Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not able to dim via RF command  (Read 6934 times)

JJtech

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Not able to dim via RF command
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »

I am "short-circuiting" the need for a phase coupler on the panel by sending commands via RF from the CM15a to the TM751.

I cannot for the life of me get a LM465 to dim via this architectural approach described above.  The whole macro executed from my PC is one RF dim command to unit 9 on house B.  I have varied the unit and house code, different circuits, different commands etc. with no luck.  Most of the time, the light dims to OFF even when saying brighten to 96%.  (I have tested the equipment on the same circuit with the same house code and the reconfigured macro does dim as it should.)

Suggestions?

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Not able to dim via RF command
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »

What are you using to trigger the macro? In the RF Dim/Brighten have you clicked set absolute and moved the slider to the value you want?

Macro Name      Trigger        Module(s)          Action
New Macro 1     B9 On         (B9)                 (RF Command) Brighten then dim to 75%

This is what I think might work. Let me know.

Till Later,
Bob

JJtech

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 12:16:45 AM »

Thanks Bob.

I have K10 as a trigger but I am triggering it via clicking on the macro on the PC/GUI interface.

I have tried every combination I can think of.  First on, next command dim with a absolute, dim command alone with all 3 choices (absolute, dim, brighten).

Are you saying to use 2 RF dim commands, one to brighten to maybe 90% then another to dim absolute to 65%?

JJ

BVD

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »

JJ,
Do you have an electric range or an electric dryer. If so turn on the oven or dryer in a heat cycle and try your macros again. That will by proxy be coupling the phases and if your macro works you will know it is a phase coupling issue. I realize that you are sending RF and one would think that it wouldn't matter but the LM467 is little funny in how it operates since they have Incorporated the ability to turn the lamp on/off with the switch on the lamp even though the module is not activated. Also you might want to go to tools, configuration, and uncheck the B box so the CM15A won't transceive that house code onto the power line.
Let me know how you make out.

Till Later,
Bob

JJtech

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:49:10 PM »

Hi Bob,

I don't have a range or dryer but I think I have "figured" it out.

I put the TM751 and the LM465 on the same extention cord and plugged it into different circuits (different phase from my "main" controllers).  It responds differently on each circuit.

Whatever RF command I use to turn the light on or dim it, it almost always turns on and off.  Sometimes it will dim to off, other times it won't dim at all.

If it is going to dim, it evens seems like it dims to a different level depending on which plug I plug the extention cord into.

I am guessing I have to live with this unless I buy some expensive equipment and balance each plug?

I took your advice about the house code and made it a "specific."  Maybe that helped.  Is that it's only function?  To send or not to send out signals over the line?  What does "monitored house code" do?

I am going to make a posting to see if anyone has a workaround for AHP not working with Windows Media Center.  Let me know what you think on that.

Thanks again Bob,

JJ

JJtech

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Tell me, did I find a bug or am I just too much of a NEWBIE???

After 100s of different combinations/iterations I stumbled on the answer.

I knew that executing a macro by clicking on the icon would by pass the trigger and timer but what I discovered is that IT ALSO AFFECTS the execution of the RF dim command badly (dims to off or stays 100% on).

If you let it execute via the trigger or timer (didn't test the timer but think that would work as well) IT WORKS!!!!

There's a 100 hours I will never get back!!!

Is this a known bug?

I am posting this under the "Software Problems & Bugs" but also wanted to says something here for those that were following this topic.

Thanks to those that helped me!

JJ
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:05:07 PM by JJtech »

BVD

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:17:33 PM »

JJ,
Glad to hear it is now working. I am sorry I haven't had time to get back with you and I realize now that I misread the post where you were talking about using K10 for the trigger for the macro, and you were clicking on the macro to get it to work. I assumed (something one should never do) you had something set to K10 and you were clicking on it to cause the macro to run. Had you have had something set to address K10 in the room a phantom switch or something and you clicked on it's icon to trigger the macro it should have worked but not by clicking directly on the macro icon. Sorry I didn't catch that the first time around or we might have saved you 50 hours.

