Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help Controlling Pool & Spa with X10  (Read 7103 times)

GregH

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help Controlling Pool & Spa with X10
« on: April 25, 2009, 10:00:10 PM »

AHP 3.228 w/CM15A
XTB-IIR

My pool system (filter pump, heater, cleaner booster pump, pool lights, spa jets) is controlled by a Pentair LX-100.

One of the mechanical timers has failed and I'm trying to determine how difficult it would be to convert the two timers (item: TMRLX) to X10 control.  (Replacing the two timers with OEM would cost $200+.)
I have a lot of X10 modules working well in the house but I've never attempted using relays and the like. 

The Owner's Manual (found here: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/LX100EZ_EasyTouch_Pool_Spa_Control_System_OM.pdf) states that the control panel use 115 VAC and draws less than 1 Amp.  Has anyone here set up a pool system to work with X10?  Can mechanical timers be swapped out for X10 relays inside the LX-100?
I found some information on JCL Automation's website but wanted to solicit help here from this very active community.

Thanks,
Greg

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: Help Controlling Pool & Spa with X10
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:19:28 AM »

I've had the great fortune to discuss Pentair systems and x10 in length with some of the guys at the Cocoontech chat.  It's of a general consensus that the pentair systems generate quite a bit of noise that interferes with the x10 signal.

That being said, I'll still bet that there's a way to do what you want, and I'm betting that someone here (myself included) can help.

BTW, I use a Hayward pump on X10 and haven't had any problems yet.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

GregH

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »

Knight,
Thanks for the reply.  What hardware are you using to control the pump?

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »

Sadly, nothing as fancy as what you have.  For some reason or another, I ended up with some X10 heavy duty appliance modules which I think we're bonuses in one of my orders.  I had a simple intermatic timer on the pump before, so I made some modifications to make this unit work with my pump and put the timer on permanent by-pass by removing the on/off lugs from the timer wheel.
Like I say, not that fancy, but it works. 
You can read more about it here : 
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17694.msg98021#msg98021
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

GregH

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 10:23:23 PM »

The silkscreen on the back of the mechanical timer (TMRLX) has the following info (listed in order):
21A 250V~AC     24V~AC
1HP 125V~AC     60Hz
2HP 250V~AC

5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1

Pin 5 has a graphic indicating a switch which connects to pin 3.  Blue wire connected to pin 5 and orange wire to pin 3.  Pin 4 is unused.
Pin 2 and pin 1 are connected by a graphic indicating the motor/load (a circle with an 'M' inside).  White wire connected to pin 2 and black wire to pin 1.
Does this sound like it could be replaced by a HomePro Fixture Relay Module 20A (Advanced Control Technologies RF 124) or something similar?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »

Does this sound like it could be replaced by a HomePro Fixture Relay Module 20A (Advanced Control Technologies RF 124) or something similar?
HomePro is Z Wave, so since you have CM15A, XTB IIR, etc you probably do not want to go down the Z Wave trail.

The RF 124, 224, interfaces from ACT should work. Alternatives are to build (or have built) your own relay interfaces using 120V AC coil relays and Appliance Modules. This is what I did to an "American" spa, years ago. I found a heavy duty contactor with 120V coil for the heater control, a 20A,  2 pole relay for the jets pump (using both poles). l also had a small 120V filter/circulating pump which I fed from one side of the heater contactor so any time the heater was on, the water was circulating.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

GregH

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »

Dave, could I simply clip the wires from the old mechanical timer, solder and shrink-wrap them to the RF 124 and plug it into the controller board?  Could I get that lucky?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 08:54:27 PM »

Dave, could I simply clip the wires from the old mechanical timer, solder and shrink-wrap them to the RF 124 and plug it into the controller board?  Could I get that lucky?
That lucky? I doubt it. There are many unanswered questions I think need to be answered to decide what ACT controllers to purchase

What is the control board (which you stated took less than an amp) doing? Does pump, heater, light, power come from the controller? And what is the timer doing? Do you want X10 to run everything in the spa?

What ever the timer is controlling, is it 120V, 240V, both? etc. The specs you provided doesn't say much, i.e. is pin 3 and 5 the heater control? What is the voltage and current of the heater? Same question for the pin 1 and 2 connection and what ever it is controlling. My guess is you will need a RF124 for the 120V and a RF 234 for the 240 V, but without more information I dunno. How comfortable are you with a digital voltmeter and 240 volts?

Additionally, as much as I would like to help Phil Kingery sell you multiple ACT 124s and 234s for total AHP control of spa heater, pumps, lights, etc, I suspect the ACT solution will be more costly that buying a new mechanical timer.

GregH

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »

Dave,
Thanks for the help.  I am comfortable with using a multimeter (I own an Extech EX430).  My system has two timers, one controls a 2HP pump and the other a 1.5 HP booster pump.  The rest of it, including the heater, are controlled by manual switches.  All I'm really after is replacing the two timers.
I believe pins 1 and 2 control the load across the pump and pins 3 and 5 are the switching relay.  I will call the Pentair Tech Support guys and ask specifically what pin is doing what.  If I can use a $35 relay instead of buying a $100 mechanical timer I'll be happy - both for saving a couple of dollars and for bringing X10 into the mix. 
Again, thanks for helping.  I'm good with assembly but design is my shortfall.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »

If just replacing the timers the ACT RF xxx should solve your problem. You just need to determine if you need the 120V or the 240V units.

The only thing I would not trust X10 for is controlling a pump that MUST be running when the heater is energized. The Murphys rule for X10 is: "It won't (insert: "turn ON" or "turn OFF" ) when you absolutely need it".

GregH

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:05:40 PM »

The heater will remain on a manual switch.
The LX-100 controller board handles the smarts, for example, if I turn on the heater the LX-100 flips on the main pump, if I turn on the pool sweeper (on the booster pump) it turns on the main pump.  All that the timers are doing is throwing the pump switches based on time.  The main smarts are still controlled by the LX-100.
I'm still going to call Pentair to confirm how many volts/amps are switching.

GregH

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »

I spoke with a Pentair Technician.  He said the timer is only using 24V across either pins 1 & 2 or pins 3 & 5.  If pins 1 & 2 are hot then the pump is turned on by the controller board, if pins 3 & 5 are hot then the pump is off.
He further said X10 won't work because the timer is not hooked directly into the AC line - the timer receives its 24V from the LX-100 controller.

*Sigh*

I believe that I'm out of luck on this one.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.