Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advantages of Security Controller/DS10A Sensors/On Alert?  (Read 18788 times)

ultradianguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Advantages of Security Controller/DS10A Sensors/On Alert?
« on: April 06, 2009, 05:27:48 PM »

Hi - there now appear to be multiple ways of doing "security applications" - ie having things happen based on doors/windows being open/closed.  It seems you can use or not use the Protector Plus DS7000 (correct model no?). You can apparently use On Alert to do some of the same things without this control center.  You can use powerflash modules and reed switches to sense door conditions or you can use the DS10A modules (with or without the security center).

Can someone help me figure out the pros/cons of these various approaches?

Right now i have AHP with every plugin EXCEPT On Alert.

To sense a door position, it seems like a powerflash module and switch is much better than using the DS10A and less expensive.  And I don't yet see what the On Alert plugin would get me.  Can't I simply create a macro to conditionally do something when the door is opened, as reported by powerflash?  Why do I need On ALERT or the security center?

Thanks for your help.

Michael

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Advantages of Security Controller/DS10A Sensors/On Alert?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 05:40:26 PM »

Can someone help me figure out the pros/cons of these various approaches?

I answered a simular question about the garage door opener.

Right now i have AHP with every plugin EXCEPT On Alert.
To sense a door position, it seems like a powerflash module and switch is much better than using the DS10A and less expensive.  And I don't yet see what the On Alert plugin would get me.  Can't I simply create a macro to conditionally do something when the door is opened, as reported by powerflash?  Why do I need On ALERT or the security center?

You can't do THIS without the OnAlert.

It's impossiable [for me] to guess at what uses you may want in the future... or even right now. I buy my X10 supplies through the "X10 deals". It saves me money to buy the deals... plus I end-up getting items I may never buy otherwise. But I always end-up using everything I get. Maybe you should look at a spare CM15A... with the complete software suite.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ultradianguy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »

Hi - Thanks for your reply.  Not sure I get how the chair relates to my questions, but I'm sure I'm just missing the connection.

Here's what I understand so far:
Powerflash approach requires nearby 120v outlet whereas the DS10A sensors work by RF.  However, my CM15A is nowhere near the door and that other whole house model people talk about made by WGL does not pick up security signals.  Could I use a TM751 transceiver to pick up the signal, or does that transceiver not pick up the security wireless from the DS10A?

I also understand that to integrate the DS10a with other X10 modules, I need either On Alert or the Security Console.  (Correct so far?).

What would I get by having the Security Console that I would not get with On Alert?

Thanks again,
Michael

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »

ultradianguy
True the DS7000 will see the signal but it sees it as a security device and only triggers a alarm condition on the DS7000.

The only way to intergrate the DS10A with other X10 modules is with On Alert and the CM15A!(well not the only way, but safest)
Now you could get a V572RF32(WGL-28000) which will convert the security signal of a DS10 to a standard x10 address then a CM15A could intergrate that with your other x10 devices.(Not a big fan of this method)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »

What would I get by having the Security Console that I would not get with On Alert?

Peace of mind that your home's security does not rely 100% on a windows operating system.

Now you could get a V572RF32(WGL-28000) which will convert the security signal of a DS10 to a standard x10 address then a CM15A could intergrate that with your other x10 devices.(Not a big fan of this method)

I use this method as well as the Security Console. However I use it more for bells and whistles and indirectly for security. Once the security signal is converted to a standard X10 PLC signal, it is no longer secure; but does provide a method for triggering macros. And it does not compromise the security of the sensors & the Security Console.

Of course OnAlert does the same thing but there are two restricting factors that go with it: 1) The very poor reception of the CM15A has to be accommodated for, and 2) A PC has to be connected and running for a security macro to execute.

I do have a dedicated PC that runs 24/7 and executes macros that send emails and provides speech; but for lights and cameras that I want controlled for security purposes, I use a 2nd standalone CM15A that responds to the PLC created signals from the security sensors.

This method gives my system 3 levels of reliability:

1) Sensors & Security Console: Alarm + Voice Dialer - High reliability (Basic standalone entry point monitor.)

2) Camera & Light control: CM15A Only - Medium Reliability (Primarily to prevent external attempts to get inside. The CM15A rarely stops working on it's own, but it can & has, and if it does the house's entry points are still protected.)

3) Emails & Speech: CM15A under PC Control - Lower Reliability (most likely will work, but not a major issue if it doesn't)

Side Note: In the event that #1) above does miss a breached sensor signal due to (eg) simultaneous RF interference from another device, #2) also turns on a Universal Module connected to a DS10A, which is registered to the Security Console. This helps maintain a High Reliability level for the basic Security Console set up.

there now appear to be multiple ways of doing "security applications" - ie having things happen based on doors/windows being open/closed.

This is true. It's a personal preference based on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

ultradianguy

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »

So is there communication between AHP/Onalert and the DS7000/PS561?  I read that OnAlert can arm but not disarm the Security System.  Does it communicate with it in any other way?  Or does OnAlert just interpret security codes received via the CM15A?

For instance, whereas the Security Console can't give any remote indication of which zone tripped it, if you also had OnAlert, could it email you to say which zone was activated?  But IMPORTANTLY, can OnAlert get this info from the PS561 console, or only directly from the sensors? I ask because it's unlikely that my CM15A would be able to receive signal from all the sensors due to distance - even with some of the mods.  So if it can't talk to the security console, it may not be worthwhile for me.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05:35 AM »

So is there communication between AHP/Onalert and the DS7000/PS561?  I read that OnAlert can arm but not disarm the Security System.  Does it communicate with it in any other way?  Or does OnAlert just interpret security codes received via the CM15A?

Only one way RF communication from the CM15A to the PS561, to arm the PS561.

For instance, whereas the Security Console can't give any remote indication of which zone tripped it, if you also had OnAlert, could it email you to say which zone was activated?

Yes.

But IMPORTANTLY, can OnAlert get this info from the PS561 console, or only directly from the sensors?

From the sensors only.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.