Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IR Transmitter Needed  (Read 5345 times)

rockinthesixstring

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IR Transmitter Needed
« on: April 30, 2009, 07:51:34 PM »

I am having a problem finding the RIGHT IR Transmitter.  It may simply be a terminology thing but I am confused none the less.

I just purchased the X10 startup kit to get me going, but I also want to run my home entertainment system on the X10 system.  I need to be able to transmit IR to my componenets but I do NOT need an IR Receiver as I am planning on using my iPhone to do the controling.  Any insights into getting this to work properly will be very helpful.

My ideal solution will be to have everything running through my home server, send the command via my iPhone and have the IR Transmitter respond accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: IR Transmitter Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:02:47 PM »

I'm not sure if anyone has tested running PC Companion or BVC from a iPhone
both are capable of sending IR info using different IR transmitters.

PC Companion with the plug-in pack uses the VCR Commanders (hidden functions)
BVC uses the  USB-UIRT

Of coarse both will need either a CM19A(Firecracker) or CM15A(Activehome Pro) and a PC running
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

rockinthesixstring

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 12:05:36 AM »

I did buy the ActiveHome starter it so I will have ActiveHome Pro. 

I don't know much about the two products that you listed but I do know that I don't want to have to have a PC running in the living room in order to control a USB device.  I would prefer a unit that is stand alone running off of a wall socket or some other format that doesn't require another computer running.

My server is in the dungeon locked away, never seeing the light of day.

rockinthesixstring

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 12:07:09 AM »

also, it appears that these are voice recognition applications.  this is also something that I will not need.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 01:07:50 AM »

...... it appears that these are voice recognition applications.  this is also something that I will not need.

I am very likely BVC's biggest fan! And your right BVC does have Speech Recognition applications... and it does very well with that. It utilizes Microsoft's Speech Recognition Engine to hear and operate X10 by voice command. Because it uses MS for the speech.... BVC remains a very small program.... that does NOT use much processing power ether.

To be honest... as my system has become most advanced... I don't have to do much "commanding" of my Voice Command Setup. But BVC does so very much more... even if I didn't have a microphone setup... I would still need BVC. For one... it does handle my IR!

Here is a YouTube Video... of the BVC IR turning on a small TV to show camera views. In the video you will see where BVC also plays a warning message OUTSIDE as well as inside... to warn off tresspassers. I also use BVC "listening abliitys" (BVC listens for X10 PLC and RF signals) to jump to action and "yell" when it hears the security alarm. As well as the Talking Clock.... and much much more.

I should write more about what all BVC does. And you might want to consider testing the trial version... forget the speech part... it doesn't NEED to run. Just test the other parts of the app for free... I think you'll be impressed.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:41:20 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

rockinthesixstring

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 01:42:52 AM »

That's all well and good, but BVC appears to be software.  I still need the appropriate piece of hardware to send the IR signal FROM my ActiveHome Pro software TO my IR components like my TV and D-Link Medialounge.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:29:49 AM »

Although both programs are software and a PC needs to run them the PC doesn't need to be in the same room as your entertainmet devices.

PC Commander (PCC) is not a voice recognition program although it looks like one.
If you use PCC the VCR Commander (ux23a) is set up in the room with your devices with emitters stuck to your devices for IR.
How ever if you don't like the emitters stuck to your devices you can set up powermids to send signals from the VCR commander wireless
see  Hide that VCR Commander!

Your still going to need a way of converting signals from your iPhone to send to any IR sending unit and software is the only way I know of thus far!
Maybe in the next iPhone upgrade it will have IR send built in! -:)
in the mean time try one of the fore mentioned softwares or both ( they both have a free trial download) They may not work with your iPhone they way you envision but maybe with some tweeking they will! ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

rockinthesixstring

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »

No, I totally realize that the iPhone does not send IR signals.  There is an iPhone app that can talk to ActiveHome Pro... AHP would then (in my ideal situation) send an X10 signal to some X10 IR Emitter to control the device.

I don't mind having IR emitters stuck to my devices, but those emitters need to get a signal from somewhere. 

Will the ux23a send macro signals to my devices? 
If so, what other products are out there that are similar to the ux23a? 

I don't want to cheap out on the gear, I want to get the "right" gear to do the job.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 05:57:59 PM »

...... I don't mind having IR emitters stuck to my devices, but those emitters need to get a signal from somewhere. 

I have my IR setup on my Home Automation Computer... which lives in my seldom used basement office. The PC uses the USB-UIRT (via BVC) which flashes it's IR signal to the sending unit of a Powermid type device. The re-sender or receiving part of the Powermid is located upstairs by the LCD TV. The Powermid blasts such a nice IR signal... I actually have it behind the TV... yet the reflective IR still works perfectly.

Interestingly..... you could use more than one re-sender or receiving part of the Powermid and bring the same level of automation to your bedroom, deck, garage... whatever.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 06:02:32 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

rockinthesixstring

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 06:09:04 PM »

...... I don't mind having IR emitters stuck to my devices, but those emitters need to get a signal from somewhere. 

I have my IR setup on my Home Automation Computer... which lives in my seldom used basement office. The PC uses the USB-UIRT (via BVC) which flashes it's IR signal to the sending unit of a Powermid type device. The re-sender or receiving part of the Powermid is located upstairs by the LCD TV. The Powermid blasts such a nice IR signal... I actually have it behind the TV... yet the reflective IR still works perfectly.

Interestingly..... you could use more than one re-sender or receiving part of the Powermid and bring the same level of automation to your bedroom, deck, garage... whatever.
Now this is something that makes sense to me.  Thank you for your insight.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.