Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding a phase coupler  (Read 2710 times)

tsttm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Finding a phase coupler
« on: April 14, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »

So, i did the quick test of turning on my stove & the one problematic module did resolve. So it seems i do have a phase issue with one of my modules.

So i went searching for a plug in phase coupler & it seems the ones i've seen have the wrong plug as my stove (i have no electric dryer). my stove has the NEMA 14-50 plug:

http://www.stayonline.com/reference-nema-straight-blade.aspx

the phase couplers i've seen on ebay & elsewhere are either 14-30 or 10-30.

So, do i need to get an adapter? Is that safe? & is this something home depot has?

Or, are there phase couplers that match my plug? thanks!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Finding a phase coupler
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »

tsttm I saw another post of yours here. I took the time to review all your posts.

From what I saw... and correct me (please) if I am wrong. You live in an apartment, and you have one troubled module... which is due to a phase issue. Your currently looking to resolve the issue (maybe with a passive phase coupler... such as the dryer plug... except you don't have one). And your also an AHP user.

Normally... I encourage everyone to completely resolve phase issues.... but its not always the best method. You might find its cheaper, faster and easier to find a work around. One way could be the use of a RR501.. also called a polite transceiver. Similar to the TM751 transceiver... except it will wait and not step on other PLCs (like those from your CM15A). It also has a selection for local control switching of ether the 1 or 9 unit code... of whatever house code it is set to. By setting your CM15A to send the RF signal for that H/U code... you should do OK.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »

I don't think you need an electric dryer just a 220 plug that a plug in phase coupler can jump x10 signals with.
Whether or not you actually plug an appliance into that coupler is inconsequential.

If I'm wrong someone please kindly correct me.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »

No you do not need to have a 220 volt appliance in the correct outlet. You just need the correct outlet.

Unfortunately there are different types and only some match the pins on a plug in coupler. Like the Smarthome ones fit three and four pin dryer outlets. I believe an outlet for a electric stove may not match a dryer one.  ???

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:10:28 PM »

the phase couplers i've seen on ebay & elsewhere are either 14-30 or 10-30.

So, do i need to get an adapter? Is that safe? & is this something home depot has?

Or, are there phase couplers that match my plug? thanks!

No it isn't safe.

Because of the high currents in a stove, Smarthome does not make a repeater for a stove outlet. Trying to adapt it would break every rule in the NEC but more importantly, create an unsafe, very hot, connection next Thanksgiving when all four burners and the oven are on high. Every plug/socket inserts a tiny bit of resistance in the circuit, which in the stove example you want to keep to an absolute minimum.

Consider biting the bullet and look at purchasing a XTB IIR or an ACT 234, wire in repeater, and get chummy with the licensed electrician who lives down the street.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 12:15:19 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.