Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New XTB install  (Read 4162 times)

Bill59

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
New XTB install
« on: May 05, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »

First post, Hi everyone and thanks for all the help over the last couple months. Just installed an  XTB and  seems to be working fine. Except for one wall switch. Standard dimming x-10 with 4 flood lamps (400 watts). When this switch is on, it makes the XTB led come on steady, with some chatter noise. Wondering if x-10 devices create destructive noise, or a defective switch?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: New XTB install
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »

Unlike the TW523, the XTB LED is only on when its transmitter is active.  Something must be triggering that.  It could be your X10 controller is sending a continuous stream of commands through the XTB.  However, it is also possible for high-energy powerline transients to couple back into the driver stage when nothing is plugged into the X10 Input receptacle.

The XTB is designed to support normal X10 activity, including a continuous series of hundreds of X10 commands.  Its driver stage can be overheated by an unending stream of commands.  If the LED remains illuminated, you should identify the cause of the problem before the unit is damaged.

The "chatter" you hear is probably from the inductor in the power stage.  The large currents involved can cause its windings to emit a faint ticking sound.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Bill59

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Can the high-energy transients couple back with the controller plug in? When the lights are turned off it stops, and a the controller functions normally. Actually the controller works while the noise is going on. The noise does not make the led as bright as the commands do.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Can the high-energy transients couple back with the controller plug in? When the lights are turned off it stops, and a the controller functions normally. Actually the controller works while the noise is going on. The noise does not make the led as bright as the commands do.

The fact that the LED is dim really points to a transient.  I have never seen anything couple back with a transmitter load on it.  The AC receptacle is fed through a low-pass filter.  It is technically feasible for a very high energy transient to leak enough signal back through that low-pass filter to turn the transmitter on briefly for each half cycle.

The energy in a transient depends on the line inductance, and where in the 60Hz waveform that power is switched.  Switching near zero crossings produce little or no transient.  Switching further up the waveform can produce a stronger transient.  Switching near the peak, as would be the case when lights are dimmed, can produce significant transients if there is enough line inductance.  The fact that these are floodlights may mean there are long runs and some significant inductance.

I do not recall anyone reporting anything like this before.  I would like to confirm the unit is functioning as it should.  Even if you assembled it as a kit, I would give it a full electrical test and return it at no charge.  If I assembled it myself, I will even reimburse you for shipping.  Perhaps it would be best to contact me directly to arrange its return.

Jeff

Bill59

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:49:48 PM »

One more round of noodling before I send it back. Replaced switch WS467 with new one. No change. Reduced number of bulbs to two, worked on one set good, other set not as good,had lingering transient but went out in seconds. Changed bulb in suspect pair. It will come on 100% and works fine, but won't dim with out noise. One added question, what is the difference between x-10 and x-10 pro modules? Could there be too much power for WS467?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 05:56:43 PM »

The only difference between X10 and X10Pro modules is that the Pro ones are tested much more than standard ones. In your case with the WS467's, where are they being used?  It may be noise that is causing the problems.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Bill59

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 06:41:27 PM »

They are used to switch 2 pair of flood lamps at the corners of the house. (400 watts approximately, 90 watts mixed with 100 watters) They are about 50 ft. apart with switch in the middle.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:50:23 PM »

Since I can't recall this issue ever having been reported before, I suspect something is wrong with the XTB.

From your ID, I cannot identify whether the XTB was bought as a kit or custom assembled.  If a kit, please check the diodes (both polarity and type).  The behavior you report is possible if the clamping levels in the return signal amplifier are not correct.

Jeff

Bill59

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 07:42:45 PM »

I will check the diodes and get back later. Thank you very much, for the help

Bill59

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »

Jeff did a visual inspection of the diodes and all polarities are correct. The zener is larger than the rest and is correctly inserted at d9. I did not check each one before soldering for short or open. I do not have a multimeter at home.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »

Please send it back for a full electrical test at no charge.  I'll find out what is wrong.

Jeff

Bill59

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 06:28:13 AM »

Will do. Thanks for the help.

Boiler

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »

Bill,
Any chance that your floodlight receptacle has a photocell installed?

I've seen these produce some nasty oscillations when connected to dimmers.

Bill59

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »

No photo cell. Just straight up two socket flood lamp fixture.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.