Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacing "Self-Contained" Electrical Installations with X-10 Devices  (Read 5368 times)

AJA

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Greetings,

I am trying to install some x-10 devices into my mobile home but have discovered that the mobile home does not have the conventional electrical boxes that the X-10 devices would screw into. Instead, the electrical devices that came with the mobile home are unique in that they have a kind of tab that grabs the sheet-rock from the inside and pulls the device flush with the wall as you tighten down the screw on the electrical device.

Does anyone know of an adapter that I could use with the X-10 devices to attach them to what is essentially just a whole in the sheet-rock wall? The X-10 device looks like it could be retrofitted with something to this purpose. But I would hate to improvise something when there must be an adapter specifically for this. I can't be the first person who has ever tried to put a conventional electrical device into a mobile home.

Thanks, AJA.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

I don't have a mobile home with your type mounts; but I have seen old work electrical boxes. That fit into a hole you cut in the sheet rock. That have ears that extend to lock the box into the wall board as the mounting screws are tightened.
Maybe they would fit, but I am sure others here may have some better thoughts.

AJA

Hmmmm. That's an idea. Thanks.

I think I'll browse Lowes and see what I can find. I'll let you know.

Thanks again, AJA.

AJA

I don't have a mobile home with your type mounts; but I have seen old work electrical boxes. That fit into a hole you cut in the sheet rock. That have ears that extend to lock the box into the wall board as the mounting screws are tightened.
Maybe they would fit, but I am sure others here may have some better thoughts.

I came up with something simple. I tried to retrofit some kind of mounting box inside the hole and mount the standard electrical device to it, but that is no small task. My solution is improvised, but it is easy and it works.

All I did was remove the locking tabs from the self contained electrical device and installed them into the upper right and lower left holes on the standard mount electrical device. One will have to replace the screws that come with the locking tabs with flat heads screws to allow the new face plate to be screwed down flush onto the standard electrical device and the wall. It's not elegant, but it works just fine.

Cheers, AJA

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

Thanks for keeping us informed and sharing your solution.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21

I have this same problem in my mobile home.  I just went down to the local lumber store and bought some electrical boxes that have the tabs on them for just that purpose.

The electrical wire was not cut like a normal outlet, instead the wire was just stripped on its insulation and pushed down into the mobile outlet.  About the same thing as those little blue clip wire splices that people use to splice auto trailers with.  Put  the wire in and then use a pair of pliers to clip the little blue thing shut.

I had to pull the wire out of the outlet, cut the wire, then wire the x10 switch and use the boxes that I mentioned above.  Pain in the butt but i couldn't figure any other way to do it.  I hate those things!   :-\
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.