Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VT38A floodlight/camera and Eagle Eye motion sensors  (Read 6823 times)

FlyerTom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
VT38A floodlight/camera and Eagle Eye motion sensors
« on: April 25, 2009, 06:27:35 AM »

I've found that the Eagle Eye motion sensor to be more reliable than the current Heath wireless controls that are available at our local Borgs.  The system that I purchased from Home Despot won't function with one of the motion detectors that was included in the kit.  My intention is to illuminate the driveway when we come home at night, and also when we (dog included) leave through the back door.  The lights only come on with the back door sensor.
  Now,  I've got a VT38A floodlight/camera unit that I never installed, along with an extra Eagle Eye motion sensor that I'd like to combine.  The light-mounted sensor would trigger the lights when someone comes in the driveway, and the Eagle Eye would monitor the back door and activate the lights when needed.  Is this possible?  Can the unit accept commands from two sources?

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: VT38A floodlight/camera and Eagle Eye motion sensors
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:12:40 AM »

I don't have a floodlight camera but if it is X10 than you should be able to do this.  I DO know that other X10 modules can have as many motion sensors as you want.

I currently have several motion sensors to trigger one camera.

You can either setup all motion sensors on the same unit and house code or if your using software like AHP than you can have them with different house and unit codes and then write a macro to turn modules on.

Hope this helps.   ;)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:43 PM »

The light-mounted sensor would trigger the lights when someone comes in the driveway, and the Eagle Eye would monitor the back door and activate the lights when needed.  Is this possible?  Can the unit accept commands from two sources?

FlyerTom: Welcome to the forum. From my brief experience with using a Floodcam, I believe I was able to turn its light on & off with a PLC signal. In order for your backyard EagleEye to turn the driveway Floodcam's lights on you need a Transceiver (TM751 or RR501) to receive the EagleEye's RF signal and send it to the Floodcam along the house's power lines.

FlyerTom

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 01:24:15 PM »

A rainy Sunday, and little to do....
  So here's what I've found out:
   I connected the wiring for the VT38A on the bench to a wall receptacle so as to test things out.  I set the codes to the cam and Eagle Eye to C-1 to avoid any possible conflict with the other X-10 gizmos around the house. 
I placed the Eagle Eye across the room, face down with a rag over it to blind it.  The cam-mounted sensor clicked the lights on (as it should).  Then I turned the cam away from me, covered that with a rag, aimed the Eagle Eye in the general direction I wanted, and walked past it.  Again, the lights clicked on.  Joy to the world.  I waited about 2 minutes for everything to calm down after the lights went out, and tried it again with both sensors in a "working" position.  Walking by this contraption turned the lights on yet again.  A rainy Sunday isn't so bad after all. 
Of course, not all is peachy in Mudville, however.  Once the lights went on, they didn't shut off.  Silly me to think it would be that easy.

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »

I saw another post where someone used a 65 watt bulb and the floodlight became more reliable.  Might give that a try.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.