Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I buy these?  (Read 15979 times)

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Should I buy these?
« on: April 14, 2009, 11:22:28 PM »

I got offered this stuff from a guy at work who's a tech geek like me. He's giving me a pretty good deal on it, somewhere under $100, I'm guessing I should offer about $50? $70? What do you think it's worth? I know the idea behind the technology but have never used it before and never seen it used anywhere. I also have all Linux machines in my home so if the software only runs on Windows then that's a problem too. So is it worth anything? Thanks!

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Should I buy these?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:48:49 PM »

i think its worth it.... Damn I will buy it.....LOL

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »

Saying it all works $50 would be a heck of a deal.  you can use allot of it with out a computer but I'm sure if you search there are ways of getting somethings to work with Linux.  If you don't want to buy it let your coworker know and maybe someone on here here will........Cause that looks like a pile of fun to me but we are nerdy like that
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:42:43 AM »

In one of the photos. It looks like one of the items is the older CM11A interface. I believe there are a few Linux based programs that can use that module.
The Radio Shack modules where made by X10 as an OEM product. So compatibility is not an issue.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »

I'm looking for 1 old white ws467 (without slow start) for cheap.
I just bought one on eBay for $5.00 and free shipping. I see one in the picture. Let me know if you want to part with one.  ;D

Ron
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Duck69

• Helpful Post Rating: 36
  • Unselfish Love
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 09:41:41 PM »

Definitely buy it.

Here are 2 very good reasons to buy this stuff.

1) Linux: Do a web search for "Linux Home Automation"
    OR start here: http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ or here http://www.linuxha.com/

2) Money: Even if you decide not to use the equipment you could resell it on eBay or to one of us & make a little $$$.
     OR have a yard sale & still make a few $$$
"I'm not lazy, I'm just Resistant to exertion."

Deemar

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »

Got it all for $50! Looks like I'll be sticking around the forums to figure out exactly how this stuff works  >!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 09:14:51 PM »

>! That's a GREAT BUY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:' Looks like someone else is going to get bit by the X10 bug.......

;D Welcome Aboard
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Deemar

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »

I tried to plug in this CM11A to my computer but it doesn't plug in anywhere. I don't have a port that fits this cable that comes out of it on my main desktop which has an Asus A8N motherboard. I do have 2 of the ports on an ooooooooooold desktop I have here but it's set up as a guinea pig and it would take me an hour or more to install Ubuntu on it and who knows if the hardware would work or not. So how do I plug this thing into my desktop? Maybe buy a PCI card? Converter or some sort?

bitman

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 11:57:47 PM »

A PCI serial port card (that's what the CM11a uses) is a better bet than any usb to serial converter.

Note also that the CM11a will only work with AH original version (And freeware on the net)
But it will not work with AH Pro. I don't know about Linux.

Deemar

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 12:08:12 AM »

A PCI serial port card (that's what the CM11a uses) is a better bet than any usb to serial converter.

Note also that the CM11a will only work with AH original version (And freeware on the net)
But it will not work with AH Pro. I don't know about Linux.

Thanks regarding the suggestion to buy a PCI card, I'll check the prices, can't be too expensive.

But regarding your second comment, I don't understand. What's AH? Is that the software? I downloaded and ran Heyu which is Linux software for controlling the CM11A.

bitman

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »

AH = Active Home.

For windows 3.1 (Works on later versions).

Heyu. That's funny.
I say that to my x10 stuff all the time, usually followed by "i'm talking to you...."
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:11:27 PM by bitman »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 01:39:43 PM »

rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Deemar

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 03:02:29 PM »

AH = Active Home.

Heyu. That's funny.
I say that to my x10 stuff all the time, usually followed by "i'm talking to you...."
That's why the developer named it so, his kids moved out and he missed saying, "Hey you, turn off the light!"

I'm looking at buying a serial PCI card for $5-$10 off a guy, stay tuned. I'm sure to have a lot of questions once I get this thing running, especially if it's all glitchy like I expect.

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:37:20 PM »

AH = Active Home.

Heyu. That's funny.
That's why the developer named it so, his kids moved out and he missed saying, "Hey you, turn off the light!"

I'm looking at buying a serial PCI card for $5-$10 off a guy, stay tuned. I'm sure to have a lot of questions once I get this thing running, especially if it's all glitchy like I expect.

Ordinary 1 or 2 port serial PCI cards are generally automatically recognized by Linux, although with some Linux releases the port numbering may be a little unexpected, e.g., with some kernel versions on my system the add-on ports are /dev/ttyS2 and /dev/ttyS3, whereas with other versions they were sometimes /dev/ttyS14 and /dev/ttyS15.

If your PC has USB ports, another option is a USB-Serial adapter.  Heyu runs fine with these.  For Linux, adapters with an FTDI chipset are generally preferable to those with a Prolific chipset.  Byterunner (http://www.byterunner.com) lists the chipset in the adapters they sell - most vendors don't.

If you like Heyu, consider joining the Heyu Users forum  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/heyu_users

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.