconroy

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »

I mod'd my code - not the heyu code...

But I found the culprit - it's that Cardbus/RS232 card.
Once I moved heyu over to the native COM port everything worked as expected.

Now I have to debug why that silly card works under Windows but not Linux.
I'll bet dimes to donuts, I find anuuder darned Prolific chip in there.    B:(

Thanks for the support!

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 08:45:17 AM »

I mod'd my code - not the heyu code...

But I found the culprit - it's that Cardbus/RS232 card.
Once I moved heyu over to the native COM port everything worked as expected.

Now I have to debug why that silly card works under Windows but not Linux.
I'll bet dimes to donuts, I find anuuder darned Prolific chip in there.    B:(

Thanks for the support!

The card probably requires a proprietary driver.   Your life would be simplified by spending the bucks for a decent two-port serial card which has both Windows and Linux support.  Byterunner (http://www.byterunner.com) provides detailed support information about the cards they sell.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

birdzeye

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »

Take a look at Heyu - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X  http://www.heyu.org

I downloaded HeyU and was wondering if someone could help me to install it? :'

It's extracted to a folder on my desktop, so I opened a terminal and typed: cd ~/Desktop, and now I should type???what??  :-[

BTW should I have the dongle/adapter installed first before I install the program or does it matter? (I haven't actually got one yet because I can't decide between the cm17a or the cm19a and have no idea of where to even find a cm11a!!)

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 10:21:03 PM »

birdzeye:
While in your Desktop directory, unpack the file you downloaded (which is probably heyu-2.8.0.tgz) with
   tar -zxf  heyu-2.8.0.tgz
then
   cd  heyu-2.8.0

and read the file named "INSTALL" with
   less  INSTALL

and follow the instructions therein for Ubuntu Linux.

Of the CM17A and CM19A, only the CM17A is supported by Heyu, and there's no way for _any_ software to detect the presence of a CM17A other than nothing happens if you send it a command and it's not attached.  The CM17A is only an RF transmitter and has no receiving capability, so you'll need a transceiver like a TM751 or RR501 to convert the RF to a powerline command to actuate your X10 modules.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

birdzeye

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 07:43:02 AM »

birdzeye:
While in your Desktop directory, unpack the file you downloaded (which is probably heyu-2.8.0.tgz) with
   tar -zxf  heyu-2.8.0.tgz
then
   cd  heyu-2.8.0

less  INSTALL

Of the CM17A and CM19A, only the CM17A is supported by Heyu, and there's no way for _any_ software to detect the presence of a CM17A other than nothing happens if you send it a command and it's not attached.  The CM17A is only an RF transmitter and has no receiving capability, so you'll need a transceiver like a TM751 or RR501 to convert the RF to a powerline command to actuate your X10 modules.

OK thanks I got it installed. Does this always have to be started from the terminal, or is there a program icon or entry in the start menu to start a program interface?

About the CM19A, I read on another thread here on x10 forums that had a link to lemay's driver for it. Won't that work with HeyU?

Charles Sullivan

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »

birdzeye:
   tar -zxf  heyu-2.8.0.tgz
then
   cd  heyu-2.8.0

less  INSTALL

OK thanks I got it installed. Does this always have to be started from the terminal, or is there a program icon or entry in the start menu to start a program interface?

Yes, you can easily have Heyu start automatically at boot time.  However since you are evidently new to Linux and Ubuntu, I'd prefer you join and ask this question on the heyu_users forum where Ubuntu users (I'm not) can give you detailed guidance about things like paths and permissions which may be unique to Ubuntu.

About the CM19A, I read on another thread here on x10 forums that had a link to lemay's driver for it. Won't that work with HeyU?

Michael Lemay's driver doesn't have the flexibility to make it useful for inclusion in Heyu.  It supports simple X10 commands from the command line and given your proposed hardware acquisition you may want to consider using it by itself in place of Heyu.

A couple of programs for the CM17A (only) which are a lot simpler than Heyu and may meet your needs are "Bottle Rocket" and "Flipit".
Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »

You don't need to start Heyu with your computer, anytime you send a command it'll first check if Heyu is running and if not, it'll start it by itself. So basically even if it's not running and you send a command, it'll start it, then process your command.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.