Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repeating on/off timer  (Read 6356 times)

imagineer1948

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Repeating on/off timer
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:10:59 PM »

Hi, I'm a NB, I have a timer question, Does anyone know if I can program AHP to turn on a small pump for 1-5 minutes every 15 -30 minutes 24/7? If this can be done what do I need and how do I do it. I have version 3.228, CM15A, TM751, This is for a airoponic setup and will be activating a 1/6hp pump to spray nutrient usually for a minute or so every 15 - 30 minutes 24hrs a day. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Repeating on/off timer
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »

set the pump to module  house code/unit code xX  (i.e. A1)
set a macro to yY  "on" (i.e. A2)

program the macro to look like this:

module xX on
delay 5 minutes
module xX off
delay 25 minutes
module yY on
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:39:47 PM »

module xX on
delay 5 minutes
module xX off
delay 25 minutes
module yY on

Knightrider,

This is a similar set up I have for my exhaust fans.... Wouldn't it be easier for him to set up several timers instead of macros? If he wants it to run 24/7, he would have to use a lot of macros....
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »

Not alot of macros.......the same one that keeps triggering itself

People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:45:20 PM »

Knightrider,

This is a similar set up I have for my exhaust fans.... Wouldn't it be easier for him to set up several timers instead of macros? If he wants it to run 24/7, he would have to use a lot of macros....

nope. the end of this macro calls itself.  saves a lot of coding on all the timers
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »

B:( my bad.... I see that now after looking back....
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »

module xX on
delay 5 minutes
module xX off
delay 25 minutes
module yY on
While this can work, you must take extreme caution to make sure that an additional code of "yY" is never sent as this will trigger an overlapping macro with less than desirable results. Also when using X10 automation you should always consider the what if condition if it fails on or fails off. i.e. What would happen if module xX were to stay on for an extended period of time continuously or stay off for an extended period of time.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

imagineer1948

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »

Thanks for a lot of good input, how would I interrupt the cycle if I have to alter the on/off times? what would be the preferred module to use? what could I set up to warn of a timing fault or power failure as mentioned in one of the replies, if this happened for a long enough period I could loose a whole crop of produce.

So as I understand the code

module xX on        Appliance Module is set to "module (C3) on"
delay 5 minutes     This holds the module on for "X" number of minutes
module xX off        This turns the module off
delay 25 minutes    This holds it off for "X" number of minutes
module yY on         This is the part I am not sure about

Is this another module or is it a phantom module and what is it's function, if possible could you explain this part a little more, as I said I am a newbie

Thanks

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 01:04:04 AM »

...how would I interrupt the cycle if I have to alter the on/off times? what would be the preferred module to use? what could I set up to warn of a timing fault or power failure as mentioned in one of the replies, if this happened for a long enough period I could loose a whole crop of produce...
Well while loops can be useful, unconditional loops can be dangerous. When using a loop, you should always have an out. One way is to set a flag and test for it.

Personally for your application, I'd skip the loop and use some timers. One approach would be the following.

Where pump is B1 and the controlling macro is M2

Macro M2
module B1 on        Pump is turned on
delay 5 minutes    This holds the module on for 5 minutes
module B1 off       This turns the module off
delay 30 secs     
module B1 off       Redundant off command
delay 30 secs     
module B1 off       Redundant off command

Now set up timers for M2 every half hour. Yes, I realize that for a 24hr period that would be 48 times for the macro. The advantage of this is that should an on signal be missed you would only miss one watering in the half hour period. The redundant off signals would help to assure that the pump didn't water too long. Additional security would require measures outside of just X10.
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 06:45:31 AM »

Steven R is correct in his assessment that having more than on instance of this looping macro can be dangerous.  I use looping macros to change the color of the lights on the Christmas tree.  All works fine until that macro implodes on itself. 
I guess it depends on how "hands on" you are with the interface.  Just remember that the option to purge macros is there for a reason.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »

...having more than on instance of this looping macro can be dangerous.  I use looping macros to change the color of the lights on the Christmas tree.  All works fine until that macro implodes on itself... ...Just remember that the option to purge macros is there for a reason.
Good example! Know X10's limits and weak points then you can "break the rules" so to speak. While Knightrider's Christmas lights might take on a more pseudo random pattern if the macro were to be triggered more than once there wouldn't be any major loss and macros could be purged and restarted.
I have a panic loop that flashes my lights. So loops can have a value just know their limitations and make sure you have a way out.

imagineer1948

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »

Thanks Guys for all your thought
It sounds like there is a reliability issue using x-10 for this critical application, I'm thinking that a dedicated On/Off repeating timer may be the best choice, it is to bad they are so expensive +-$100. the system will still require some type of battery back up for security but this is independent of the issue at hand. I think x-10 is great for many applications but maybe not for this one.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 11:48:13 AM »

Ya X10 should not be used for anything Critical. Even on the best of systems there is always a chance of a hick up..

Good luck on your search
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »

...It sounds like there is a reliability issue using x-10 for this critical application, I'm thinking that a dedicated On/Off repeating timer may be the best choice, it is to bad they are so expensive +-$100. the system will still require some type of battery back up for security but this is independent of the issue at hand. I think x-10 is great for many applications but maybe not for this one.
Good summary. X10 with AHP is the best value for the money for basic (and some elaborate) home automation systems. When it comes down to critical applications, however, one must weight all the "what ifs" to consider if it is the most reliable/best/safest for the application.
I could see X10 serving as a monitor for a dedicated timer in your case.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 04:04:55 PM »

Thanks Guys for all your thought
It sounds like there is a reliability issue using x-10 for this critical application,
I think x-10 is great for many applications but maybe not for this one.
I agree with jnslong that you should not depend on X10 for critical applications. However you can make X10 more bullet proof by using a X10 "2-Way" appliance module or Smarthome Insteon ApplianceLinc .

Although X10 no longer makes the 2-way appliance module (AM14A) you might still find them on eBay.

Once you send the command to turn on the module (pump), poll it for status. If it not ON use a conditional to send command again and re-poll. If it still isn't ON use a conditional to set off an alarm, email, etc.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.