Till Later,
Bob

JJtech

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:21:32 PM »

Hey Bob,

So is it common knowledge that a RF dim command will not function properly if you click the macro icon?  I could not find anything that said you could not do it that way.

JJ

BVD

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »

JJ,

I found this article by Boiler that may help you understand a little better some of the bumps you may encounter on the X10 road to success. Most of the problems are due to the "improved operation" ideas X10 came up with and never revised the software to take care of the new modes of operation. Bottom line is you  may want to identify your LM465 as a LM14A if you encounter any further problems. Sorry for the long post but I think it will be worth your reading time.

Till Later,
Bob

Soft-Start Dimmer Problems -PLEASE READ FIRST

Re: Can Macros Dim?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:50:17 PM by BVD »

JJtech

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »

Thanks Bob.

I read part of that before but I don't think I have any "new" lamp mods.  All mine are most likely purchased prior to 07.  I even have ones that Stanley put out under the X10 license.

I think I have the dim resolved via "not clicking on the macro icon."

Now I am wrestling with the "else" within macros.

Who is the best macro person on the site?

In all my years of programming, I have never seen such a sloppy software package with little to no support (other than this forum of course) and documentation!

Have a good day Bob.

JJ

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 11:29:14 AM »

BVD: In you post above, I removed the cut-n-paste from Boiler's post that you referenced and replaced them with the links.

When referring to another post, it's better to provide the link instead of pasting a copy.

1) If the originator eventually changes/corrects something, the cut-n-paste would then be incorrect.

2) If the work/effort provided by the originator is a Helpful post, the members reading the information should be on the originator's post so that if they wish, they give the Helpful karma to the correct person.

>!

P.S. If you are not familiar with creating a link, simple click on the modify button in your post above and then you can see the correct syntax required.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »

JJtech: Using "elses" with macros is not always executed in a logical manner as one might be familiar with in writing software code.

From my experiences, there are 2 things to keep in mind when using "elses" to ensure reliable (and predictable) execution:

1) Never start a macro with a delay (this only applies when two or more macros are joined with an "else")

2) Make each macro's condition(s) mutually exclusive. Look at all the conditions for each macro in the "else" string and make sure no condition can exist that will cause more than one of the macros to execute.

The software bug that cause multiple macro executions (#2 above) can also be useful.  ;)

JJtech

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »

Update:

I found another problem (not the solution yet) with the RF dim command not working.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I don't know if my TM751 is faulty or if it is a phase issue or noise.  During the day (when I would think that no one in the building is using the dryer or stove) it seems to dim properly.  More times at night, it dims to OFF.

Any guesses guys?   -:)

One line macro attached via jpeg.

I have tried alllll sorts of combinations, i.e., absolute/dim/brighten, off then all of those, different levels, modules, plugs, etc.  The RF on/off works virtually every time.

By the way, I retested the "click icon" and that is still consistently a buy.  It does not work to click the macro icon.

Since I am a newbie, is there a place where bugs that are confirmed by members that know what they are doing are listed in a concise, orderly and easy to find manner, i.e., not with 100 posts.  Just something like..

BUGS
Else: Can not have a flag test as a condition and change the flag in the first line of the macro.  Then maybe a Link to posts/discussion.

I know I have seen the bug section but from what I remember, it is difficult to find things.  If there isn't something like this, could we start it and copy X10 on it (if that would do any good)?

Thanks Puck.

PS Puck resolved a "else" issue for me that was driving me up a wall!  You can find that post at: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17968.0

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 12:54:40 PM »

During the day (when I would think that no one in the building is using the dryer or stove) it seems to dim properly.  More times at night, it dims to OFF.

Any guesses guys?   -:)

Is this a function of the "Resume DIM" feature? Are you doing a Relative DIM or an Absolute DIM?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JJtech

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 01:13:11 PM »

I don't think so Dave.  All my light mods are older than the 2007 modification.  I have tried every combination of absolute and dim and brighten but no command like resume dim.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.