Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vanguard software will not control my cameras  (Read 9440 times)

maxrich

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Vanguard software will not control my cameras
« on: April 25, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »

If this has been covered, I apologize, but I can't find it.  Also, I'm new to all of this, so don't shoot me if it's in the wrong category. I've got two x10 cams, one color, one bw on ninja bases.  Using the remote and the transceiver I can switch my cameras, pan them, etc, BUT, Vanguard software (not internet, haven't even gotten there yet) will not do it. I've tried every setting I can think of, but basically, from the client application installed on my PC, I want to 1) switch cameras, 2) pan and tilt them. The rest I'll deal with later once I get this resolved.  This has got to be an easy thing.  Don't let me bias what you would say, but it's obviously in the software itself, so is a "camera TYPE" setting, or some other setting or what? Also, my personal email is madmaxrich@gmail.com, I'll figure out how to find out if someone replies to this post, but maybe for the first one or two can someone just email me directly as well as posting?

Thanks,
Max
Birmingham, AL

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: Vanguard software will not control my cameras
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »

you may need a 1 Small Wireless Transceiver (TM751) or 1 USB Video Capture Adapter (VA11A) and a ActiveHome Professional Computer Interface and USB Cable (CM15A) its these that talk to the cameras.

tallelf78

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 11:51:09 AM »

maxrich,

i can't really be of help since i have the same problem...I have all the necessary hardware but sometimes one camera decides to take control and become the dominant one (usually the last one plugged in)

anyone experience switching problems?

also, i have read the forums thouroughly...and i can guaruntee that:

is not a phase problem - all 4 cams are on the same circuit
is not a signal issue - all 4 cams are within 20 feet of each other (increasing distance doesn't help)
hardware has been uninstalled/reinstalled several times
computer rebuilt (WinXP and only necessary drivers, no other software)
all appliance (and I mean all) have been unplugged

so....plz someone help with the switching issue if you can, i'm at wits end!?!?

criteria101

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »

I have cameras working in Vanguard after plugging into the USB the CM19A Transceiver. Do you have that plugged in? I was only able to see and switch between each cam after plugging the CM19A in.

What I am most angry about is that the setup does not allow you to watch the grid of 4 cameras in Vanguard all live at once, but only the one you click on will be showing live and the rest will just show the last captured image. Am I wrong? Is there a way to enable this or even any X10 product that will allow this? If not, then I was tricked and bought the wrong product - and I am just now 1 day past 30 days. Can someone please answer that for me though?

astrothug

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 06:20:21 PM »

each camera is on 2.4 ghz so if you were able to have camera's on all the time, they would be canceling each other out,even with camera's on the other frequency the picture would be fuzzy.  Any wireless camera will do that... not just x10, if you want to see all 4 camera's you should have gone with wired cameras.
btw i did see a 4 wireless camera system that could do it but it was over $500.00 for the set up.

criteria101

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »

each camera is on 2.4 ghz so if you were able to have camera's on all the time, they would be canceling each other out,even with camera's on the other frequency the picture would be fuzzy.  Any wireless camera will do that... not just x10, if you want to see all 4 camera's you should have gone with wired cameras.
btw i did see a 4 wireless camera system that could do it but it was over $500.00 for the set up.

Well it is the way it was advertised by X10 and my failure to specifically ask if all four wireless camera's video signal could be viewed at one time. Of course now I realize it is not possible.

I should have just stuck to my instincts and gone with this DVR or one like it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CH-4CH-CCTV-VIDEO-RECORD-Camera-Security-System-DVR_W0QQitemZ350194614584QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item350194614584&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

And that DVR has already built in motion detection capability. That along with a couple cheap wired cams to start up and I am pretty sure I would be a much happier person right now.

My X10 order was $239.00.  What do you I suggest I do since I am now 1 day passed the 30 day guarantee and also passed the 14 day return limit? Try them on the phone and see if they make exception or try to resell myself?

astrothug

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »

well even with the short coming of the cameras, they do have uses, I have 3 x10 cameras and 2 other wireless cameras, and will buy a few more but I'm more likely will buy the wired X10 camera's.

I have a dvr that my cams are hooked up to, so with the camera system all cams are in one screen, when i get more of the wired cameras, they will be on the other 3 screens making a 4 camera dvr a 7 camera dvr system...

you might want to go that route as well..

criteria101

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:40 PM »

I will get a DVR like originally wanted to. I guess I could still use at least one of the cams with the DVR. I'll let you know.

Thought you might be interested in what X10 support suggested:

"You can add a quad processor and three additional video receivers to your system to do this, for about $350. Call 800-675-3044 to discuss upgrade options. If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!"

astrothug

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:31 PM »

"You can add a quad processor and three additional video receivers to your system to do this, for about $350. Call 800-675-3044 to discuss upgrade options. If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!"

ya what is that.....lol.....i heard that before...

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:46 PM »

Criteria101,

Before you get that particular DVR, decide if you want to be able to remotely view your cam's.  Meaning, your away somewhere and want to see what is going on at home.  You log into your dvr and look at the video's.   The model you listed does not allow this.
   For not much more, you can get a DVR that has the same features but will also allow for a network connection.

suesloan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »

I have cameras working in Vanguard after plugging into the USB the CM19A Transceiver. Do you have that plugged in? I was only able to see and switch between each cam after plugging the CM19A in.

What I am most angry about is that the setup does not allow you to watch the grid of 4 cameras in Vanguard all live at once, but only the one you click on will be showing live and the rest will just show the last captured image. Am I wrong? Is there a way to enable this or even any X10 product that will allow this? If not, then I was tricked and bought the wrong product - and I am just now 1 day past 30 days. Can someone please answer that for me though?

I found today that if one camera's wiring is not firmly connected to the plug-in for power, that camera will dominate the others and show on all 4 cameras. I plan to tape up those connections so they cannot wiggle loose.

Once you get the 4 working individually, there is a drop-down list box that starts with "Live Video" as the default in the lower lefthand corner of the Vanguard screen (not the browser, but the "Vanguard" program). There are options on that drop-down that let you see a grid of 4 cameras at one time.

Sue

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.