Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shot my motion sensor with a blow gun dart (antenna mod)  (Read 32835 times)

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Shot my motion sensor with a blow gun dart (antenna mod)
« on: April 09, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »

This is what I did.  I opened the ms14 up. Laid a 4 inch blow dart next to the casing on top on PCB board and made sure the tip was under the white end of the coil antenna.

Then I took the lid of the motion sensor and measured 1/4 inch from the back and made a mark on the top of it.

I then measured 1 and 3/16 inch from the center on the top of the lid towards the left (basically where the new antenna would go if you put the lid back on).

I then took my handy dremel and routered out a slot so the antenna would let the lid fit back on.

Make sure the dart antenna is in the same position after you put the lid back on! (you could hot glue it in place)

Then hot glue the top to seal.  Have a couple of pictures but they didn't come out very well.  But I think you can tell what there telling you to do.

With this little mod i went down the my driveway, down the street, and down to the creek! 

But be advised I do have the V572 receiver and am not using the cm15 for receiving!  I did try it with the cm15 though and received pretty good results even with it.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:04:50 PM by hawk1 »
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Shot my motion sensor with a blow gun dart (antenna mod)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »

....Laid a 4 inch blow dart next to the casing

I don't understand the "blow dart" reference... but I really like antenna mods. You get a helpful from me.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »

Fascinating !  This is one I will have to try.............very helpful.

hawk1

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »

Thanks! JMac.  Thanks Dave_x10_l! The reference to the blow gun is I used a blow dart from a blow dart gun as the antenna!  You could probably use a simple piece of wire but the blow dart is pretty stiff and had the cute little yellow cap on it!  Hence if you look at it, it looks like I shot my motion sensor through the top with the blow gun!

The blow gun darts are pretty cheap, you can pick them up at most flea markets.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:06:52 AM by hawk1 »

WildBill47

• Helpful Post Rating: 18
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:56:42 AM »

This is what I did.  I opened the ms14 up. Laid a 4 inch blow dart next to the casing on top on PCB board and made sure the tip was under the white end of the coil antenna.

With this little mod i went down the my driveway, down the street, and down to the creek! 

But be advised I do have the V572 receiver and am not using the cm15 for receiving!  I did try it with the cm15 though and received pretty good results even with it.

Thanks, I just did a similar mod to and MS10A that is far  away from my DS7000 and does not always reset, odd that it always trips but sometimes does not reset, leaving me with that ole, zone on, ding-ding-ding-ding.... when I try to Alarm Away. I have only tested it a dozen or so times so far to see how if it helped and so far 100%.

That would be a "Helpful" from me as soon as I figure out how to give one, so for now it is marked Thumbs Up!

Again, Thanks   #:)

hawk1

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »

Thanks WildBill47!  If anybody does this mod please report back here and let me know how it went!

WildBill47, the helpful post setting is right underneath the users name of the left, not so much for me but for anybody that wants to give a helpful to anyone!  This is just a very simple mod.  I do have another motion sensor mod I will probably post here.

The next mod I will post is one that has already been done with cutting the dusk/dawn sensor.  Actually just the way WildBill47 did, but this is for people that don't know how to solder.

WildBill47

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »

Thanks WildBill47!  If anybody does this mod please report back here and let me know how it went!

WildBill47, the helpful post setting is right underneath the users name of the left, not so much for me but for anybody that wants to give a helpful to anyone!  This is just a very simple mod.  I do have another motion sensor mod I will probably post here.

The next mod I will post is one that has already been done with cutting the dusk/dawn sensor.  Actually just the way WildBill47 did, but this is for people that don't know how to solder.

Thanks, I figured out the "helpful" right after I posted that. it was one of those "duh" moments, I had seen the link before and just assumed it told you the guidelines or something, then it dawned on me, hmmmm, this is probably how you do it.

Looking forward to your new mod, I take it this will send on/off based on some criteria and given no soldering you have my interest peaked.

