Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Setting timers for multiple 1 minute cycles over a 24 hour period.  (Read 2814 times)

Techowl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have a timer setup in Active Home Pro that uses 48 on/off cycles over a 24 hour period. Basically this is used to run a sump pump for 1 minute every 1/2 hour. The 1 minute is more than enough time to completely drain the sump hole.

The problem is that only the first one, that is due to run after I connect the CM15a to the wall, seems to do the job. The rest never happen. For example, if I connect the CM15a to the wall at 12:45 AM, the one that is due at 01:00 AM works, but not the rest. If I connect at 02:17 PM the one for 02:30 works but not the rest.

My question is whether or not the X-10 system can handle times that are only 1 minute durations and if there is a limit on the number of timers one module can have. It seems strange to me that the first one will go, but not the rest.

These are simple on/off timers set to activate every 1/2 hour, every day of the year. I have also set the repeat function on. I have the CM15a located just a few feet away from the SR227 Appliance Outlet module.

Oh and the SR227 always activates if I use an RF remote to manually start and stop the pump.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Techowl -

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Setting timers for multiple 1 minute cycles over a 24 hour period.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »

I have a timer setup in Active Home Pro that uses 48 on/off cycles over a 24 hour period. Basically this is used to run a sump pump for 1 minute every 1/2 hour. The 1 minute is more than enough time to completely drain the sump hole.

What your trying to create sounds a lot like my "talking clock" which has been announcing the time for me for over a couple years now. It could be easily modified for your sump.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »

I'd be leary of trusting x10 for something as important as a sump pump.  Why can't a float switch be used?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:06:58 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:23:44 PM »

You must have a bad basement leak? I have a 109 year old house that the basement is always wet in and my pump doesn't need to run that much? heck it does run at all unless there is allot of rain.

I ditto what knightrider said. You should use a float switch that's the only way to ensure the pump runs enough and only when it needs to.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »

You must have a bad basement leak? ........ You should use a float switch ......

.... Why can't a float switch be used?

I don't know what I was thinking.

It's obvious that the OP is trying to lower the water level beneath his basement/home... therefore getting that last bit of water out of the pit. I think its safe to assume... he is piping the sump water to a city storm drain or retention pond so as to be sure it doesn't merely drain into the ground and return to the aquafer around his home. But even then.... he will likely just be wasting the electric that powers the pump.

Or he could be using sump water to water a garden (or yard) and not pay the city for their water.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.