Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AHP / CM15A & HomeZIX  (Read 8072 times)

WildBill47

• Helpful Post Rating: 18
AHP / CM15A & HomeZIX
« on: April 04, 2009, 11:16:27 AM »

Given what I consider some, well lets say limitations with Smart Macro's, I am thinking about getting HomeZIX, it says it talks to the CM15A, my question is has anyone done this? Do you know if the USB driver that will have to come with HomeZIX will interfere with the USB CM15A driver that comes with AHP.

I would love to do my macro;s in C# a language that actually has a real manual and one I have used before but it will be pointless if it messes up my AHP, CM15A, and/or the ability for both to download to the CM15A without stepping on each other.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: AHP / CM15A & HomeZIX
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:09:42 PM »

Bill,
Why not try downloading the SDK for the CM15A?  It's how everyone else is doing third party software (including myself).  C++ Macros will be a breeze from there.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

WildBill47

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:26:02 PM »

Do they D/L to the CM15A?

If so I will go that route, thanks. Is the SDK free?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »

Here is the link to the AHP SDK web page.
I believe all you have to do is fill in a few boxes on the page to get it.

http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/sdk/index.html

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 03:25:51 AM »

If so I will go that route, thanks. Is the SDK free?

The SDK is free.

No, it doesn't allow for downloading to the CM15A, unfortunately!   >*<
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 12:08:02 PM »

No, it doesn't allow for downloading to the CM15A, unfortunately! 

I didn't want to reply.. too early here.... so as to give the programmers time to post first.

But as a user I think it's important to realize that no matter how nice or fancy any software package gets... the ONLY way to download to the CM15A interface... is with the AHP software suppied by X10.

Whereas it seems popular to post demeaning remarks about software... Microsoft and AHP are required to fully use the CM15A.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

WildBill47

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »

No, it doesn't allow for downloading to the CM15A, unfortunately! 

I didn't want to reply.. too early here.... so as to give the programmers time to post first.

But as a user I think it's important to realize that no matter how nice or fancy any software package gets... the ONLY way to download to the CM15A interface... is with the AHP software suppied by X10.

Whereas it seems popular to post demeaning remarks about software... Microsoft and AHP are required to fully use the CM15A.

Wait a sec here, the SDK is supplied by X-10, that was a fair question I asked :)

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »

Wait a sec here, the SDK is supplied by X-10, that was a fair question I asked.

Oh yeah! Not only a fair question... but a reasonable expectation too. That is why I posted what/as I did... so later it will show up on any searches about the software and the SDK.

WildBill47

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

Well that is a bummer, I wonder how anyone who write these progs I have have seem posted about gets them in to the 15A? I am not doubting you in the least but either they are all running a PC 24x7 and are talking to AHP that is talking to the 15A or there is another trick, this getting in to AHP and then letting AHP get the needed things in to the 15A.

The HomeZIX software says it talks tothe to the CM15A also, I wonder what they really mean? I guess they could be running AHP in the middle to run interference for them....

Wonder if any of hte programmers here would care to expand on this topic, specific to the CM15A.

Thanks for your comments so far...

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »

Well that is a bummer, I wonder how anyone who write these progs I have have seem posted about gets them in to the 15A? I am not doubting you in the least but either they are all running a PC 24x7 and are talking to AHP that is talking to the 15A or there is another trick, this getting in to AHP and then letting AHP get the needed things in to the 15A.

The HomeZIX software says it talks tothe to the CM15A also, I wonder what they really mean? I guess they could be running AHP in the middle to run interference for them....

Wonder if any of hte programmers here would care to expand on this topic, specific to the CM15A.

Thanks for your comments so far...

Write to the publisher of HomeZIX with your questions.  Email: contact@automationvista.com

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

WildBill47

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »

Thanks I did, no answer yet but it was on a weekend, but even after they answer would much rather hear it from an X-10 guru then a vendor with a vested intererst.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:32 AM »

Talk to and write to are totally different!
Most thirdparty software relies on the end user to run their Software on a PC running 24/7
Many of the thirdparty software add things that AHP can't do like sound.
Since you are familiar with C++ the SDK is the route to go!
You'd still need to run your app on the PC 24/7 but you wouldn't need AHP running.
The SDK uses the X10 DLLs to talk to the CM15A directly AHP isn't needed.
There are some programs out that use USBLib to talk to the CM15A but even these can't download to it (Yet that I've heard of)!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »

Well that is a bummer,.... either they are all running a PC 24x7 and are talking to AHP that is talking to the 15A or there is another trick

I understand your thought process!

For a large part of the population (as well as HA users) having to run a computer 24/7 to control your home can seem... like overkill. There isn't anything new about timers and light sensors for turning on and off lights and that doesn't require a computer. Its handy to be able to program that into a interface... instead of individual devices.. but that is hardly an advanced function.

At this point in time we really need a decent sized processor to get good, solid, advanced HA. I can't say there isn't any devices out there [short of a computer] that will do this... but I haven't tested any. 

I myself run [the third party software] BVC on a HA PC... which has run 24/7 for over two years. The latest greatest of what can be done with home automation is expressed in the third party softwares. Although even without a computer I still have decent automation... it's a mere shadow of the setup with a running computer. I am convinced... these computer thingys have caught on. Many of us intergrate available Internet information into our HA using PC's and third party software like weather forecasts using WeatherAloud or PCC. And.. I haven't even mentioned viewing cameras and controlling lights over the Internet... which X10 is famous for.

I think if all a user really needs or wants from HA is to turn a light on or off from across the room... then a clapper can be good HA. Although it may be lowercase ha. But.. IMHO Home Automation is by nature cutting edge. And a HA PC (turned ON, and running) is very much a part of HA.

There are of course less digital means of Home Automation.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 03:20:45 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »

mini Linux PC
(I can't say there isn't any devices out there [short of a computer] that will do this... but I haven't tested any.)

Yep... I thought (was thinking) of that, as well as a interface made by ELK... both of which I have never actually used. Both of which don't appeal to me [only] partly because of the operating system. Whereas I am sure there must be many reasons to want an alternate OS... FOR ME...having an interest in HA isn't one of them.

I have been extremely interested in the NetBooks. They can access (and be accessed) via the Internet, as well as run the vast amounts of softwares that depend on a Windows OS.

I think as processor speeds get faster and flash memory continues to get better and cheaper. Windows CE sized devices may be able to replace desktop PC's for HA devices soon. I can easily envision a PDA type device [or more likely] PDA/Phone device replacing that old P3 XP (saved from the trash) machine I use now. Home Automation... even with Voice Command/Control isn't a heavy hitter of processor speed.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:32:00 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.