BTW -- I did not use a blow dart since I don't have any :) I used a 9 1/16" piece of solid copper wire, 24 guage. I made it the roughly 9" because that is 1/4 Wavelength of the 310 MHz frequency that X-10 uses in the US to transmit on. You likely already know this but the closer you are to 1, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 wavelength exactly the more effecient the antenna will be, in many cases like this close is good enough but thought I would add that just for anyone interested.

At 310MHz the ideal length in inches for a vertical antennal is as follows:
Full = 3' 1/4" -- Best you can do, couples the entire wave onto the antenna
3/4 = 2' 3 3/4"  -- odd but at 3/4 why not just go full
1/2 = 1' 6 1/8" -- More common, still a tad long
1/4 = 0' 9 1/16"  -- Very common, very effective
1/8 = 0' 4 17/32" -- Also very common but not nearly as good a 1/4

Thanks,
Bill

PS -- I click on the "helpful for ya"

hawk1

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:10:58 AM »

Thanks for the helpful WildBill47!  The next mod that I mentioned is to use the dusk/dawn sensor lead for a dry contact for about any kind of dry contact switch you can imagine.  The no solder method kind of suprised me too!
More to come!    ;)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »

FWIW

I used a simple 26 ga stranded insulated wire cut to 1/2 wavelength and hot glued to the left side of the xxxeye motion sensor. Most of my Active Eyes are mounted high so I just let the wire hang down like a "dribble" antenna. Ridgid wire like a coat hanger or like 14 ga solid copper in Romex, worked about the same as far as range, but was harder to work with and heavier. I don't think full wave would work well in this application, but didn't try it. ( I thought unless a full wave is "folded" you get signal cancellation along the element(?). )

1/4 wavelength did not work as well as the 1/2 wave since the xxxeye motion sensor has no RF ground plane, but as I recall the actual difference in distance was not appreciable.

I don't know if this old thread is any help or not.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=12013.0
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

WildBill47

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 02:04:44 PM »

FWIW

I used a simple 26 ga stranded insulated wire cut to 1/2 wavelength and hot glued to the left side of the xxxeye motion sensor. Most of my Active Eyes are mounted high so I just let the wire hang down like a "dribble" antenna. Ridgid wire like a coat hanger or like 14 ga solid copper in Romex, worked about the same as far as range, but was harder to work with and heavier. I don't think full wave would work well in this application, but didn't try it. ( I thought unless a full wave is "folded" you get signal cancellation along the element(?). )

1/4 wavelength did not work as well as the 1/2 wave since the xxxeye motion sensor has no RF ground plane, but as I recall the actual difference in distance was not appreciable.

I don't know if this old thread is any help or not.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=12013.0

One could write tomes on antenna theory, oh wait, they have : ) One of my profressors once said a RF stuff is "FM"....
Dramatic pause... Friggin Magic although he did not use friggin but this seems to be a PG-13 type of forum so O want to respect the theme....

I have added ground planes before, but to your point I don't recall that using a full WL antenna has any drawbacks withouht a ground plain except of course you are not going to get as good coupling. I have not done any true objective testing on X10 antenna's but have found that usually when dealing in omni's, the longer the better, provided you use the right length for each wl you want to match.

I added a very crude stave, 8 stave's 1/8th WL around the base of my CM15A antenna, just soldered the wires at about a 35 degree angle to the vertical, not sure if it made any real differnece but it did not hurt, I did it the same time I had added a 1/4 wave antenna to a motion detector.

I rarely use a full wl antenna for anyrthing, usually too long.

Thanks for the links, it looks like we have many have played X10 Antenna games, another nice trick is to just buy like as Linx although there are a lot cheaper ones out there transmitter and tap that right to the X10 xmit antenna, just get a 310MHz model, hope the FCC looks the other way and actaully unless someone complains no big deal, and then just driver the xmitter to max, you get 1/4 mile easy with 1/4 wl omni.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »

One could write tomes on antenna theory, oh wait, they have : ) One of my profressors once said a RF stuff is "FM"....

As an "old guy" from a nearly now defunct company that started with motor and ended with ola, I am familiar "FM RF" also.  :D

But I am not familiar with using full wave antennas for other than for polarization tricks. I need to PM you for some education.

Thanks

"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.